Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

At Carlisle now lads, race going ahead as normal. Weather not too horrific
I saw the back of your head for about 400m then you were gone !! Didn't like all the bits that were flooded, properly did my head in .. It's a descent route mind and would def do it again, hopefully on a much calmer and drier day though! Was about 2min above what I had hoped to get but that's my first race above 10k distance , sure enough once I got past 10k I started to slow down and turned into a right miserable bastard for the last 20mins :lol:

If it's flooded, the route get changed to 9 miles
It was in parts mate but they kept the same route , One of the lads said it was being discussed while we were gettin our numbers whether to change it then , but I find that hard to believe as the alt route is along major roads so surely cannot change it last minute

Last edited:
Reactions: D.A
Back home and fed at last after an awful bus trip back from Carlisle. 2 hours in the pub across the road didnt help much.
Weather was alot better than i was expecting, although those flooded bits were a pain.
Its much better in the dry with a tail wind...

Was good to finally meeet MagicRat.
56 minutes, outstanding !
I was only 3 minutes down on my pb for that route so i'm hapy ennnough.

Back home and fed at last after an awful bus trip back from Carlisle. 2 hours in the pub across the road didnt help much.
Weather was alot better than i was expecting, although those flooded bits were a pain.
Its much better in the dry with a tail wind...

Was good to finally meeet MagicRat.
56 minutes, outstanding !
I was only 3 minutes down on my pb for that route so i'm hapy ennnough.
Thanks mate. Good to meet you too. As you say, weather wasn't as bad as predicted. Seemed windiest between 6.5 and 8.5 mile to me. Was quite exposed there

I saw the back of your head for about 400m then you were gone !! Didn't like all the bits that were flooded, properly did my head in .. It's a descent route mind and would def do it again, hopefully on a much calmer and drier day though! Was about 2min above what I had hoped to get but that's my first race above 10k distance , sure enough once I got past 10k I started to slow down and turned into a right miserable bastard for the last 20mins :lol:

It was in parts mate but they kept the same route , One of the lads said it was being discussed while we were gettin our numbers whether to change it then , but I find that hard to believe as the alt route is along major roads so surely cannot change it last minute
That far ?! :)
Cross country debut for you next ?

24 mind numbing miles on a dreadmill today.
I feel your pain mate ...

Anybody suffered with bad calf cramp before ? I got it yesterday mid race for first time ever and can't think what brought it on, kept on going final 3mile or so but wasn't nice at all and was in bit pain driving home from Carlisle ... It's like a bag of marbles under my calf skin , was gonna try an easy 30min jog tonight but not up to it , hoping it eases off by tomorrow , had the roller out and self massage with baby oil also and made sure drank plenty water all day , just wondering what may have caused it in first place - same leg that had Achilles problems before

10 miles this evening. One of those even paced runs on your own that you feel exactly the same on the first and last mile, but rotten in the middle.

With no races coming up but good form I think I'll have a go at a 10 mile hard run on my own this week to see how fast I can go. In the meantime, having a beer or two now.

Anybody suffered with bad calf cramp before ? I got it yesterday mid race for first time ever and can't think what brought it on, kept on going final 3mile or so but wasn't nice at all and was in bit pain driving home from Carlisle ... It's like a bag of marbles under my calf skin , was gonna try an easy 30min jog tonight but not up to it , hoping it eases off by tomorrow , had the roller out and self massage with baby oil also and made sure drank plenty water all day , just wondering what may have caused it in first place - same leg that had Achilles problems before
never had it during a race, try calf guards?

never had it during a race, try calf guards?
I've never had it before Dan so I'm hoping it was a one off , still can't run so booked a sports massage for Thursday , hopefully it's just really knotted up and that releases it all and can then start back up slowly again , will ask his advice on calf guards but it may have just been a one off

I've never had it before Dan so I'm hoping it was a one off , still can't run so booked a sports massage for Thursday , hopefully it's just really knotted up and that releases it all and can then start back up slowly again , will ask his advice on calf guards but it may have just been a one off
They can't do any harm recently. I get tired calves after pushing too hard like, but not cramp.

Just got the email from the Strollers announcing the 2016 Pier to Pier.
Where has the year gone !

Done it the last half dozen years and i still dont know whether its quicker to go across the grass or along the coastal path ??

Just got the email from the Strollers announcing the 2016 Pier to Pier.
Where has the year gone !

Done it the last half dozen years and i still dont know whether its quicker to go across the grass or along the coastal path ??
Straight line across the grass for me

I sometimes get it if I only take water instead of electrolyte/isotonic with me but I don't get it every time. My guess is if my electrolytes are off or low & I try to get by without topping them up I get calf cramp, but if they're fine before the run I'll get away without topping them up.

Decided to take the plunge and pay for Great North Run membership so I don't have to rely on a charity place again.

Now I just need to get out there and run.. :eek: I've hardly done any running this year, though hopefully I'm still in reasonable shape as I've been doing a lot of cardio on the (gym) bikes. Been trying to push myself to give my heart and lungs a good workout so if I can sort my head out I should hopefully be able to come back as a better runner than I've ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back