Stoneman for England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know, I am not sure his defence is strong enough.

He might be a better shout for a number 3

I don't know, I am not sure his defence is strong enough.

He might be a better shout for a number 3

I honestly think he is one of the best natural stroke players around. I agree about defence but is Lyth's any better? Just an interesting thought.

Very few players scored as many runs as him in div 1 over the last 3 years, yet he never gets mentioned.

No chance. Sorry.

Okay with his overall displays at DCCC with the bat but at International level? Good god no.

Nah you are way off here like.

You championed Lyth? Based on what? 1 good season?

fair enough if you disagree, but way over the top, not many better openers in division 1

if Michael f***ing Carberry can get on an Ashes tour, anything is possible in my eyes!

I think Lyth is a bit lucky to have retained his place, although I felt he certainly deserved to chance in the first place. Lyth shougld have opened on the Windies tour and that would have helped a lot. He's had one good knock in four tests. He's had some excellent deliveries that have dismissed him, but also two poor dismissals wafting at balls he should have left. He tends not to move his back foot across and thus isn't quite in line to play the ball coming across him and moving away slightly. I think he might have struggled to make the third test if there'd been an obvious alternative, but nobody has really staked much of a claim. I'd say the four possible replacements could be from Compton, Hales, Stoneman and Mitchell. I think Hales is vulnerable early on and his defence is not the greatest. Compton never really looked a test player, and neither Stoneman nor Mitchell has really scored enough runs, so I think England have a bit of a problem if Lyth flops again in the third test.

I honestly think he is one of the best natural stroke players around. I agree about defence but is Lyth's any better? Just an interesting thought.

Very few players scored as many runs as him in div 1 over the last 3 years, yet he never gets mentioned.

Nah you are way off here like.

You championed Lyth? Based on what? 1 good season?

fair enough if you disagree, but way over the top, not many better openers in division 1

if Michael f***ing Carberry can get on an Ashes tour, anything is possible in my eyes!
Give owa man Lyth scored more runs last year than Stoneman has last & this!!! (Until last week)

Last edited:
We could do far worse IMO. No matter what people say I still think you need to consider he bats on a shit tip at the Riverside every other week. Yeah it isn't as bad as it was, but the new ball still does all kinds down there so as an opener he is always up against it. These test wickets are generally featherbeds and I am convinced he would do well given a chance.

speaks alot of sense does @johnson

will stoneman ever play for england? i suspect not. would he do a good job? no way of knowing. does he deserve to be spoke about as a possible england player? yes, definitely.

I think Lyth is a bit lucky to have retained his place, although I felt he certainly deserved to chance in the first place. Lyth shougld have opened on the Windies tour and that would have helped a lot. He's had one good knock in four tests. He's had some excellent deliveries that have dismissed him, but also two poor dismissals wafting at balls he should have left. He tends not to move his back foot across and thus isn't quite in line to play the ball coming across him and moving away slightly. I think he might have struggled to make the third test if there'd been an obvious alternative, but nobody has really staked much of a claim. I'd say the four possible replacements could be from Compton, Hales, Stoneman and Mitchell. I think Hales is vulnerable early on and his defence is not the greatest. Compton never really looked a test player, and neither Stoneman nor Mitchell has really scored enough runs, so I think England have a bit of a problem if Lyth flops again in the third test.

so it is true, you can be a normal poster. long may it continue.

trott going on that tour as an opener ahead of lyth was as farcical as anything from england in recent memory. he deserves more time in the opening slot but i'm sure we'd be seeing much better cricket from him had he had the experience of playing out there. fancy parachuting an opener in for an ashes series, especially following getting drubbed out there... and to play trott?

i need to stop thinking about it, it just makes me angry.

**the above quotes ebor**

Last edited:
so it is true, you can be a normal poster. long may it continue.

trott going on that tour as an opener ahead of lyth was as farcical as anything from england in recent memory. he deserves more time in the opening slot but i'm sure we'd be seeing much better cricket from him had he had the experience of playing out there. fancy parachuting an opener in for an ashes series, especially following getting drubbed out there... and to play trott?

i need to stop thinking about it, it just makes me angry.

**the above quotes ebor**[/QUOTE]

Yes, mate, I do have the ability to be normal! We all do, its simply a mater of whether or not we use it.

An interesting point above about Stoneman batting on what is described as a "sh*t tip"! Is it really that bad and, if so, where does that leave the argument about Rushworth and his big haul of wickets? If Stoneman's average would be higher if ClS were a better batting strip, then surely Rushworth's bowling average would be higher and his wickets fewer?
And how did Bresnan manage to get a career high score on such a "tip" and Jonny B smack a double ton?

