Wrexham Away - 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cheddar Collar.

I was born in 1974 so was before my time, I know all the history of this game but haven't see the footage for years.

If I remember rightly the only time I've come accros it was on an old Sunderland AFC Match of The Day video i once had.

I seem to remember the paddocks that we where packed into going f***ing mental when we scored etc.

Anyone got any links to the action and anybody know how many fans we took there or good tales from the day out etc (it looked a huge away following from memory).

Cheers in advance.

Aye the paddock fences were well high.
It was challege to get over them.
I seem to remeber carrying Bob Lee around on my shoulders on the pitch after the game (for about 5 yards anyway).
It was all a drunken blur in them days.

It was mint and the Sunderland fans were a class above.

Daft as could be but big numbers, non-stop singing and incredible support ........ there was one of those mad religious nutters with a sandwich board outside the ground.

His placard said, 'Prepare to meet thy Doom'.

Little did we know :confused:

Magic moments. Alan Brown scored the second and we all went crazy. When Stoke scored in their game to keep us down it seemed like the end of the world. Remember the line of coaches parked along the road stretching on and on. Another long journey home.

Aye the paddock fences were well high.
It was challege to get over them.
I seem to remeber carrying Bob Lee around on my shoulders on the pitch after the game (for about 5 yards anyway).
It was all a drunken blur in them days.
I was behind the goal with my mates, and and there was Sunderland fans packed in down the side of the pitch too, it was absolutely mental when we scored the two goals, and the noise after the 2nd and winning goal was scored by Alan Brown, was unbelievable and the noise just seemed to go on for ages, as we were all going mental and roaring the Lads to victory after being 1-0 down.
At the end of the game a huge roar went up from us lot and we scaled the fences, which were a twat to get over, and we were all on the pitch near the centre circle, singing our songs and believing we'd been promoted, but during our celebrations there was an announcement that Stoke had won at Notts County, and they'd got promoted instead of us.
To say we were all f***ing gutted would be an understatement after celebrating our promotion and then having it suddenly snatched out of our grasp, was a huge kick in the teeth for the team and the fans.

Was behind the goal, jam packed. Got on the pitch at the end jumping all ower until heard the Stoke score and was just devastated then the Wrexham lot in their end started cheering cos Stoke had won so some of our lot charged down. They quickly ran like fuck. Awful journey home.

Was behind the goal, jam packed. Got on the pitch at the end jumping all ower until heard the Stoke score and was just devastated then the Wrexham lot in their end started cheering cos Stoke had won so some of our lot charged down. They quickly ran like fuck. Awful journey home.
Aye the stupid Wrexham fans who stayed behind to take the piss about us not going up were given a good hiding by our lot, as there was a charge up the field, and the corner flags were hoyed into the Wrexham fans, and those that didn't run when they had the chance to, were kicked fuck out of.

Game was a blur,i think we were in a paddock down the side of the pitch,was,nt like proper terracing seemed only to be the height of a kerb,gutted on the journey home.

I was behind the goal with my mates, and and there was Sunderland fans packed in down the side of the pitch too, it was absolutely mental when we scored the two goals, and the noise after the 2nd and winning goal was scored by Alan Brown, was unbelievable and the noise just seemed to go on for ages, as we were all going mental and roaring the Lads to victory after being 1-0 down.
At the end of the game a huge roar went up from us lot and we scaled the fences, which were a twat to get over, and we were all on the pitch near the centre circle, singing our songs and believing we'd been promoted, but during our celebrations there was an announcement that Stoke had won at Notts County, and they'd got promoted instead of us.
To say we were all f***ing gutted would be an understatement after celebrating our promotion and then having it suddenly snatched out of our grasp, was a huge kick in the teeth for the team and the fans.
Aye! I was in the side! danced like a twat in the centre circle, then they announced that result, we all just stopped then trudged off in silence
what a f***ing long journey home that was..:-(

3 sides of The Racecourse SAFC, 3 of us in one of the side paddocks (south?) with hundreds of other Mackems. Great atmosphere. We thought we'd been promoted at the final whistle and there was huge celebration going on, then the news came in from the Stoke match :-(.

we stood on the side next to that little church thing. remember the team bus overtaking us on the way home and all the players waving at us. bittersweet really. i was 13 then.

we stood on the side next to that little church thing. remember the team bus overtaking us on the way home and all the players waving at us. bittersweet really. i was 13 then.

We were in Wrexham really early that morning, an old local bloke got talking and told us that they would shut most of the pubs in the town and advised us to go to this hotel where we could get a bite and a pint!
as it turned out it was the hotel the Sunderland team were in!
round about 12 o'clock Billy Elliot walked across the dinning area up to a table were unbeknown to us sat certain members of the SAFC board It looked like Elliot was getting a right old bollocking, sure enough the next morning he was sacked.

Great day out the welsh birds loved us, and the Wrexham player Fox done his best again, with Dai Davies etc

In all fairness we really should have had promotion sealed well before the Wrexham game, because out of our 3 remaining home games we disasterously lost to Blackburn (who were relegated) and in our last home game against Cardiff, with us top of the league, we somehow lost that game and made it difficult for ourselves at Wrexham, knowing that even if we did win the Wrexham game, promotion wasn't entirely in our hands coz of the two unexpected slip ups at home.

Aye was there must be in the top 3 gutted Sunderland moments :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back