what is your main motivation to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A few investments. I could always be self-employed or pick up a bit of p/t work.
Ah - so you are going to be a capitalist bastard!

Sounds like a great plan to me.

I think the average lifespan between retirement and dying is 10 years. Be fooked if that's all I'm getting. Telt the kids the only thing they're getting is the house and that's it. Sell it and share the proceeds. From 55 onwards I'll be pissing it up far and wide as much as I can. In fact from next year at 48, off to Barbados for the test match so there's one off me to do list.
Barbados is on my possible retirement locations.

Dunno, I think working is good for you, I had an easy set up a few years back and got bored so went back to work more.

If I won big on the lottery I would still do something. Whether that is some kind of work or research where pay is unimportant. I've got so many things I want to do and so little time to fit them in. A lottery win would be life-changing in more than one sense for me. Work is something that takes up far too much time but I do it to pay the bills.

that's the problem, the market is just so quiet. I trade interest rates, the UK base rate hasn't moved for 5+ years!!!

there's a definite exodus from finance that I'm seeing for sure

regulation. it's just not as profitable as it used to be.

I know a guy who has made roughly £20m for a bank this year. in the old times you'd prob get a 8-10% split of that. he is in line for none of it. admittedly he has a nice salary of course.

Around here they've cut the bonus right back but left the salary the same.

Like what I do and hope to keep doing it until I die. Doesnt make a lot of money but basically pays the bills without dipping into savings.

I never trust governments to keep their end of pension bargains so having some control as i get older is good.

Like what I do and hope to keep doing it until I die. Doesnt make a lot of money but basically pays the bills without dipping into savings.

I never trust governments to keep their end of pension bargains so having some control as i get older is good.

So money basically

Passion and belief in the career I'm in, to set a good example to my son and to show him with hard work and dedication you can achieve what you set out to be.

Also to prove a lot of people wrong and to show that just because your a young single parent does not mean you are stereotypically on benefits and living off the system and that you can actually become a successful woman with a child and a career :)

Reactions: JJH
I need money to exist as I need to put a roof over mine and my family's heads. I need to put food on the table as we need food to exist. The wheel turns.

After that, there's things that we like to do.

I'm Lucky enough to be able to do some nice things. I enjoy my life.

Even though I'll have a fair rant now and then.

Last edited:
Home and food for the family.

Then when I'm 55, make sure they're all out, and retire early. Might let the wife stay.
Ah yes,the old "I'm retiring when I'm 55" pipe dream .

The little fish hear the big fish spout this utter rubbish and try and impress everyone with the idea.

Money for myself obviously ,
Finding a wage for my lads,
Maintaining my reputation,
A massive fear of not letting anyone down is probs my biggest motivation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back