Wouldn't it be wonderful if our chairman....

Been told this week Patto has agreed terms with Liverpool. Not a source I usually get info from but has links with the club.
Anybody heard similar or the opposite in fact ?

Will be hard to keep Clarke as he is definitely a £40k a week player, and we would probably only be able to stretch to £20k maximum.

Thankfully he isn't a dick who was deliberately trying to run his contract down and we should be able to get a decent fee for him in the summer.

We can't afford the wages clarke would require and I believe we are only allowed to increase our wage bill by a certain amount each year under efls financial fair play ( I may be wrong slightly on that)
Might not necessarily be about a massive wage hike with Clarke to silly amounts to sign say a years extension to protect his value.
May just need a modest amount with assurances that the team will be improved in the relevant areas this summer…strikers, dcm and manager, to actually have a decent pop at promotion, and if that doesn’t work, assurances that he can leave the summer after if he wishes.
It would require kld and co to put their hands in their pockets this summer, and sell a lot of the shit we have, but if it didn’t work Clarke could leave the summer after so they could recoup a fair chunk of the extra investment they’d have to put in this summer

But I suspect any of this is way and above any sort of ambition the board have to actually have a decent crack at going up
Been told this week Patto has agreed terms with Liverpool. Not a source I usually get info from but has links with the club.
Be a shocking move for him, may do well financially but he’s never getting in before Alisson so could have years sitting on the bench when really career wise for a keeper he needs to be playing

Last edited:
No club in this league should be paying players 50k+ a week.

I don't like Speakman or KLD but Clarke is going to get a PL or top flight move one way or the other, whether we get a fee or he goes for free. We can't pay PL money unless we are taking a massive gamble on going up.

The issue I have is that Speakman can't be trusted to find a decent replacement and KLD doesn't seem to reinvest money from the few we've sold already nevermind spend his own money.

Its now very clear that KLD isn't going to pump vast sums money into the club and take the gamble that we get promoted and he makes a profit that way, so as you say, within our "sustainable" plan its obvious that our best players are always going to be able to earn more at a higher level. Anything extra we pay them means we have less to spend elsewhere.

None of us are going to be happy losing our better players, but it is inevitable with the current approach. What is absolutely essential is we get good fees for them AND use it wisely.

Most of the young players we have recruited so far are very promising in my opinion, they aren't aweful like some here seem to believe, but they are young, learning and inconsistent and aren't the answer to what we need to improve our position on their own. They will also learn much quicker if they have more older more experienced players amongst them - both in training and on matchday.

4 years remaining on his contract, so the clubs would have had to agree a huge fee before even letting him talk to them. From his point of view it depends whether he wants to play or wants a huge sum of money to not play, I guess!

Last edited:
Unfortunately there isn’t really an option to keep Clarke, we need him gone so that we can strengthen in other areas. There won’t be any money to do that if he stays. That’s the problem with this model, unless we have 4 or 5 players hitting form at the same time like Clarke has done then it’s unlikely that we get promoted & we will lose our best player/s every season.
Good point about needing 4 or 5 players hitting form at once.

But i look at the squad every so often and wonder how many might just click (like Clarke did) all of a sudden and put themselves into first team regular positions.

Clarke obviously, but also Patterson, Hume, Ballard, Cirkin (when fit) maybe Alese, Neil, possibly Ekwah, Bellingham, Rigg could all bring a few quid in if sold in the summer, but we aren't going to sell all of them.

The look at Matty Young, Tom Watson, (Huggins and Seelt need to recover) Hjelde, Ba, Mundle, Bennette.. Who's to say this time next year some of those won't be first team regulars.

We do have a lot of talent at the club.

Back