‘That was for Jimmy’

Status
Not open for further replies.

f***ing hell:

The former Match of the Day presenter Jimmy Hill has enraged campaigners by insisting that racist comments are simply a matter of "fun" between footballers.

In an interview with The Independent published today, Mr Hill leapt to the defence of fellow pundit Ron Atkinson who resigned from ITV last month after describing Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly as a "lazy, f***ing thick nigger".

Atkinson, 65, who accepted he was "an idiot" and apologised, was unaware his microphone was on at the time and the remarks were broadcast in the Middle East.

When asked whether Mr Atkinson should have resigned, Mr Hill insisted it was the "language of the football field".

The 75-year-old, who now presents a weekly programme on Sky Sports, added: "In that context, you wouldn't think that words like nigger were particularly insulting: it would be funny. Without meaning to insult any black men, it's us having fun.

"What about jokes about my long chin? I mean, nigger is black - so we have jokes where we call them niggers because they're black. Why should that be any more of an offence than someone calling me chinny?"

f***ing hell:

The former Match of the Day presenter Jimmy Hill has enraged campaigners by insisting that racist comments are simply a matter of "fun" between footballers.

In an interview with The Independent published today, Mr Hill leapt to the defence of fellow pundit Ron Atkinson who resigned from ITV last month after describing Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly as a "lazy, f***ing thick nigger".

Atkinson, 65, who accepted he was "an idiot" and apologised, was unaware his microphone was on at the time and the remarks were broadcast in the Middle East.

When asked whether Mr Atkinson should have resigned, Mr Hill insisted it was the "language of the football field".

The 75-year-old, who now presents a weekly programme on Sky Sports, added: "In that context, you wouldn't think that words like nigger were particularly insulting: it would be funny. Without meaning to insult any black men, it's us having fun.

"What about jokes about my long chin? I mean, nigger is black - so we have jokes where we call them niggers because they're black. Why should that be any more of an offence than someone calling me chinny?"

@Fugazi - I had been hitherto unaware of this, but it seems all the shit directed at him is probably justified.

Surely you’re delighted you’re being forced out of a stadium with a statue of a racist with a massive chin?

To be honest most of the Cov fans I knew in the early 70s thought JH was an obnoxious prat so I don't understand this more recent love-in over Jim the Chin. Maybe it's a retro nostalgia thing born out of desperation. I know they had a very good young team when Dave Sexton was manager but sold them all off. Not sure if JH was chairman then. He had been manager, then chairman and then presenter for MotD which seems to have gone to his head. Everyone knows his real love was Fulham.

@Fugazi
Surely you’re delighted you’re being forced out of a stadium with a statue of a racist with a massive chin?

To be honest considering the multi racial mix of Coventry that's strange.

Last edited:
The same Jimmy who ran the club so badly that after 20 odd years in the top flight they were in so much debt that when they sold Highfield Road they had to use that money to finance the debt.

Then they put a statue up to him outside the new ground they no longer owned. Some f***ing hero.

Last edited:
At least Jimmy Hill has a permanent home

Coventry City FC dont

f***ing brilliant! :lol:

Voted city of culture ahead of us. What does that say about our 'city'?

Nothing. It’s meaningless.

Sunderland is leagues ahead of Coventry as a place to live, IMO. Anyone who’s been there will surely know what I mean.

Why put city in quotes?

Not only a cheat but a cheat who banged on about fair play.

Jimmy Hill = cheat & hypocrite

Chin chinnery, chin chinnery, chin chin, cheroo,
your beloved club’s nearly as dead as you...

Last edited:
f***ing brilliant! :lol:

Nothing. It’s meaningless.

Sunderland is leagues ahead of Coventry as a place to live, IMO. Anyone who’s been there will surely know what I mean.

Why put city in quotes?

Chin chinnery, chin chinnery, chin chin, cheroo,
your beloved club’s nearly as dead as you...
He certainly left his mark on society as a whole

For years we used to rub our chins if someone was talking shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back