RIP Larry Lloyd

Don't forget Frank Clark as well.
On the scrap heap at Newcastle after 400 appearances in '75.
A league champion in '78 and European Cup in '79.
Let's be honest, Cloughie was the best.
This conversation has got me looking into that Forest team again. A name I would never have remembered, a sort of unsung hero, yet played 40 odd times in 77/78, career altering injury the following season, similar to Clough himself, came back but wasn't the same, career ended in 1981 aged 29, Colin Barrett.

After football - He worked at The Crown pub in Southwell and then made snooker tables. He then settled into working as a self-employed painter and decorator. WTF ! Imagine a Premiership title , League Cup x 2 and European Cup winner doing that now? :rolleyes:

This brought to mind a game in the mid 70's. Clough was still developing his Forest side who rocked up at Roker to take us on, we were under Stokoe at the time. We murdered them, beat them 3-0. After the game he said he knew they were in for a hiding before we'd even kicked off when he saw Bob grinning like a Cheshire cat before kick off. :)

Haha surprised Kenny made pin up status!
I think I had seen my sisters Bay City Rollers posters on their walls and decided to put football posters on mine. I'm fairly sure Kenny Burns was the first one I came across and cut it out. I still remember how jagged the edge was where I cut it ffs. I'm 53 and can't remember if I put deodrant on after I've cleaned my teeth yet I can recall that type of shit. :lol:

This conversation has got me looking into that Forest team again. A name I would never have remembered, a sort of unsung hero, yet played 40 odd times in 77/78, career altering injury the following season, similar to Clough himself, came back but wasn't the same, career ended in 1981 aged 29, Colin Barrett.

After football - He worked at The Crown pub in Southwell and then made snooker tables. He then settled into working as a self-employed painter and decorator. WTF ! Imagine a Premiership title , League Cup x 2 and European Cup winner doing that now? :rolleyes:
Bless them all.
It was a brutal game then and remains so.

It's worth mentioning that Lloyd also won the League as an ever present with Liverpool when Shankly was manager, and the UEFA Cup. To be an important part of successful clubs managed by two of the greatest managers tells you a lot about his ability.One of his regular partners at Liverpool was Tommy Smith, another brutal pairing.
Tommy Smith was a legendary "hard man" on the field. From all accounts however, he was something of a bully and general all-round shithouse in every other respect. The account from Howard Gayle about his time at Liverpool Football Club, and in particular his dealings with Smith, paint somewhat of a different image to that portrayed in the media. Takes all sorts I guess.

Was signed by Clough on Taylor's say from Coventry in Oct.'76 (the season Jimmy Hill cheated us into relegation). Forest were attempting to get promoted from the second tier.
His career was washed up and going nowhere. After an initial loan spell, he was was signed for one quarter of what Coventry had paid Liverpool two years earlier.
So an experienced pro who's career had lost it's way and was cheap. RIP.

Look and learn Speakman.
In fairness that’s exactly the approach they have had in older signings. A couple more this season would have been helpful though.

RIP.
A very good "old school" centre half at the highest level.
Saw him play a few times. Surprised to see he got only 4 England caps. At the time Forest were in their pomp the national team were struggling to qualify for the Nations Cup and the World Cup.

Had only mentioned him the other day so it came as a horrid shock to find out
Just another player of many the miracle man Mr Brian Clough turned into a very good player!!
Another one he used & played to their strengths.

RIP.
That Forest team around 78 though, absolutely incredible.
So effective at getting the result they wanted.

Last edited:
I trmember cutting a picture of Kenny Burns out of 'Look-In' comic and sticking it on my wall. :)
If Kenny looked at you & opened his mouth it would be frightening. His teeth (or lack of) was scary.
Going to watch a talk in tonight down Hartlepool with John McGovern, I imagine he will have some canny stories about Larry and Mr Clough!
Recently got his autobiography, I'm expecting a good read when I get to it.

Last edited:
After he retired playing, he ran a pub in Nottingham called The Stage Door.
My lot would go in drinking, usually early on a Sunday night, where he would come and have some banter with us.
I remember him saying to me once,
" I can't f***ing run, so no fuckers gonna run past me"!

Sound gentlemen, one of the good guys in life...

Back