Sunderland Owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus Is In Talks With A US Financial Group About A £20million Loan

There was never a 5 year plan mate, read that on here, especially when the wheels are starting to come off.
There was/is a 5 year plan and it was referenced when the club accounts were released in May 2023

Sunderland’s ‘5-year plan’​

In the club accounts for the year ending 2022, it read: “It remains the club’s ambition to return to the Premier League within 5 years since acquiring control.”

Kyril Louis-Dreyfus completed his takeover in February 2021, so we can probably take it to mean five full seasons, since there was little he could actually control about the back end of the 2020/21 season.

So, essentially, the club’s stated aim in to be promoted by the end of the 2025/26 season. That essentially gives them this season and two more to get the job done.

There was/is a 5 year plan and it was referenced when the club accounts were released in May 2023

In the club accounts for the year ending 2022, it read: “It remains the club’s ambition to return to the Premier League within 5 years since acquiring control.”

Kyril Louis-Dreyfus completed his takeover in February 2021, so we can probably take it to mean five full seasons, since there was little he could actually control about the back end of the 2020/21 season.

So, essentially, the club’s stated aim in to be promoted by the end of the 2025/26 season. That essentially gives them this season and two more to get the job done.
I agree, but its's not me you have to convince, its the clappers

Not one person has read between the lines of the “5 year plan”.

It was intended that it would be 5 years on from the signing of Mason Burstow.

I wonder if it's outside investment to take a stake in thr club

Fair point. However with Clarke likely to go for 20m still does not add up
I wonder if it is investment to take a stake otherwise why not go to the bank for a more traditional loan. Fuck me even Ellis Short did that and used the Irish banks to do so. Why use a US financial group - unless of course he can get better loan terms from them than a bank. Not bothered about him borrowing, thats what business does.

I wonder if it is investment to take a stake otherwise why not go to the bank for a more traditional loan. Fuck me even Ellis Short did that and used the Irish banks to do so. Why use a US financial group - unless of course he can get better loan terms from them than a bank. Not bothered about him borrowing, thats what business does.
Short's 2014 loan of £70m was from SBC, an American insurance and pensions company.

Short's 2014 loan of £70m was from SBC, an American insurance and pensions company.
Well thats that theory blown out of the water then. :lol: :lol: If I said Texas Lone Star borrowed from the Irish Banks would that make sense:cool:

Actually i'm talking about the years prior to what you are. Maybe he changed tack.

Last edited:

Think it’s a rolling 5 year plan

Well thats that theory blown out of the water then. :lol: :lol: If I said Texas Lone Star borrowed from the Irish Banks would that make sense:cool:
Sunderland had borrowed from Irish banks (AIB) under both Murray and Drumaville. That stopped when it went bust in the 2008 crash, and its loan book was bought by Lone Star. It then had to be paid off because Short still had links with Lone Star at the time.

Sunderland had borrowed from Irish banks (AIB) under both Murray and Drumaville. That stopped when it went bust in the 2008 crash, and its loan book was bought by Lone Star. It then had to be paid off because Short still had links with Lone Star at the time.
That explains it then. Just one last thing as you understand these things, why borrow from a financial group as opposed to a bank?

That explains it then. Just one last thing as you understand these things, why borrow from a financial group as opposed to a bank?
Probably better terms. Also, football clubs, unsurprisingly, have piss poor credit ratings, and the high street banks are wary of them for anything that's not a current account.

Think it’s a rolling 5 year plan

Just because it says there is a 5 year plan doesn’t mean there is one.
A plan is not just a statement of intent, a plan is how you are going to get there. I’ve never seen anything that resembles a plan, even in summary.
Strikes me they are making it up as they go along, spewing bullshit on the way.

Share it with us Kyril, show us how you are going to fund it and the quality of player you’re going to sign.
Because if it amounts to employing yes men on the cheap, coaching naive kids, it’s not going to work is it …. It’s a bad plan.

Back