Steve Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
You argue for the sake of it

You argued Bell played well against Scotland. He patted back the slowest spinner in history. In a world cup where 350 is par

Smith has a great record. A sublime record. Technically he is crap and I do think a decent bowling attack, in the longer form especially, should be working him out
Theres lots of players with shit techniwues that are good players though

Chanderpaul being the best example

Trescothick's feet were permanently glued to the crease and he actually did play against some of the very best.

Doesn't matter how you score the runs as long as you do.

exactly, runs are all that matter, everything else is irrelevant.

It'll be extremely interesting to see what happens with him this summer - he's either the real deal (i.e. his talent is enough to compensate for his ropey technique), or he's just an average player that has enjoyed a great run of form this year on very good batting pitches. If it's the former, I think an Ashes series in England will expose that.

Steve Smith has just tweeted what a great batting coach Diva is- that's the bloke who could/should have been Durham' s batting coach.

It'll be extremely interesting to see what happens with him this summer - he's either the real deal (i.e. his talent is enough to compensate for his ropey technique), or he's just an average player that has enjoyed a great run of form this year on very good batting pitches. If it's the former, I think an Ashes series in England will expose that.

Whether he has a bad series against England or not doesn't mean he is just an average player like, many players struggle in England

Look at Kholi, do you think he has been exposed as an average player, because going on your theory he has.

Whether he has a bad series against England or not doesn't mean he is just an average player like, many players struggle in England

Look at Kholi, do you think he has been exposed as an average player, because going on your theory he has.

Kohli is technically sound and at some point will score big runs in England. Smith's technique is ropey to say the least.

Kohli is technically sound and at some point will score big runs in England. Smith's technique is ropey to say the least.

Based on what? Who says what a good or bad technique is?

Kholi has failed twice in England, Steve Smith averaged 38 last time in England, with a high score of 138*, solid and better than Kholi.

He nearly beat Bradman's record for the most runs in a series this winter, he also hit a 100 in the World Cup semi final, and hit the winning runs in the final

techniques shite though.

Based on what? Who says what a good or bad technique is?

Kholi has failed twice in England, Steve Smith averaged 38 last time in England, with a high score of 138*, solid and better than Kholi.

He nearly beat Bradman's record for the most runs in a series this winter, he also hit a 100 in the World Cup semi final, and hit the winning runs in the final

techniques shite though.

Every coach in world cricket, I would imagine.

Of course, every now and again there is a freak player who is so talented and has such a good eye, that they can score runs consistently with a poor technique. Maybe Smith is one of those but maybe he isn't. He's undoubtedly had a great Australian summer; but if you're going to have a good eye and poor technique, Australian pitches are the ones to bat on - put your foot down and hit through the line.

Smith may well rock up in England and score a hatful, and he may then go on to do the same in South Africa and the subcontinent, but he might also rock up and struggle when the ball actually moves off the straight every now and again. If you had to place your mortgage on who would score the most runs over time between Smith and Kohli, you'd surely pick Kohli every time.

Every coach in world cricket, I would imagine.

Of course, every now and again there is a freak player who is so talented and has such a good eye, that they can score runs consistently with a poor technique. Maybe Smith is one of those but maybe he isn't. He's undoubtedly had a great Australian summer; but if you're going to have a good eye and poor technique, Australian pitches are the ones to bat on - put your foot down and hit through the line.

Smith may well rock up in England and score a hatful, and he may then go on to do the same in South Africa and the subcontinent, but he might also rock up and struggle when the ball actually moves off the straight every now and again. If you had to place your mortgage on who would score the most runs over time between Smith and Kohli, you'd surely pick Kohli every time.

Not in England you wouldn't mate, his record proves it, as does Smith's, Kholi can't handle the swinging ball in England, he has shown that. Smith could play it OK in 2013, I would put money on him getting more runs than Kholi did.

Also the bit in bold at the top, I don't agree at all, every coach in England would, but not every coach in Australia and Sri Lanka will, they tend to let players be more expressive

You think David Warner would of been picked as an opener over here? no chance

Another thing, most people struggle when the ball is swinging

Why is this the "ultimate" test. Only in England does it swing like this, most pitches around the world are flat.

Trescothick's feet were permanently glued to the crease and he actually did play against some of the very best.

Doesn't matter how you score the runs as long as you do.
As were sehwags and chris gayles

Another thing, most people struggle when the ball is swinging

Why is this the "ultimate" test. Only in England does it swing like this, most pitches around the world are flat.
It seems to be an english thing, same happens in the football where if you cant do it in the prem youre no good

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back