Will Still (managerial suggestion)

I put it on another thread but this is a pretty candid video following him around from about six weeks ago which may be of interest (need to click to watch it on YouTube):

May at least break up the monotony of the same posters having the same discussions, making the same verbatim points on repeat..
Good video. Seems very focussed and intense. I like him.

I just don't get why we wouldn't pay the compensation for a head coach/manager. Look at what McKenna has done at Ipswich. He has turned mediocre players into top championship ones who are now on the verge of Premier League football. The next appointment is vital and I would much rather a lot of our budget go on a competent and exciting head coach.
I agree with the point about the coach appointment being critical and we shouldn’t be scared to spend the money to get one in but I don’t think McKenna would have had a big release clause at Man Utd.

He was predominantly a youth group coach who had only recently been in and around their first team with rangnick. What we should definitely learn from Ipswich is they identified their man and took a risk with a young unproven coach because they were prepared to support and back him.

Unfortunately after Neil this lot had Mowbray fall into their lap then apparently bottled the still appointment due to release clauses and ended up with Beale and now we have Dodds …..complete and utter fuck up

Don't think the issue to getting him last time was not being able to bring his entire staff, it will have been the compensation fee. I reckon they'll let him bring a handful of people with him, like his brothers, and he'll take that compromise.

How many clubs these days sack all their staff and let the new guy bring his entire staff? It seems very disruptive financially silly.

That interview Still did in December made him look a liar or a fool and he's gone down in my estimation. Saying the Sunderland link tarnished his image, that it was all lies. Then why didn't he come out and categorically deny it? He was being coy, there was obviously truth in them. Then he says he didn't know he had a 6m clause in his contract... How can you not know that? Release clauses are quite a big part of a contract right below wages and length. He was also protesting too much that he's not disloyal or sneaky.

So let me get this argument straight: he’s gone down in your estimation because he’s basically engineered a move to us and is bang up for the job?

He’s ambitious.

Glad somebody in the club will be.

(Caveat: if he comes).

So let me get this argument straight: he’s gone down in your estimation because he’s basically engineered a move to us and is bang up for the job?

He’s ambitious.

Glad somebody in the club will be.

(Caveat: if he comes).
The media at the time made it sound like he was begging for the job. Even if it was true he would have try and change the narrative while he was still at Reims.

What’s the issue with that? If he does it to come to us he’ll likely do it again to move on

C’est la vie.

What’s the average shelf life for managers now?

He’ll only pull it off if he succeeds.

We’re not going to keep a really good and successful manager for decades. That’s just not the modern game, not unless you are top four Prem. And even then it’s getting rarer.

Like Kenwyne Jones. It goes on all the time.

And that went very well!
The media at the time made it sound like he was begging for the job. Even if it was true he would have try and change the narrative while he was still at Reims.

Good. He knows England is the place to be for an ambitious Englishman.

He wants to be in the Premier League and so do we.

Last edited:
I put it on another thread but this is a pretty candid video following him around from about six weeks ago which may be of interest (need to click to watch it on YouTube):

May at least break up the monotony of the same posters having the same discussions, making the same verbatim points on repeat..
Some interesting comments on that video from Reims fans. He’s clearly well liked with some hoping he’ll stay and others accepting he’ll move onto bigger things

C’est la vie.

What’s the average shelf life for managers now?

He’ll only pull it off if he succeeds.

We’re not going to keep a really good and successful manager for decades. That’s just not the modern game, not unless you are top four Prem. And even then it’s getting rarer.

And that went very well!

Good. He knows England is the place to be for an ambitious Englishman.

He wants to be in the Premier League and so do we.
Thought Still was Belgian ?

Back