12 years ago today Sunderland 2 Newcastle 1 25th October 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Stadium of Light was a cauldron of noise before the game and you couldn't even hear the Newcastle players' names when the announcer read out the teams, thanks to a deafening crescendo of boos.

We started off the better side and took the lead when Cisse was unmarked to score at the back post after Malbranque's cross shot seemed to be overhit. The stadium erupted.

The Mags equalised through a Shola Ameobi header before half time and they could have taken the lead when Ameobi missed a good chance with only Fulop to beat.

On 75 minutes we had a free kick on the edge of the area, I said to my mate in the East Stand that Keiran should aim for the gap that Given had left to his right. Luckily he didn't hear me and unleashed a thunderbolt of a free kick that gave the keeper no chance. Scenes, limbs everywhere, this was one of the SOL's best ever moments.

Cisse almost made it 3-1 when he hit the post with 10 minutes to go and then we had a very nervous last few minutes as the first home win against the Mags in 28 years got tantalisingly close.

At the final whistle, mental scenes everywhere as we finally beat them at home. At the final whistle, it seemed that nobody near me was going home and I reckon over 40,000 ofthe 47,936 stayed to celebrate.

What a day. The evening was brilliant too and the city centre was rocking.

Remember it well. My first away derby game. I remember in the build up hearing that we hadn’t lost on wearside since the jams going underground was number 1. I got in the taxi to the station on matchday morning and that was the song on the radio as I got in so had a bad feeling! I remember the metro stopping somewhere on the way to St. Peter’s and people trying to get on but getting punched back to the platform.

The non existent segregation was always going to lead to the big trouble at the end too

Last edited:
The Stadium of Light was a cauldron of noise before the game and you couldn't even hear the Newcastle players' names when the announcer read out the teams, thanks to a deafening crescendo of boos.

We started off the better side and took the lead when Cisse was unmarked to score at the back post after Malbranque's cross shot seemed to be overhit. The stadium erupted.

The Mags equalised through a Shola Ameobi header before half time and they could have taken the lead when Ameobi missed a good chance with only Fulop to beat.

On 75 minutes we had a free kick on the edge of the area, I said to my mate in the East Stand that Keiran should aim for the gap that Given had left to his right. Luckily he didn't hear me and unleashed a thunderbolt of a free kick that gave the keeper no chance. Scenes, limbs everywhere, this was one of the SOL's best ever moments.

Cisse almost made it 3-1 when he hit the post with 10 minutes to go and then we had a very nervous last few minutes as the first home win against the Mags in 28 years got tantalisingly close.

At the final whistle, mental scenes everywhere as we finally beat them at home. At the final whistle, it seemed that nobody near me was going home and I reckon over 40,000 ofthe 47,936 stayed to celebrate.

What a day. The evening was brilliant too and the city centre was rocking.
Only time I’ve been in a ground to see us beat the Mags (as there is a Mag posting I’ve kept the name civil). I was behind the goal when the ball went in and couldn’t stop dancing about like a loon. Was on a beach when the score came in for one of the 6 in a rows and I replicated the dance to the joy of those around me.

An absolute f***ing mile away from where we are now.
What a great memory to have though. My 1st time seeing us beat them. As mentioned, the ground was full for ages after the whistle.
The memory has made me smile.

Hang on, didn't they have Joe kinnear as their manager then? What the hell!!!

I was right behind the goal when it went in.
That moment, and the final whistle, are 2 of my best memories as a Sunderland fan, and I've been going since the 70s.
Me and my boys were behind the goal too but slightly offset and in direct line of the free kick. It's no exaggeration to say that but for the net, the free kick would have hit us square in the face. What a moment and the memory of the scenes afterwards live on, as you say.

An almost eerie silence as that freekick rushed through the air, the calm before the storm. Then absolute pandemonium when it hit the back of the net. No luck to bail the bastards out this time, unlike the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back