Glass Animals - How To Be a Human Being
J Hus - Common Sense
Kate Tempest - Let Them Eat Chaos
Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone
Sampha - Process
Stormzy - Gang Signs and Prayer
The Big Moon - Love in the 4th Dimension
The xx - I See You

Haven't listened to many new albums this year, enjoyed Kate tempest, alt-j and the idles album though (they're not on the list)

Fuck off man, Sheeran? I know they always have the odd mainstream nod but haway... :lol:

Pretty weak list. Sampha probably my personal favourite, I'd expect Stormzy to win with Carner/Tempest as good outside bets if you're into that sort of thing.

Nominations are out...

Alt-J - Relaxer
Blossoms - Blossoms
Dinosaur - Together, As One
Ed Sheeran - Divide
J Hus - Common Sense
Sampha - Process
The xx - I See You

Who the hell is Dinosaur? Didn't Dinosaur Jnr have to include the 'Jnr' (decades ago) as there was already a band called Dinosaur?

Nominations are out...

Alt-J - Relaxer
Blossoms - Blossoms
Dinosaur - Together, As One
Ed Sheeran - Divide
J Hus - Common Sense
Sampha - Process
The xx - I See You
I'm not a fan of any of them. There's a lot of hype about Kate Tempest but I don't get it, ditto Blossoms, and I found The XX's new one pretty dull.

I'm both surprised and not surprised at Sleaford Mods not getting a nomination (I reckon they probably shun this kind of thing), but thought Laura Marling would have been up.

My favourite album of the year (Me and That Man) was recorded by an Englishman (with 3 Poles), but again I reckon they wouldn't have entered.

Stormzy won't win surely, what's the point? J Hus winning would do more that scene. It's a (much much) better album than Gang Signs & Prayer as well. He'd be my pick to win it if I had a bet I think.

Tenner on Kate Tempest
6/1... Turned it into £20, done quite well with previous mercury awards, got over £100+ each betting on Young Father's and PJ Harvey

Stormzy won't win surely, what's the point? J Hus winning would do more that scene. It's a (much much) better album than Gang Signs & Prayer as well. He'd be my pick to win it if I had a bet I think.

They won't have either winning with Skepta winning last year, IMO

Petridis nails it in the grauniad:
As usual, there’s nothing from any part of the spectrum of hard rock (“[metal] is a niche genre that many people don’t listen to,” as Mercury prize chair Simon Frith explained some years ago, helpfully explaining why even its biggest names, from Iron Maiden to Black Sabbath to Bring Me the Horizon remain little-known cult figures, sadly unable to attract the kind of vast audience that performance poetry set to post-dubstep soundscapes invariably garners).

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back