Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parkrun this morning. 18:14 pushing the buggy. Was trying to break 18 minutes but just not quite possible.

Going to try a hard 10 miles tomorrow and see what sort of pace is in my legs.

Lovely run out this morning on the beach banks. Wonderful sight looking down onto the coast and on bright sunny day and good to see plenty of people out and about enjoying the scenery.

Week of 12 hr shifts ahead of me this week so the plan is to drag myself to running club straight after work tomorrow for a session then have 3-4 days off

speedy recovery mate , not worth eyeballs out if you've just had surgery !! shame mind as looks a good forecast for sunday

Decided to go with a strategy of starting fairly slowly & step up the pace by 3 or 4 seconds per mile to see if I could get a decent time. Realised I was going as fast as I could during mile 6 so backed off again. Only finished about 3 minutes faster than my GNR time but all things considered I'm content with that. Kielder 10k next week where I'll just be looking to get round & then no more events until Benidorm half marathon at the end of November so plenty of time to get back up to speed.

Canny down Redcar, good route and weather finished 10s outside sub 90, the last 3 mile was a struggle gotta do better next time. Any other fast half maras coming up??

Parkrun this morning. 18:14 pushing the buggy. Was trying to break 18 minutes but just not quite possible.

Going to try a hard 10 miles tomorrow and see what sort of pace is in my legs.
Some pace with a buggy that . . I wasn't running when my kids were in a buggy. Reading your updates makes me want another baby so I can go shopping for a racing buggy :)

Canny down Redcar, good route and weather finished 10s outside sub 90, the last 3 mile was a struggle gotta do better next time. Any other fast half maras coming up??
You might've missed all the local ones I think. Brass monkey half in York is fast (middle of January), will go on sale soon and usually sells out quickly.

Well done today, I really like the Redcar route

Good luck mate.
Was telling my mate who ran the coast to coast in one ago about you doing it and he passed on his best wishes as well.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't make it to the finish of my race. At around 83 miles i felt like I was going to collapse and was turning hypothermic and without the help of my running pal, some farmers, volunteers and my wife I don't know what might have happened. It's always disappointing to not finish a race but it just wasn't an option to go on safely. Big thanks to those that have sponsored us, raising money for 4Louis, a charity providing memory boxes for bereaved parents of still born and premature infant deaths.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't make it to the finish of my race. At around 83 miles i felt like I was going to collapse and was turning hypothermic and without the help of my running pal, some farmers, volunteers and my wife I don't know what might have happened. It's always disappointing to not finish a race but it just wasn't an option to go on safely. Big thanks to those that have sponsored us, raising money for 4Louis, a charity providing memory boxes for bereaved parents of still born and premature infant deaths.

Jees mate, don't be disheartened, running 83 miles is a fkn massive achievement man. Great effort which I don't think I could do or many others. The charity will be over the moon with your help.

Fantastic effort mate. Takes a brave man to know when to stop.
Unfortunately with runs like this, everything has to be perfect and sometimes your body doesn't want to play along. Luck plays a large part. Still a huge achievement and it's 70 miles further than I've ever run.
When my mate first tried the c2c he gave up on 104 miles after suffering nose bleeds and not being able to take on water. Daft twat thought he'd let us down. Don't ever think that.

Echo the thoughts above mate. . 83miles is an obscene distance and knowing when to stop is a rare gift. Top stuff, you should be very proud :cool:

Aye I know I'm pleased with what I've done but it's just the natural competitor that always wants to finish what you set out to achieve. I've done the Thames Path 100 mile ultra before and completed that and understand that you have the highs and lows but you come out of them. This morning I had 9 hours to cover 17 miles which I know could be achieved walking but even with that amount of time I knew I couldn't cover that distance even walking I felt so bad. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life haha

83 miles is an insane amount. Take off what I ran for the GNR then add another 60 miles! That must be like running to Shields, turning round and following down the coast as far as Hull. Very impressive effort.

I started my injury come back today. Did a gentle 20 lengths in the swimming pool, felt ok but when playing with the kids later I got a hell of a cramp in my calf where I had hurt it. I might go ahead and play 5-a-side tomorrow, but stick at the back or in goal. Hopefully will ease up and get out for a run in a week or two.

Some pace with a buggy that . . I wasn't running when my kids were in a buggy. Reading your updates makes me want another baby so I can go shopping for a racing buggy :)

You might've missed all the local ones I think. Brass monkey half in York is fast (middle of January), will go on sale soon and usually sells out quickly.

Well done today, I really like the Redcar route

Love it, though him getting heavier with every passing week makes me want to have another one to swap them round and lighten the load. I think that's the only way I'll be able to break 18 mins ... good a reason as any to have a kid, right :)

Half marathon distance today in just under 1:25, with two of the miles at 8:20 pace slow recovery (7 and 11) and the rest at 6:05 to 6:10 pace. Previous day parkrun was still in the legs as I was feeling it within the first 3 miles, but still happy with the session overall. Wind down starts now with 2 weeks to marathon day.

Yeah enjoyed it I think ha, weather helps so was perfect for a run. The leg going to the south turn seems to go on forever, that where I seen DA.
Are you the one I said Jimmy is just in front of you?

I stopped racing about 8 miles, just trundled on till a couple of strollers came along and helped paced one to a new pb in the last couple of miles. The heat was too much for me, needed a drink. Just wasn't my day. Plenty more races, I'll move on.

On a positive note, at the 40 minute mark, I covered 6.1 miles so I think I'm capable of a sub 40 10km.

New pb yesterday in the Robin Hood Half in Nottingham, really chuffed.

New route as well with some canny hills in the first 3 miles, was way behind where I should have been after 4 miles so picked up the pace and at the halfway stage was on course for sub 1:40.

Despite me personally not completing the race we did run a combined total of 183 miles this weekend and would still like some money for the charity! After all it is payday for a lot of you after all! If you could spare even a few pounds from your very hard worked for wages for 4louis, a charity that provide memory boxes for parents of stillbirth, neo-natal, infant and child loss to hospitals across the U.K so parents can capture as many memories as they can. Then it would make all our efforts even more worthwhile. Cheeky so and so but shy Bairns get nowt . Thank you very much!

You can donate by following the link to the site

https://www.justgiving.com/SOW2015

Or by texting STOW81 followed by the amount £1, £2, £3, £4, £5, £10 to the number 70070

Does anyone have any experience of running with a epigastric hernia (just below rib cage)? Walk-in Centre says don't run until I see the GP but that could be a while with my doc's. It is painful to move at the minute but the nurse said the pain will go away once the body gets used to it, supposed to be doing York Marathon next week so don't really want to miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back