The FA cup

The F**ked About Cup. The bleating from Premier League clubs who then play exhibition matches in countries with no indigenous competition and sometimes of dubious character, using unsustainable transport, when they are 'resting'.

With all of these concessions I bet they won't have to field at least 8 of the players from their last league match to try an retrieve some semblance of status.

Romance is pretty much dead.

Or get the choice as playing away could be a huge money maker .
Wouldn't agree with letting them choose tbh. Most of the memorable FA Cup shocks have been where the big team plays away. Sadly most clubs would probably opt for the money nowadays and it would make shocks almost non existent, which I think would really put a nail in the coffin of the competition.

Exactly, for those of us who were there probably the best match we saw at Roker Park.

As for the smaller clubs having a better chance if it's decided on the day never forget Hereford United drew at Newcastle and beat them in the replay at Edgar Street, a double humiliation for that lot!
But equally if there had never been replays there might have been loads of other great nights for our club, or other clubs, that didn't happen because they ended up with a "very nearly" draw and got hammered in the away game. I don't think a couple of mint examples of replays really says the argument one way or the other tbh

Wouldn't agree with letting them choose tbh. Most of the memorable FA Cup shocks have been where the big team plays away. Sadly most clubs would probably opt for the money nowadays and it would make shocks almost non existent, which I think would really put a nail in the coffin of the competition.
Aye thinking about it you have a point there, was just thinking about the financial aspect for the smaller clubs .

While money and greed continue to rule, specifically due to European football and the lure of matches abroad, the devaluation of our domestic cups will only get worse. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if within the next 5 years there are occasional Premier League matches played abroad, which could lead to things like teams pulling out of the cups altogether and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the League Cup cease to exist altogether one day.

While money and greed continue to rule, specifically due to European football and the lure of matches abroad, the devaluation of our domestic cups will only get worse. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if within the next 5 years there are occasional Premier League matches played abroad, which could lead to things like teams pulling out of the cups altogether and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the League Cup cease to exist altogether one day.
Fergie started this.

They should have banned the bastards for ten years for failing to put a team in. Their youths could have matched most sides then n gained a great experience.

I’d rather they’d kept a third round replay and made the league cup semi a one-off tie at a neutral ground to free up a midweek.

Obviously a third body (Football League) own the league cup though and would have had to concede ground.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm absolutely fine with replays going. Realistically a lot of fans don't bother with the cup games and I think knowing that the match you're attending will actually have a winner on the day might help a little bit. Equally you often see small clubs battle well at home, get a draw, and then inevitably get hammered by the bigger club when they have to go away. Admittedly I'm sure the revenue is huge for them, but from a footballing perspective I like seeing shock results and I reckon there'll be more of them if those games are played to a finish. There's fewer examples of a small team drawing away and then winning the return. Glad the games will be on a weekend. Can fully understand traditionalists not agreeing mind. I'm normally one of them, but this isn't a change that I'm particularly annoyed about.
It's like you say mate revenue is bloody like winning the lotto to some of those clubs when they pull a big club and somehow play toa replay. It's another nail in the coffin of it tbh.

You would see a different attitude to the FA cup from premier league teams, if the winner got into the Champions league. As it is they often play mostly the 2nd team up to the semi final .

That’s a bit of a myth this season. Apart from the keeper it’s been mainly first teams this season with maybe the odd kid chucked in. The PL winter break has helped it.

May as well go back to having no subs, a ball that weighs a tonne and bring back the pass back rule if you are really keen on tradition.
Some updates are beneficial to the game in general, like the ones you mentionedđź‘Ť. Scrapping replays has been done to benefit the top 6 only and nobody else.
Should get rid if extra time too while there at it and go straight to pens
Why not scrap the 2nd half while they are on and toss a coin if it's all square at half time?
Why not scrap the 2nd half while they are on and toss a coin if it's all square at half time?
Some updates are beneficial to the game in general, like the ones you mentionedđź‘Ť. Scrapping replays has been done to benefit the top 6 only and nobody else.

Last edited:

Back