The goalkeeper situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyLove

Striker
Seems everyone is now getting sidetracked by this. Pardew, their fans, our fans, the media.

Is it really the biggest issue in the build up or going to play that much of a part in determining the outcome.

Part of me thinks we don't have that many shots on target anyway and the ball will spend most of the time in a midfield battle. It could even be counter productive for us as opposed to them keeping it tight they might be forced to go for it more and attack.

Or is it going to be pivotal in the sense that it will affect their entire team as it can sometimes when the defence and rest of outfield have little confidence in the keeper?

If Alnwick plays I'd have Johnson and Wickham on the wings and put as many balls into the box as possible, he's proven him and crosses don't mix so why not utilise it

I don't see how there is a "goalkeeper issue". When Krul and Elliott got injured the mags applied to the PL for an emergency loan. They were turned down on the basis that they have Alnwick, woodman and that kid at Forest - the rules state you have to have only one fit keeper and the PL were including the lad at forest as nufc had him listed in their squad. That situation hasn't changed, they have 2 keepers fit. It's their own fault for not knowing the rules on PL squad management

I would suggest it could have a massive impact on the game. Tactically I'd be looking to put a lot of pressure on the lad getting the ball from back to front a lot quicker and into their box at every opportunity. There'd be no short corners or free kicks - they'd all be getting hoyed in the mix. Long throws n'arl and a shoot on sight policy. However, I would guess that Gus wouldn't see it this way and would continue to play at our usual go slow tempo.

If Alnwick plays I'd have Johnson and Wickham on the wings and put as many balls into the box as possible, he's proven him and crosses don't mix so why not utilise it
Get wickham in the middle and Alvarez on the wing. Alnwick won't handle wickham IMO

Seems everyone is now getting sidetracked by this. Pardew, their fans, our fans, the media.

Is it really the biggest issue in the build up or going to play that much of a part in determining the outcome.

Part of me thinks we don't have that many shots on target anyway and the ball will spend most of the time in a midfield battle. It could even be counter productive for us as opposed to them keeping it tight they might be forced to go for it more and attack.

Or is it going to be pivotal in the sense that it will affect their entire team as it can sometimes when the defence and rest of outfield have little confidence in the keeper?

I would take a punt that Poyet might have a bit of change of tactics if Alnwick plays (or other inexperienced keeper), crossers will be coming in a lot sooner and a from a lot deeper.

The way they are banging on about it wont help Alnwick if he does play, nor the confidence of the defenders in front of him. Hope the premier league stick to their guns and dont bow to pressure

I would set up and use the same tatics regardless of who was in goal. If became apparant during the game he was struggling with a certain aspect, for example crosses then maybe target him. Just like you if say the left back was having a bad game. It's something that will pan out during play more than anything. For what it's worth I reckon the Mags will come flying out the blocks and look for an early goal.

Not sure how much impact it'll have but I'll definitely take it.

I kept saying we needed to beat WHU to go into the derby on a win. So I was feeling a bit flat coming out of the ground.

8 goals and a bit of mag flapping later and I'm feeling quietly confident.

Still be cock-a-hoop with a point though. Then get 3 off Hull and we're going to Villa in a healthy position and 1 defeat in 10 (vs the champions).

Feeling positive.

Not such an important issue if they've got the ball and it's in our half. Only an issue if we've got the ball and it's somewhere near their goal, which might be a bit of a rarity given our recent form. But can only be a plus for us.

He'll probably have a f***ing blinder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back