11.11.1967..despite Neil Martin scoring after 1 minute..

Luna17

Winger
.... Stoke City hit back to win 2-1 at the Vic infront of just under 30,000.

John Park, George Kinnell and Brian Heslop played for Safc that day, whilst Calvin Palmer was playing for Stoke City, as was George Eastham.

The referee? A certain Gordon Hill famous for the old Billy Bremner story.

If you haven't heard it, Billy Bremner the Leeds firebrand, said "hey Gordon, if I called you a **** what would you do?"
"Why I'd sent you off Billy for foul and abusive language" replied Hill.
BB then says "Gordon, if I thought you were a **** what would you do?".
"Why Billy, I can't do anything if you just think I'm a ****" replies Hill.
Quick as a flash Bremner says "Gordon I think you're a ****"! :lol:

Met Neil Martin a little while back and had a good old man natter, great talking about Sunderland players and players from other teams in his era. Lovely bloke and a gent.

We signed Calvin Palmer from Stoke, reckon he's an alcholic, if he's still alive.
Edit, just checked he's dead.

Last edited:
My Dad told me that Meil Martin has real problems with his back, that’s why we sold him.
Question for OP: did you used to post on here as Shaun1961?

Last edited:
We signed Calvin Palmer from Stoke, reckon he's an alcholic, if he's still alive.
Edit, just checked he's dead.
Front page story from the Even more Chronic at the time reported that Palmer was in a car smash. He emerged unscathed but well over the limit and Brown binned him off to the reserves. Part of the money we received for Baxter and Neil Martin was wasted on him and a certain Geoff Butler.

Front page story from the Even more Chronic at the time reported that Palmer was in a car smash. He emerged unscathed but well over the limit and Brown binned him off to the reserves. Part of the money we received for Baxter and Neil Martin was wasted on him and a certain Geoff Butler.
Seem to remember him going in goal for us when our keeper got injured.

Back