Winnie the Pooh

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Omega Man

Got talking to the bairns tonight - 10 and 12 - asked them about their favourite tv programme ever. Came up with Winnie the Pooh

Genius or rubbish?

Got talking to the bairns tonight - 10 and 12 - asked them about their favourite tv programme ever. Came up with Winnie the Pooh

Genius or rubbish?

Mine would say Peppa Pig and Sponge Bob Square Pants. There would then be a fight over what was to watched. The two year old would win as she has a mean punch.

I didnt know that the story of Winnie The Pooh is based on an actual bear and linked to a Candian soldier in WW1! Did anyone see this story a few minutes ago on the BBC News? Fascinating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh

Christopher Milne had named his toy bear after Winnie, a Canadian black bear he often saw at London Zoo, and "Pooh", a swan they had met while on holiday. The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his adopted hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie" was surreptitiously brought to England with her owner, and gained unofficial recognition as The Fort Garry Horse regimental mascot. Colebourn left Winnie at the London Zoo while he and his unit were in France; after the war she was officially donated to the zoo, as she had become a much loved attraction there.

What a great story.

A bit more

As he was heading across Canada by train to the training camp at Valcartier, Quebec where he was to embark for overseas duty during World War I, Colebourn came across a hunter in White River, Ontario who had a female black bear cub for sale. The hunter had killed the cub's mother and sold the cub to Colebourn for $20. Colebourn named her "Winnie," after his adopted hometown, and took her across the Atlantic with him to Salisbury Plain, where she became an unofficial mascot of The Fort Garry Horse, a Militia cavalry regiment. Colebourn himself was a member of the Royal Canadian Army Veterinary Corps, attached to the Fort Garry Horse as a veterinarian. While Colebourn served three years in France, attaining the rank of major, he kept Winnie at the London Zoo to whom he eventually donated her.[1]

Logon or register to see this image

Colebourn is buried in a military cemetery in Canada underneath a regulation grave marker.

It was at the London Zoo that A.A. Milne and his son Christopher Robin Milne encountered Winnie.[2] Christopher was so taken with her that he named his teddy bear after her, which became the inspiration for Milne's fictional character in the books Winnie-the-Pooh 1926 and The House at Pooh Corner 1928. Milne also included several poems about Winnie-the-Pooh in the children’s poetry books When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six. All four volumes were illustrated by E. H. Shepard. Winnie would stay at the zoo until she died in 1934.

The individual story tv episodes are a bit crap but the films are nice enough for the younger kids.

I adore this song from one of the films. After a few listens it firmly lodges in your brain almost as bad as a Frozen song.

The individual story tv episodes are a bit crap but the films are nice enough for the younger kids.

I adore this song from one of the films. After a few listens it firmly lodges in your brain almost as bad as a Frozen song.
From the Heffalump film I think. Must have watched it 2 or 3 dozen times with both bairns when they were little. Superb.

Reactions: moo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back