What's a Geordie

Jeez it’s likes they’re brainwashed.
Only them are bothered about it.

The rest of the country couldn’t give a shiny shite.

Evidently
Not sure that’s quite ‘generally accepted’ but the other strong candidate also has ha’way as the correct version.

Comes from ‘have way’ or to allow someone to go ahead and pass you.

Like Howay / Ha’way in - when invited a guest into your house.
That Tyneside Life blerk is a reet knacker. Loves to take the piss out of Sunderland. Tosser.

He’s another grifter latching on the relative upturn in our fortunes post takeover. There’s a video when he’s on a coach to an away game and it’s clear its done thing he’s done very little of if ever before.

Still he’s marginally more attractive than Kendall Rowan…

Last edited:

The SAFC episode of Auf Weidersehen was on last night. From 1983. The Sunderland fans were described as Geordies.

John Hall came in and caused great division.

We wouldn't get anywhere near being featured if the programme was produced today.

Why oh why oh why do they constantly need reassurance? A video like this almost seems like they require daily confirmation. On top of the constant confirmation and reminders, the Geordie bingo phrases like …..we’re git canny up here, we’re friendly, we like having a laugh, we don’t wear coats when oot on the toon etc.
It’s strange, not least because these are things other people are supposed to say about a you, not espoused by the person………eg most normal people wouldn’t go about telling other people they themselves are git canny.
The regularity of the catch phrases makes you think it’s almost like marketing tactics. But ultimately it’s fake nice, there’s something unauthentic about it.
Blackhall born n bred (hpool now), Id never ever claim to be a mackem when asked, as Im not. Why does every single one of their backward followers want to be known as jawdees?

Blackhall born n bred (hpool now), Id never ever claim to be a mackem when asked, as Im not. Why does every single one of their backward followers want to be known as jawdees?

There’s a weird patriotism to it and self-congratulatory about it all. If I didn’t know, I would have thought it was a parody and them being in on their own joke……..but they are deadly serious 🤣

I think that the term Geordie was nothing to do with location, born within a mile of the tyne etc

It all came about when King George was on the throne and George became a very popular name amongst the working classes.
When the well to do needed some manual work doing they got a few "Georges" in which became "Geordies" over time.

So basically it was the slang for the working classes at the time which has been romanticised over the years into what it is today.
There are numerous possibilities.

Every proper football fan loves Noocarsell as their second team.

King Kev, Big Al, the famous number 9.

The trophy cabinet full of ……….err hang on The Isle of Man invitational Golf Cup

Really?

Been a Sunderland supporter since the late 50's. Born in County Durham. Grew in County Durham. Live in County Durham. Will die in County Durham.

Exactly the same as Sunderland AFC. THE County Durham club.
Must be scary knowing the exact date you're gonna die.
Unless you never leave County Durham of course.

Geordies live on the North or South Bank of the Tyne. The north will always be Northumberland and the South Co Durham. I have a lot of marras who are happy to be Geordies who are MLF’s. It was the former Sunderland supporter John Hall who in need to rally support amongst the gullible came out with this Geordie Nation bollocks

Absolutely correct.

Pretty sure wasn’t so tribal when a kid. Let the strange dressing, horse punching weirdos just get on with it. Keegan turning up turned them into right……. Just my opinion….

Pretty sure wasn’t so tribal when a kid. Let the strange dressing, horse punching weirdos just get on with it. Keegan turning up turned them into right……. Just my opinion….
It wasn’t. The turning point was the premier league and the mag shirt off Sky obsession

I don’t remember the term mackem being used much in the late 80s/early 90s as a kid growing up.

I’m sure I’ve a Sunderland annual from 91 which says the official nickname was the Rokerites.

Back