A quick look at Stoneman's career stats shows an F/C batting average of 31.33 and 14 tons in all F/C matches and an average of 30.26 with 7 tons at ClS. His average is lower at Hove, Lord's, Arundel, Old Trafford and Basingstoke and higher at Taunton, Nottingham, Birmingham, Soton and Worcester - and the Racecourse - of grounds where he's batted twice or more. So it looks fairly marginal. Unfortunately, he always seems to get runs against Yorkshire. I think one thing is certain and that's that he's an improving player, so maybe his time will come for England.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-were-right-not-press-9728701

Marcus North seems to think so

Not a bad shout, he isn't rated by some on here, but I can see the similarities in the Trescothick pick.

He looks quality when he gets going like.

I am guessing most people will disagree with North, but it annoys me when people use his career average against him, its irrelevant really, only the last 3 or 4 years he has really looked a player.
Don't think it's a bad shout at all. I also think Rushworth deserves a look as well.
The comparison with tresco an interesting one. Be nice to see someone taking attack to Aussies.

An interesting point above about Stoneman batting on what is described as a "sh*t tip"! Is it really that bad and, if so, where does that leave the argument about Rushworth and his big haul of wickets? If Stoneman's average would be higher if ClS were a better batting strip, then surely Rushworth's bowling average would be higher and his wickets fewer?
And how did Bresnan manage to get a career high score on such a "tip" and Jonny B smack a double ton?

A quick look at Stoneman's career stats shows an F/C batting average of 31.33 and 14 tons in all F/C matches and an average of 30.26 with 7 tons at ClS. His average is lower at Hove, Lord's, Arundel, Old Trafford and Basingstoke and higher at Taunton, Nottingham, Birmingham, Soton and Worcester - and the Racecourse - of grounds where he's batted twice or more. So it looks fairly marginal. Unfortunately, he always seems to get runs against Yorkshire. I think one thing is certain and that's that he's an improving player, so maybe his time will come for England.

i don't think it is such a big issue re the pitch, there are a few that are very batsman friendly such as taunton [tell that to collingwood's 5 fer mind you], cls has always been known as a bowler's wicket but that may be changing this year with a new groundsman. i guess there are different factors, perhaps he is just more comfortable playing at home and that skews things? i don't really care tbf, a track is a track and form is temporary, i think he has something about him and as your 'quick look' [which looks rather in depth for a quick look if you ask me] suggests he can play on any pitches.

perhaps the old 'always be a ball with your name on it' of cls is what makes him play more attacking cricket. his average is heavily weighed down as he was in the team regularly when he was not in all honesty good enough but we stuck by him and it is paying off, i imagine his average over the last 3 or so years is probably 35-40 or so.

Would Lees not be ahead of him?

you would imagine so aye

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-were-right-not-press-9728701

Marcus North seems to think so

Not a bad shout, he isn't rated by some on here, but I can see the similarities in the Trescothick pick.

He looks quality when he gets going like.

I am guessing most people will disagree with North, but it annoys me when people use his career average against him, its irrelevant really, only the last 3 or 4 years he has really looked a player.

North writing in a North East Paper and suggesting he play for England,nothing but asking for cheap popularity from his readers,if Stoneman played for Hampshire would North be suggesting he play for England I think not,Stoneman is not a international opening bat IMO.

Last edited:
Would Lees not be ahead of him?

not for me

Lees will play for England one day but not for a few years

Meh. Compton and Hales are in better nick than Stoneman and right handers.

They aren't in better nick like mate, Stoneman in great form, not saying he should be called him, but hes in better nick than them 2

Canny fickle this board. A couple of weeks ago people were saying if he got dropped it would be justified (!)

Anyone who said that is mental, he's our best bat with Borthwick by streets

Says more about England than him.

Absolutely no chance.

No chance. Sorry.

Okay with his overall displays at DCCC with the bat but at International level? Good god no.
The only chance he might have would be perhaps as part of the one day squad. He strikes me as a better one day player than CC player ie longer format. His average suggests that ie nearly 40!

Last edited by a moderator:
He's on course for a third 1,000-run FC season in succession. Whether you rate him or you don't, that is an achievement that a lot of quality players will never match.

There are some players who don't have such a great average at FC level yet excel at international level - Vaughan is well documented as being one of these.

I'm not suggesting Stoneman is one of those, just that nobody will ever know unless he gets a go.

Based on his form over the last few seasons the least he deserves is a winter with the Lions IMO.

Are they touring this winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back