R.I.P Phil Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how some people think that cricket is a game for namby pamby public school soft shites.

I don't think there's any amount of money you could pay me to face one serious over from any test class pace bowler, never mind your Lillees, Thommos, Lees, Akhtars, Johnsons, Roberts, Steyns, etc.
As a young'n I was knocking a ball about with a few lads at Wearmouth C.W and Winston Benjamin was playing for the oppo and wanted a bit of a warm up and called us over, let us go in the middle and tried a few looseners, never seen them never mind hit them! (I also had nee helmet on, health n safety? :eek:)

Mike Gatting has just been commenting,I remember him getting his nose smashed by a Malcolm Marshall bouncer in the West Indies it was horrendous.
Apparently when the fielders picked the ball up there fragments of bone embedded into the ball.
He got patched up and went back out to face them in another day or two.
These are tough lads, it's still hard to believe one of them has died though.

As a young'n I was knocking a ball about with a few lads at Wearmouth C.W and Winston Benjamin was playing for the oppo and wanted a bit of a warm up and called us over, let us go in the middle and tried a few looseners, never seen them never mind hit them! (I also had nee helmet on, health n safety? :eek:)
:lol: Respect.

Owt like this?

It's hard to believe this has happened,but especially in days gone by when there wasn't helmets you wonder how it didn't happen more often.
A good lad cut down in his prime absolutely terrible. R.I.P.

I can't help but think the helmets provide a sense of false security for batsmen, the same as the body/arm padding that didn't used to exist either.

When they didn't exist the technique in dealing with the short ball had to be spot on, now less so.

It's hard to believe this has happened,but especially in days gone by when there wasn't helmets you wonder how it didn't happen more often.
A good lad cut down in his prime absolutely terrible. R.I.P.
RIP Phil , terrible accident , the bowler must be in bits too.
The thing is with helmets imho they have changed shot making , players now just stay in line and make the shot 100%, we are now looking at players who never ever played without one even as a junior .
Even the best hookers of the old days still had 5% focus on "what if this doesn't come off " which allowed them to at least soften the blow , they would take lumps but seldom if ever allowed the ball to hit with the same force , even if it meant falling back on stumps etc , they knew the ball could be deadly . plus they were less inclined to try to hook a good one . I am still in favour of helmets massively though

I can't help but think the helmets provide a sense of false security for batsmen.

When they didn't exist the technique in dealing with the short ball had to be spot on, now less so.
It must still sting a bit even with a helmet on. Your brain is still going to get bounced around. I once had a headache that lasted a week just from not making perfect contact with an old style casey from a corner. And that wasn't a cricket ball going at 150kph. It was wet though.

No, not haway man. Bouncers are there for a reason, and its not to try and bowl someone out.

It's part of the game - is a batsman purposely hammering the ball back down the wicket at the bowler to be outlawed too?

Edit: and yes, it is to bowl someone out. It's a psychological tool specifically used to intimidate a batman - and get him out subsequently.

It's a freak accident. Please don't be so disrespectful as to suggest the bowler actually mean to cause harm/death.

I can't help but think the helmets provide a sense of false security for batsmen, the same as the body/arm padding that didn't used to exist either.

Good point

It's part of the game - is a batsman purposely hammering the ball back down the wicket at the bowler to be outlawed too?

Edit: and yes, it is to bowl someone out. It's a psychological tool specifically used to intimidate a batman - and get him out subsequently.

It's a freak accident. Please don't be so disrespectful as to suggest the bowler actually mean to cause harm/death.

Good point
I think he means the bowler's job is to make the batsman think he is under that threat. Which he actually is. That's why they get out of the way more often than they hook.

:lol:

I was hoping that Lee would stick one up his left nostril - I do not like PM!
It was immensely satisfying watching him get peppered like. Especially after he'd spent all week bigging up his batting ability (used to play for his village or summat).

I bet he's the only batsman in history to curse when the umpire no-balled a clean bowled. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

What the fuck has respect got to do with anything? A bouncer is to aim a very hard, fast moving ball in the general area of the batsman's head. It is dangerous and always has been - thats the point, to intimidate the batsman. That is something that does not have to be part of the game - does bodyline mean anything to you?

The fact there has not been that many serious injuries is because of the reactions of the batsman and the helmets they wear, brought in for this precise danger!

RIP Phil, maybe they might need to review that particular move now (the bouncer)..........so sad for his friends, family and I believe the guy that bowled the shot is struggling badly too :cry:

What the fuck has respect got to do with anything? A bouncer is to aim a very hard, fast moving ball in the general area of the batsman's head. It is dangerous and always has been - thats the point, to intimidate the batsman. That is something that does not have to be part of the game - does bodyline mean anything to you?

The fact there has not been that many serious injuries is because of the reactions of the batsman and the helmets they wear, brought in for this precise danger!

Yes, but we both know that's the extreme. The way you're talking is like every bowler who bowls a bouncer is intending to harm the batsman - they aren't.

Anyway, this is petty and disrespectful. Best left for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back