2021 Cycling Thread

How the fuck does a hub fall to bits??? What exactly came off like?
Haven’t a clue, but all in bits.
Thought initially the cassette had somehow come off but it was all the gubbins/parts within hub.

Can a new hub be put on existing wheel ?
Obviously local bike shop would be doing it ?
Relatively new DT Swiss wheel set

How the fuck does a hub fall to bits??? What exactly came off like?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing axle with push on adapters at the end, a lot of modern freehubs are push on too.
Thought initially the cassette had somehow come off but it was all the gubbins/parts within hub.

Just push it all back together.

You won't need a new freehub. Maybe a new part or two if you didn't pick up all the bits. DT Swiss hubs are class because of how easy they are to take apart and service. I've never heard of one coming apart like that though :lol: (nee offence)

Strange question for all you cyclists out there. Have you got calf muscles? Every cyclist I've ever seen has defined calf muscles except me. Why's that?
Having said that i went to the gym 4/5 times a week for nearly two years and never put an ounce of muscle on there either.:p:oops::D.
My calves are like a prime Arnies, shame the rest of me looks like it was made by Primani 😳

You won't need a new freehub. Maybe a new part or two if you didn't pick up all the bits. DT Swiss hubs are class because of how easy they are to take apart and service. I've never heard of one coming apart like that though :lol: (nee offence)

like I said thought cassette had come off when wheel fell over, and thought fuck it nobody carries a Shimano lock ring on them...then just seemed to fall apart.

fuck knows what happened.

Three times at the Thinford roundabout heading to Ferryhill that I’ve had either impact flats or punctures.

Weird

like I said thought cassette had come off when wheel fell over, and thought fuck it nobody carries a Shimano lock ring on them...then just seemed to fall apart.

fuck knows what happened.

Three times at the Thinford roundabout heading to Ferryhill that I’ve had either impact flats or punctures.

Weird
The cassette lockring won't have come off Shirley. I'm assuming the freehub body has come off the axle? - they are only pushed on anyway but shouldn't fall apart. It should all go back together anyway, even if it needs some new bits or even a new freehub body. Are all the pawls & springs intact? Whatever, it will be a simple job to fix.

Yesterday one of my lads asked me to have a look at the back wheel on his bike cos it was wobbling a bit. It is only an old hybrid-style bike that I built for him to use at uni & although wheel is not very old it has an old fashioned screw-on freewheel. When I took it apart it turns out the actual threaded axle had snapped. He must be putting on weight or summat, but I've never seen that before. Easily fixed with a new axle - £7 from lbs.

Shite that. My set of fulcrums had the hub fall to bits after a year, my bike mechanic said it’s pretty common and the replacement hub was 50% of the price of the wheelset!

The cassette lockring won't have come off Shirley. I'm assuming the freehub body has come off the axle? - they are only pushed on anyway but shouldn't fall apart. It should all go back together anyway, even if it needs some new bits or even a new freehub body. Are all the pawls & springs intact? Whatever, it will be a simple job to fix.

Yesterday one of my lads asked me to have a look at the back wheel on his bike cos it was wobbling a bit. It is only an old hybrid-style bike that I built for him to use at uni & although wheel is not very old it has an old fashioned screw-on freewheel. When I took it apart it turns out the actual threaded axle had snapped. He must be putting on weight or summat, but I've never seen that before. Easily fixed with a new axle - £7 from lbs.
No lock ring didn’t come off but hub off axle...
Dug out a spare rear while which also has the same ultegra cassette. This will do me until I’m on winter bike and will worry/think about it later

Really? Bit before my time, but the amount we get in the shop I thought it was a fairly common occurence. Maybe they're all just showing their age. At least he didn't fuck the freewheel, good luck getting one of those right now :lol:

Last edited:
Where you working like ?
That should say got. I'm back in England now, delaying my return to the working world as long as possible, I've been officially unemployed since April. It's class :lol:

Spoke to a few shops in the NE since I got back about some part time stuff, you might see me in one soon.

That should say got. I'm back in England now, delaying my return to the working world as long as possible, I've been officially unemployed since April. It's class :lol:

Spoke to a few shops in the NE since I got back about some part time stuff, you might see me in one soon.
Bike shops or coffee places...

Let me know where

I can avoid ;)

Chapeau to jumbo, the Dutch winning some positive pr getting the bairn from yesterday to join at the team presentation this morning…

Logon or register to see this image

Pidcock, Hayter & Cav in the GB team for the worlds road race...

personally i think they should just give the jersey to wout van aert now and save all the effort.

Last edited:
I just looked at the results for this year's VTTA national 10 championship. 3rd place went to a 91yr old who's ACTUAL time was 30:16 !!! ffs etc

what's your standard currently ? and what are you capable of currently ?
I wouldn't know what I'm capable of now. I feel like I have a lot less power and it feels like I can't hold a pace for more than a mile or two. I've no idea whether this is down to the heart thing or general old age and decrepitude.
I have no idea whether it would be very sensible to go back to it. I assume doctors would say don't do it but then what the fk do they know. In any case I think I would struggle to find the time - I'm not getting many miles in these days as I have gone back to climbing and we're busy doing other stuff. Retirement is a f***ing busy business.
Ha, I just checked on my current standard for 10. 28:49. That makes it tempting to have a go, but considering what some 91yr olds are doing at the moment it might just end up being a depressing experience. I can still remember what it felt like when I was 59 and was comprehensively beaten on on actual time in a 50 by a 79yr old bloke 😂

I wouldn't know what I'm capable of now. I feel like I have a lot less power and it feels like I can't hold a pace for more than a mile or two. I've no idea whether this is down to the heart thing or general old age and decrepitude.
I have no idea whether it would be very sensible to go back to it. I assume doctors would say don't do it but then what the fk do they know. In any case I think I would struggle to find the time - I'm not getting many miles in these days as I have gone back to climbing and we're busy doing other stuff. Retirement is a f***ing busy business.
Ha, I just checked on my current standard for 10. 28:49. That makes it tempting to have a go, but considering what some 91yr olds are doing at the moment it might just end up being a depressing experience. I can still remember what it felt like when I was 59 and was comprehensively beaten on on actual time in a 50 by a 79yr old bloke 😂
27.12 for me...always thought they're overly "generous" even though I seem to recall they were adjusted a few years back.

Nowhere near am I in the shape of 8 years ago or whatever but that is still easily doable, even on a road bike.

There are some amazing old riders out there mind.

See the junior 10 competition record went the other day, 17.48 and a minute off the record ! :eek: 👏

Back