The Like Button

That part really isnt up for debate anymore.

It is though, because you keep changing what you're meaning. First you said the like button from this site, then you go on about other sites which I take it you mean Instagram and Facebook. You're meaning people's mental health due to likes (or not enough) on their photos or showing off what is a totally fake life and I do agree it's fickle and the reason why Instagram briefly removed that function.

This is a text based site and was the point of your thread. No one here is posting photos to get likes though, a like on a post is to acknowledge it or agree with it. You're getting likes on text based posts and likes on a picture site mixed up but the two are totally different.

It is though, because you keep changing what you're meaning. First you said the like button from this site, then you go on about other sites which I take it you mean Instagram and Facebook. You're meaning people's mental health due to likes (or not enough) on their photos or showing off what is a totally fake life and I do agree it's fickle and the reason why Instagram briefly removed that function.

This is a text based site and was the point of your thread. No one here is posting photos to get likes though, a like on a post is to acknowledge it or agree with it. You're getting likes on text based posts and likes on a picture site mixed up but the two are totally different.

Same issue tbf, text is even more brutal than photos.

I have been following the reports for years, and witnessed mental health problems from family and relatives which confirms the studies.

That part really isnt up for debate anymore.
Could you link some scientific studies in reputable publications that say the 'like' button is the cause of these people's problems. I'm having trouble finding any.

This old chestnut yet again, ffs, who seriously gives a fuck about likes on here? There’s some good crack about likes, there’s maybe only a handful of posters, if that, who care about likes.
A more responsible way of dealing with the issue would be for a ‘Like warning’ sticky to want those of the issues surrounding looking for real life validation through social media.

For those of us that can see it for what it is, leave us be and stop trying to go for a wholesale change just for your own agenda. If the like button offends so much, stop posting. Don’t expect the whole place to change just for one person.

Back