Would you support the lads if

Two of my boys were born in Newcastle. Where I lived at the time. They are Sunderland as my dad and grandad were. Don’t think it’s down to the postcode you were born in.

I was born in Boston ( Lincolnshire) & am the son of an East Rainton fella so if options were indeed a choice.. do I inherit this blessed cursed rollercoaster of being a MLF or, as most in this county do, support whoever's 'winning' or Boston Utd?
Not a chance !
I'd not have swapped it for anything. It's the best curse in history and my son has thanked me for his inheritance.
Experiencing the highs with him can never be explained to a glory hunting fan and the fact that the lows far far outweigh the highs make this ride unique.

Born in Aldershot, moved here when I was 4. Parents from Sunderland. Tbh I would have ended up following whoever my dad did. Me, Him, Mam and brother all Sunderland till die, and my god it’s a rollercoaster. Absolutely love it.
You poor sod.

What a f***ing shithole that is.

My commiserations marra.
Born in Doncaster to a Donny Da, and Consett Ma. Brought up in Derby, Belmont and Hetton.
Ma's family arl Lads fans, and I caught the bug even living in Derby at the time.
As a bairn I got to see Cloughies Derby at the Baseball ground, but my first experience of the promised land (Roker) just grabbed my heart, and wadn't let go.
I bleed red and white.
Lived in Devon now for 43 years, but my football heart is forever The Lads thank fuck. Wadn't change it for the world.
My Da played for Donny Rovers and it always gripped his shit that I fell for The Lads. Even when I had trials for Doncaster and was there for 4 months as a teenager, I still really didn't give a fuck about them tbh.
Always been The Lads for me. 😁

Last edited:
If I was born in Gloucester and had no family.connections from Sunderland I would absolutely support The Lads if I was into self abuse.

I remember some fan survey ages ago finding that an appreciable number of fans started supporting Sunderland because of the flying boat. 😄
I’ve got an air fix Sunderland to make one day, was always fascinated by it so can kind of see how that would happen. Went to the Short museum in Ireland last time I was over, worth a visit if interested in such things.

Back