Worst Sunderland managers in your time supporting?

Surprised at how few mentions Johnson has had compared to Parkinson. Appreciate that the football under Parkinson was beyond grim and his appointment felt symptomatic of where we were as a club at that point under Donald's ownership but some of the hammerings we took under Johnson were shameful.

Even though he didn't get any time to work with the likes of Batth, Roberts and Clarke, we should have absolutely pissed League One that season even with the squad he had available.

Christ….being of the older persuasion, I have an array of duff managers to choose from!
McColl
Brown
McMenemy (probably gets the vote for worst given the hype and the hope)
Butcher
Buxton
Wilkinson
Moyes
Grayson
Coleman
……just typing that list out is depressing.
Definately McColl

Parkinson

Got to be hasn’t it. Worst manager in worst division was Parkinson.
For being the biggest mercenary McEnemy,
For being a failure but still thought he was to good for us Moyes
Buxton as that was as low as I got before Moyes and the 4 seasons to follow.

At least Buxton was a decent bloke.

I’m not suggesting they weren’t awful here. I suppose it depends if the question is about them as coaches in general, or specifically how they did while at SAFC.

Parkinson and Beale are deeply uninspiring people who haven’t and won’t achieve anything in the game at any decent level.
Neither Beale or Parkinson have or had the capability to be as bad as a manager at Sunderland as both Wilkinson or Moyes were. Your argument is just flawed. It’s like saying that Danny Graham isn’t one of the worst players ever to have played for Sunderland because he once scored 12 goals in a Premier League season for Swansea.

Neither Beale or Parkinson have or had the capability to be as bad as a manager at Sunderland as both Wilkinson or Moyes were. Your argument is just flawed. It’s like saying that Danny Graham isn’t one of the worst players ever to have played for Sunderland because he once scored 12 goals in a Premier League season for Swansea.
Worst manager, is different to worst Sunderland manager.

Two were terrible here, the other two are just terrible.

1.McMenemy
2.Moyes
3.Wilkinson
4.Butcher
5.Poyet
6.Ashurst

Not qualified to comment on the last 6/7 years as i had enough after the Moyes season and basically switched off from football until Mowbray came along.

Moyes and Wiko for sure had the better resources to work with at the times of their appointments. I will agree here. Unfortunately for us Moyes seemingly didn't give a toss and ended up with a nice wad of pay and Wilko couldn't organise a Tesco staff rota.

1 McMenemy
2 Moyes
3 Grayson
I remember being in the Fulwell End for McMenemys first home game, everyone clapping him out onto the pitch, the saviour we all wanted. What an absolute disaster he was. Of all the managers we have had since, I still think he was the worst

I thought I had addressed that in my first post?
Your first post in this thread which stated:

“Beale and Parky are the worst two by far.

Wilko and Moyes were also terrible here but had success elsewhere.”???

Therefore in your opinion Beale and Parkinson are the worst two Sunderland managers in your time supporting - by far. If you think that either did (or in the case of Beale will do) worse or more damage than either Wilkinson or Moyes as Sunderland manager then you are very wrong!

Your first post in this thread which stated:

“Beale and Parky are the worst two by far.

Wilko and Moyes were also terrible here but had success elsewhere.”???

Therefore in your opinion Beale and Parkinson are the worst two Sunderland managers in your time supporting - by far. If you think that either did (or in the case of Beale will do) worse or more damage than either Wilkinson or Moyes as Sunderland manager then you are very wrong!
I’m judging them on the abhorrent football they have us playing, and the relative lack of success for the level we are at.

They will both go down in history as two of the bleakest appointments in our entire run as a club.

Back