Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a 'rule of thumb' which says you should take a day off for each mile of a race. I'm sure that's OTT.

I wouldn't take any time off after a 5k (I only run every other day generally anyway), I took a day off on Monday after my 10k, and I'd probably take 3-4 days off after a half, and definitely would take a couple of weeks off after a marathon.

I did the Sunderland 10k last year, so I thought I would try and push myself this year and do the half marathon. However now its nearly upon us I've got loads of niggles and feel that I might be out of my depth as I imagine that standard will be quite high. Im currently doing 6 mile runs @8mins/mile. I did the Gnr last year but I feel the Sunderland half marathon will be a different kettle of fish altogether.

. I did the Gnr last year but I feel the Sunderland half marathon will be a different kettle of fish altogether.
why say that mate ? the sunderland half route is pretty flat (the 10k route looks the harder of the 2) , if you did the gnr and know what a half marathon entails then should be fine, although ideally you should have been doing more than 6mile runs in training, don't drop out, just do it at a slightly slower pace and see how it pans out, you may surprise yourself

why say that mate ? the Sunderland half route is pretty flat (the 10k route looks the harder of the 2) , if you did the gnr and know what a half marathon entails then should be fine, although ideally you should have been doing more than 6mile runs in training, don't drop out, just do it at a slightly slower pace and see how it pans out, you may surprise yourself
Cheers mate. I will do a ten miler about a week before. My main worry Is all these niggling injuries I keep picking up, like sore shins and hips.

after doing a race do you tend to have a couple of rest or easy days afterwards , or just straight back into your normal training ?

Nice easy recovery run about 5k at 40minute pace on the morning after & normally try & get a sports massage if it was a 10 miler or more.

nice easy 2 week taper started Saturday for me - plenty stretching, massage and rest. bored already and i've ran last 3 days :)

I did the Sunderland 10k last year, so I thought I would try and push myself this year and do the half marathon. However now its nearly upon us I've got loads of niggles and feel that I might be out of my depth as I imagine that standard will be quite high. Im currently doing 6 mile runs @8mins/mile. I did the Gnr last year but I feel the Sunderland half marathon will be a different kettle of fish altogether.
First mile is uphill and there's another one about seven miles in but other than that it's fairly flat. Don't go off too fast and you'll be fine. Not too crowded either.

15k this morning, 1 hour 11 minutes.

Average pace 4mins40something. Quickest km 4.28, slowest 4.53 which seems a steady balance, however my first half was quicker than my second half.

Easy slow run today, 10 mile paced at bang on 1hr 20 not a second to fast our slow from what my aim was, another effortish session tomorrow then maybe a slow park run on Saturday if I'm off work

6 mile yesterday 1 mile warm up 16x200m @5.25 and 16x200 v.slow, then a mile warm down
Think I might start some interval training soon. What would you recommend as a first interval run? For perspective, I am up to doing 6 miles @8 (paced) and do my shorter runs (Parkrun) at around 6.50. Should I start dividing one of my midweek runs into an interval one? What's the maximum interval distance recommended? Sorry for all the questions... :)

Today tried something a little different - not quite interval - (maybe progressed??) where I warmed up mile 1 @9 then attempted miles at 8, 7, 6 then 1.5 back at around 9. Felt a little more productive than just doing a standard pace all the way anyway...

Done a absolute brutal 10.9 mile this evening with three mates from the running club. It wasn't so much the distance that killed is. Two of the people who were running would rin with the faster group so there dragged the other two of us along. Even though I have ran further that was arguably the toughest run I have done. Great training in prep for sunderland half marathon and Durham coast one

Just realised I haven't posted my time. It was 1hr 33 for those of you who are interested

Think I might start some interval training soon. What would you recommend as a first interval run? For perspective, I am up to doing 6 miles @8 (paced) and do my shorter runs (Parkrun) at around 6.50. Should I start dividing one of my midweek runs into an interval one? What's the maximum interval distance recommended? Sorry for all the questions... :)

Today tried something a little different - not quite interval - (maybe progressed??) where I warmed up mile 1 @9 then attempted miles at 8, 7, 6 then 1.5 back at around 9. Felt a little more productive than just doing a standard pace all the way anyway...
The key to intervals is you must run quicker than your target race pace. The benefits are that you improve running bio mechanical efficiency and you raise your thresholds. Generally I would run a total of between 4km and 7km in effort. If your target race is short (say 5km), run your intervals faster than 5km

Reactions: D.A
I've just noticed that none of the stages on this year's Great British Relay between Seaham & Jarrow have been taken up but every stage south of this & most of the stages further north for Yorkshire & the North East phase have been. Is there some sort of local dispute or boycott?

The key to intervals is you must run quicker than your target race pace. The benefits are that you improve running bio mechanical efficiency and you raise your thresholds. Generally I would run a total of between 4km and 7km in effort. If your target race is short (say 5km), run your intervals faster than 5km
Cheers. Think for now I will stick to using Parkrun as my high intensity run, then work on distance and endurance through the week with paced runs. Might sign up for the sunderland 10k as I am doing fairly comfortable 6 milers at the moment so it will be good to gauge what my 'race' time could be...

Didn't know nowt about this ?? Looks canny though. No permission maybe ?

Not sure what permission would be needed for. It's not masses of people taking part simultaneously. Most stages are being done by a single runner or at most a small group. Only the start & finish point/time for each stage are rigid, the runner for each stage is free to choose whatever route they please as long as they can get to the next handover by the appointed time.

Right lads and lasses. From November till around two weeks ago, I had literally ran no more than 40km. Two weeks ago I signed up for the Sunderland HM. I've put on nigh on a stone over the winter due to being ill, change of career, just generally being too busy to train (laying floors and refitting the kitchen on me own!)

Anyway over the last two weeks I've managed to regain some of my stamina and am actually looking forward to the race. Did the pieces of eight Penshaw route non stop on Sunday and didn't feel too bad. I'm under no illusions that this is going to be the hardest and slowest HM I've done and I'll be happy to finish in less than 2.5 hours.

Anyway, I've not posted on this thread for a while so hopefully I'm back and feeling motivated again!

I am doing my intervals as part of a training program and to be honest this is what I would recommend, find something u want to train for and find a good program to train to that has a lot of variation to the training program. I jog at same pace as you 6 miles at 8 and have recently started a marathon program and the best thing I find is there's loads of different runs on my training, when I was just doing my own intervals I 1st started with 4x400m efforts to see how I felt and just worked from there.

Physio and planning a gentle 5k this weekend. Leg is getting better though still not right.

Looking forward to some speed work over the summer having missed out on marathon pb. Hope the body holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back