18th October Stats

The rate of vaccination seems to have dropped right off, seems to be a risk that 3rd jabs are being delivered too slow

I think an ad hoc press conference would do no harm at this stage …. Not sure if the new health secretary has done one in his new capacity?

I think we all expected ever declining waves, I think as a layperson this is how its going to be, new waves but each wave not as bad as the last.

kids catching it and getting natural immunity isn't a bad thing, of course no one catching it would be great, but we are never not going t have covid now the important thing is we don't let the NHS get overwhelmed, its still under great stresses because of covids past waves, we are heading into cold and flu season, colds help against covid ( read that someplace ) Flus make it worse, so i expect us to have a mixed bag of figures for the rest of the year, but we shouldn't be panicking or do any knee jerk reactions, if you want to help stay clam and don't be afraid to wear a mask if you feel it the right thing to do, it will help against all flu / covid like infections, i am going to on public transport and I am going to be extra careful when visiting the in-laws, at 79 years old, I am going to try and not put them at risk.

The average class size in Spain is around 25 and up to 30 students per class. What is it in the UK?

Other countries aren't testing as much as the UK simply because there aren't as many people with symptoms or getting ill enough to go for treatment.

Under two thousand cases in Spain and Italy compared to 49,000 in the UK suggests that the UK is not on the right track.
Neil Ferguson has given an interview this morning, suggesting immunity could be higher across Europe because we started jabbing more people a lot sooner and that second jabs could be on the wane here. Personally I think that's a bit of scare story to encourage booster jabs.

Neil Ferguson has given an interview this morning, suggesting immunity could be higher across Europe because we started jabbing more people a lot sooner and that second jabs could be on the wane here. Personally I think that's a bit of scare story to encourage booster jabs.

That to me sounds like a load of rubbish like.

No mask wearing indoors and the general attitude and behaviour of some of UK residents towards mask wearing and restrictions in general is to blame in my opinion.

Isn't that what they thought the recent spike in Israel was? It would make sense as they say after 6 months it is reducing effect.

He is usually pretty well on the money, what data are you basing your thinking on?

No mask wearing indoors and the general attitude and behaviour of some of UK residents towards mask wearing and restrictions in general is to blame in my opinion.
Is this based on your expertise as an epidemiologist or internet expert?

Last edited:
He is usually pretty well on the money, what data are you basing your thinking on?
Isn't that what they thought the recent spike in Israel was? It would make sense as they say after 6 months it is reducing effect.
No idea mate.
I'm just repeating what he was saying on the radio mate, I'm no expert.

I'm not sure about it if I'm honest. You're right that people are largely getting on as normal and have accepted this is now how we live, but with the greatest respect mate if you live in Spain then you're just making assumptions about people's behaviour in the UK. I have no idea what restrictions remain in place in other countries, or what other people are doing in those countries. Something doesn't quite add up however.

Last edited:
I'm just repeating what he was saying on the radio mate, I'm no expert.
Me either, I think it was a scientist on twitter saying it. It made sense to me as they referenced the Scottish numbers to ours where masks are still being used and it wasn't much different compared to Europe.

You continue with this snide blaming of "some" UK residents. What you don't seem to understand is that for the vast vast majority of people life is normal again. There is no blame attached to people going to a gig or the match or the pub and not wearing a mask.

Is this based on your expertise as an epidemiologist or internet expert?

Outside looking in
You continue with this snide blaming of "some" UK residents. What you don't seem to understand is that for the vast vast majority of people life is normal again. There is no blame attached to people going to a gig or the match or the pub and not wearing a mask.

No country has been perfect with their decisions. I'm very critical of the Spanish government for completely locking us in for 3 months last year which has had an effect on my mental health and probably my kids as well.

I'm also very critical of mask use outdoors which we had to use for pretty much a year. Indoors I understand.

I'm basically comparing decisions made by the UK and Spanish governments and the general behaviour of UK and Spanish residents and coming to the conclusion I made before.

Life is normal but people are wondering how cases are so high and fear what could lie ahead. Another lockdown for the UK in the Winter?

Last edited:
That bloke from the FT was also on twitter saying the same thing as Ferguson yesterday. I can see a rally around boosters over the bnext couple of weeks.

Outside looking in

No country has been perfect with their decisions. I'm very critical of the Spanish government for completely locking us in for 3 months last year which has had an effect on my mental health and probably my kids as well.

I'm also very critical of mask use outdoors which we had to use for pretty much a year. Indoors I understand.

I'm basically comparing decisions made by the UK and Spanish governments and the general behaviour of UK and Spanish residents and coming to the conclusion I made before.

Life is normal but people are wondering how cases are so high and fear what could lie ahead. Another lockdown for the UK in the Winter?
I would think it is far more likely that countries on the continent will have spike in cases unless they keep social distancing measures intact.

Again, I think we have done precisely the right thing. As a country we need to get back to normal. Cases are through the roof but I see this as a good thing. It is inevitable and should be done in the summer and out of flu season which will soon be upon us.

I think your use of the word blame is loaded and I don't think anyone in UK who is living a normal life as possible is to blame for anything.

Back