Thames Water

On the interest rate thread people are saying lenders need to be careful that borrowers can make repayments. Yet in this case lenders have dished out £16b which has been spunked to shareholders

You’d expect shit like this ti happen in Russia. Taking a massive wage, running up debt, not investing and then dumping hazardous waste on the sly. Should be prison sentences.

A natural product, serving £14 million in debt.
Absolute disgrace.

They poisoned one of the Rivers down here, the Cherwell.
We lost a few fish on our club water, a few years back, the EA got them to re-stock.

Just common now to see the clouds from the outpouring of treated sewage.
No fish, a dead river. Country a disgrace.
Club now disbanded, I gave up.

Last edited:
Exclusive: UK water giants recruit top staff from regulator Ofwat

A light hand when it comes to regulation ensures a nice private sector salary.
While people move around in the same sector, so it is understandable, Ofwat has continually been criticised as being too soft. There needs to be a period of a few years working in Ofwat to working for a water company. While the individuals may not have directly negotiated their next job while waving through dubious practice, if it is personally beneficial for those at the top to go easy on the water companies, that has to cloud judgement.

It is a bit like MPs immediately going to work for companies they have just helped with legislation.

Good article by the ft. Probably the only paper worth it's salt these days.

I saw also linked in that article was Liv Garfield's (CEO Severn Trent) proposals to reform utilities as "social purpose" companies to make them more palatable to a Labour government whilst keeping them in private hands.

I'll be interested to see if any of her proposals get off the ground and if so how they are implemented given in theory at least it will reduce the dividends available for the shareholders.

As to the rest of the article absolutely spot on 👍

Back