Rolling monthly discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as no-one has entered :cry:, it doesn't really matter.

Winners had their own choice of theme - I think Rain was quite specific, but Water is really broad and offers lots of scope for different techniques/styles etc.

Let's hope someone enters the final month's competition!! :)

Ok I'll enter this month, I actually have an idea too.... :lol:

Think Peachy is dropping out, the head honcho has a replacement lined up. Hope you all like Brenizer.
Dropping out is wrong ! :) I would have continued but nobody entered so I said it wasn't worth running any longer.

I would think a new face at the helm may get it going again? Maybe I should have had "staff member" plastered over my avatar! ;)

Dropping out is wrong ! :) I would have continued but nobody entered so I said it wasn't worth running any longer.

I would think a new face at the helm may get it going again? Maybe I should have had "staff member" plastered over my avatar! ;)

Okay - here goes - I've never been one to duck issues so probably best to get these sorted...

1. I wonder if this (in red above) may have been offered to Peachy? There were clear signs of having to work between moderators to try and make the competition work - and I for one feel she did a terrific job. It may have made the process more straightforward for her. To be fair - she is the 29th most prolific poster in the entire board and would have been a wholly appropriate person to take on that mantle - though I also recognise it is absolutely Roger's prerogative to do as he sees fit. I'm just confused about that! :?:

2. There's a minor "elephant" in the corner of the room that I can't ignore and would appreciate some clarification over. I'm interested to know how we are going to manage the position for the declared teachers of this section of the board. I know I'm not the only one - and don't know how many more there may be who haven't revealed this element of their life. Our new organiser has made no secret of his disdain for teachers ("thick" and "dopey f***ers") and this particular poster ("thicker than I had thought") and I wonder how that will sit with the objectivity that may be needed in managing this section of the board?

I wholly respect and understand that I am no loss to this section of the board - however I have enjoyed reading and learning about the subject here - and contributing occasionally - but I don't see myself being able to be part of a photo competition or indeed photography corner where this particular "elephant" remains. Perhaps there will be a sub section of the competition for educationally and photographically special needs? ;)

3. Perhaps we can identify whether our modus operandi is to clarify that this is "just the internet" and "just a messageboard" - (in which case the rules allow us to dish out dubious statements and insults as we see fit / wish to enjoy) or whether the tone of this section will be conducted with a particular ethos and culture?

4. Its 7th June and no theme for competition is yet clear. Is June going to be bypassed and July announced. Are we going to have clarity over the rules of the future competition - and are they going to take account of the discussion that took place earlier in the year? If the excellent work of Peachy isn't to be lost (perhaps the "raison d'etre" of recent changes) - would it not be a good idea to ensure this is sorted quickly?

Any clarification about the "equal opportunities" of this section of the board under its new leadership would be very much appreciated. :)

Okay - here goes - I've never been one to duck issues so probably best to get these sorted...

1. I wonder if this (in red above) may have been offered to Peachy? There were clear signs of having to work between moderators to try and make the competition work - and I for one feel she did a terrific job. It may have made the process more straightforward for her. To be fair - she is the 29th most prolific poster in the entire board and would have been a wholly appropriate person to take on that mantle - though I also recognise it is absolutely Roger's prerogative to do as he sees fit. I'm just confused about that! :?:
:)

Re 1. above - It was quite easy to run the competition without being a mod - you just had to set up a thread eg March competition, April voting etc. Roger was always able to help me if I needed any additional advice. Thank you for your kind comments too.

I had just noticed that oROSSo had staff member over his logo, hence my comment, it certainly wasn't a dig. As previously posted I didn't give up/lose interest in running the competition, it never took more than half an hour a month - I just thought I'd not run the comp for a while due to the lack of interest from others (and the boards are always quieter in jun jul aug).

2. There's a minor "elephant" in the corner of the room that I can't ignore and would appreciate some clarification over. I'm interested to know how we are going to manage the position for the declared teachers of this section of the board. I know I'm not the only one - and don't know how many more there may be who haven't revealed this element of their life. Our new organiser has made no secret of his disdain for teachers ("thick" and "dopey f***ers") and this particular poster ("thicker than I had thought") and I wonder how that will sit with the objectivity that may be needed in managing this section of the board?

I wholly respect and understand that I am no loss to this section of the board - however I have enjoyed reading and learning about the subject here - and contributing occasionally - but I don't see myself being able to be part of a photo competition or indeed photography corner where this particular "elephant" remains. Perhaps there will be a sub section of the competition for educationally and photographically special needs? ;)

3. Perhaps we can identify whether our modus operandi is to clarify that this is "just the internet" and "just a messageboard" - (in which case the rules allow us to dish out dubious statements and insults as we see fit / wish to enjoy) or whether the tone of this section will be conducted with a particular ethos and culture?

4. Its 7th June and no theme for competition is yet clear. Is June going to be bypassed and July announced. Are we going to have clarity over the rules of the future competition - and are they going to take account of the discussion that took place earlier in the year? If the excellent work of Peachy isn't to be lost (perhaps the "raison d'etre" of recent changes) - would it not be a good idea to ensure this is sorted quickly?

Any clarification about the "equal opportunities" of this section of the board under its new leadership would be very much appreciated. :)

What's this got to do with anything? :lol::lol:

What's this got to do with anything? :lol::lol:

Clearly hasn't got anything to do with you. We have some new direction on the photo section. Fairly obviously trying to clear up some historical issues with Ross - which may not be possible. I'm unclear and have asked for some clarity.

Is there a problem with that?

Clearly hasn't got anything to do with you. We have some new direction on the photo section. Fairly obviously trying to clear up some historical issues with Ross - which may not be possible. I'm unclear and have asked for some clarity.

Is there a problem with that?

As a contributor to the monthly competition, clearly it has :rolleyes:

You're asking about objectivity for a monthly competition that's judged by members of the board. Ross's part in it will be setting up the threads and possibly deciding a theme. I'm not sure why you think you'll be disadvantaged because you're a teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back