skunks bigger club

Status
Not open for further replies.
How relevant is winning league trophies 100 years ago to being a big club in the 21st century?
Every fan hangs their hat on what they've got. That's what we've got so that's what we'll dwell on. Some fans of other clubs won't give a toss about them.

The lies damn lies and statistics. You can define big club by any measurement to suit your purposes. The argument is thus irrelevant.

Courtney is the fella who went on Talksport and announced that he had an inside source who told him that Newcastle were very close to signing Shane Long.....a week after West Brom had signed him

Added my opinion to many of these threads on here but my view at the moment is that big clubs will change over time. A lot of posts have already covered it but clubs like Chelsea might previously have got piss poor crowds at home in the 80's. Huddersfield won a few league titles almost 100 years ago... None of that matters any more because as time goes on, no one really remembers any of that.

The truth is, Chelsea have become a huge club post Abramovic as you would expect. They get 41,000 sell outs every week and being a London club could easily get 55-60,000. Their trophy haul since the Abramovic years has elevated them above clubs that they used to be a fair bit behind like Spurs, Villa and Everton. They've won a European Cup and a UEFA Cup/Europa League in the past couple of seasons. Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton and Sunderland haven't done anything of note.

Their "fanbase" worldwide also drawfs any of us. Not that it impresses me. And this highlights my point that so called big clubs will change over time. Would anyone on here have been interested in watching Man City 6/7 years ago? They were a yo-yo club who hadn't won a trophy for 35 years. Clubs like West Ham, Spurs and Newcastle, could also become a Chelsea or City overnight if they got the right financial backing. West Ham particularly now they have the Olympic Stadium and London location.

At present there are about 13 truly big clubs in England but only 6 are important to the media and the global footballing bandwagon. Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal as the giants of English Football with Chelsea and Man City as the clubs that have bought the success, and with it, their big club title. Spurs are the only other one who you can add to the list due to being based in London and because they've been in Europe consistently over the past 10 years, even having the odd season in the Champions League.

The rest of us are irrelevant in the eyes of the media and to those 6 clubs.

Added my opinion to many of these threads on here but my view at the moment is that big clubs will change over time. A lot of posts have already covered it but clubs like Chelsea might previously have got piss poor crowds at home in the 80's. Huddersfield won a few league titles almost 100 years ago... None of that matters any more because as time goes on, no one really remembers any of that.

The truth is, Chelsea have become a huge club post Abramovic as you would expect. They get 41,000 sell outs every week and being a London club could easily get 55-60,000. Their trophy haul since the Abramovic years has elevated them above clubs that they used to be a fair bit behind like Spurs, Villa and Everton. They've won a European Cup and a UEFA Cup/Europa League in the past couple of seasons. Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton and Sunderland haven't done anything of note.

Their "fanbase" worldwide also drawfs any of us. Not that it impresses me. And this highlights my point that so called big clubs will change over time. Would anyone on here have been interested in watching Man City 6/7 years ago? They were a yo-yo club who hadn't won a trophy for 35 years. Clubs like West Ham, Spurs and Newcastle, could also become a Chelsea or City overnight if they got the right financial backing. West Ham particularly now they have the Olympic Stadium and London location.

At present there are about 13 truly big clubs in England but only 6 are important to the media and the global footballing bandwagon. Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal as the giants of English Football with Chelsea and Man City as the clubs that have bought the success, and with it, their big club title. Spurs are the only other one who you can add to the list due to being based in London and because they've been in Europe consistently over the past 10 years, even having the odd season in the Champions League.

The rest of us are irrelevant in the eyes of the media and to those 6 clubs.
Doubtless you will appreciate the irritation that comes from a media obsession with an ADHD neighbour, albeit yours haven't resorted to punching equines yet.

Doubtless you will appreciate the irritation that comes from a media obsession with an ADHD neighbour, albeit yours haven't resorted to punching equines yet.

Of course.

And no, our neighbours contributed partly to the slow decline of our club when we were at our peak, due to their actions in 1985 but I won't go any further with that.

At least the delusion stops towards the Geordies outside of the North East. Imagine if they had control of the Media and were able to influence referees like certain clubs do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back