Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Fantastic weekend for powerlifting. Magnusson broke deadlift world record and the GPC British are all weekend. Not going to mention what exactly, but a great British record may be broken tomorrow

Owner of the gym I train at squatted 380kg raw in competitions the other day at 53 years old

Can't f***ing count.

Started off a set thinking "This is really, really heavy." Got to three reps and racked it to have a look.

Hadn't counted the weight of the bar :lol:

:lol:

What did you have on?

Just seen Dave's record from the weekend again. Still had something in the tank. He'll hit 900lb raw.

If I'd known it was 150 I bet I wouldn't have got it!

No belt either so it's a PR of sorts :lol:

I know people who let others pick their attempts in training and competitions for that reason like.

Do you do much beltless work?

1st heavy day after my deload week, was a bit disappointed and quite sore now!
Only managed 4,3,3 with Squats (117.5kg) and 5,4,3 Bench (70kg) which was 1 rep less than I did on each last week! Really I had hoped for 5,5,5s. Back to eating....

1st heavy day after my deload week, was a bit disappointed and quite sore now!
Only managed 4,3,3 with Squats (117.5kg) and 5,4,3 Bench (70kg) which was 1 rep less than I did on each last week! Really I had hoped for 5,5,5s. Back to eating....

Are you doing some sort of 3x5 programme now? Sure you'd been sticking religously to 5x5. Or are you running it with two ramp up sets and three working sets?

Back into Stronglifts properly over the last few weeks having had a shoulder injury and taking it easy. Had a look at the Stronglifts website the other day to see if blogs etc had been updated and noticed I've been doing too many deadlifts. Rather than doing 1x5, I'd been doing 5x5 :D

Safe to say I reverted to 1x5 and stuck a load more weight on the bar!

This week is higher volume week. Work is a minimum of 5 reps. I'll be having 2 heavier weeks, another volume week and then deload for the British.

Not going to throw any numbers out but I have a good idea of what I want to hit.

Back into Stronglifts properly over the last few weeks having had a shoulder injury and taking it easy. Had a look at the Stronglifts website the other day to see if blogs etc had been updated and noticed I've been doing too many deadlifts. Rather than doing 1x5, I'd been doing 5x5 :D

Safe to say I reverted to 1x5 and stuck a load more weight on the bar!

I think ramping up to a top set on deadlifts is perfectly normal so you could well end up doing 5 sets.

It's not the sort of exercise I'd want to be going straight to my top set on. 9x60kg then straight to something like 5x160 doesn't strike me as sensible.

Are you doing some sort of 3x5 programme now? Sure you'd been sticking religously to 5x5. Or are you running it with two ramp up sets and three working sets?
Yeah i do ramp up sets, more like you would with starting strength versus stronglifts, so today e.g. did 70kg and 100kg on squats before 117.5kg. just found 5x5 too taxing after a while

3x5 is pretty low volume tbh, may be the issue. Good for novices but not so much more intermediate-advanced.

Back