Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
3 minute rest time helped me get through today. Going to try 1rm squat this weekend to see where I'm at.

My back is constantly tight. I think its off squatting, could that be poor form, would a belt help? Tried the belt before but it felt too uncomfortable.
I've had all sorts of lower back issues, largely form related. I do low bar squats and found if I went too far past parallel my lower back arched which caused problems. Also I wasn't sticking my arse out far enough which again caused unnecessary rounding

What are you squatting?

May be more of a low bar squatter, which is more posterior chain dominant. It could be from something else though

140kg 5x5. I have the bar in the 'grove' below my traps if that makes sense. Its not a pain in my back, feels more like an ache.[DOUBLEPOST=1397142017][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've had all sorts of lower back issues, largely form related. I do low bar squats and found if I went too far past parallel my lower back arched which caused problems. Also I wasn't sticking my arse out far enough which again caused unnecessary rounding

Did you get any serious bother with your back? Im not bothered about the ache really, just don't want to ruin my back long term. I was hoping I would just get used to it (eg doms)

Last edited:
140kg 5x5. I have the bar in the 'grove' below my traps if that makes sense. Its not a pain in my back, feels more like an ache.[DOUBLEPOST=1397142017][/DOUBLEPOST]

Did you get any serious bother with your back? Im not bothered about the ache really, just don't want to ruin my back long term. I was hoping I would just get used to it (eg doms)

That's very, very impressive. What were you squatting before you started 5x5? IIRC you're on something like week 6/7 of the programme.

Not serious as such but was doing physio for a few months back end of last year because of it though. It slowly got worse and worse to the point where I couldn't train. Thought I was more or less over it but I've really fucked it again today!

Not a powerlifter but still a man with very impressive leg strength and development: Chris Hoy. Been answering some questions online today.

I'll post some of the more interesting ones regarding his training up.

My question was what was his best ever 1RM squat and what sort of intensities/volume did he train at?

He said his PB was 237.5kg. He exclusively trained in the 4-8 rep range on squats and only went for maximum lifts once or twice a season.

Q: What sort of calorie intake did you have when you were competing?

A: I was eating up to 6,000 calories a day when I was competing. Sometimes I had up to 15 races in one day spread over 14 hours. ^CH

Q: What non-cycling exercises did you do when you were training?

A: Strength work in the gym - focusing on squats, dead lifts and core work. ^CH

Will post more as he answers them. A very impressive squat though. And good to see he sort of dispelled the myth that he did a lot of leg presses in his strength training! Someone did ask a specific question about leg pressing so we'll see what he says...

Edit: Should also qualify that squat with his body weight: 93kg. So that's just over 2.5x BW[DOUBLEPOST=1396954704][/DOUBLEPOST]Q: Do you even lift bro?

A: Do I?

Logon or register to see this image

:lol:

Love Hoy me like! He's a proper freak!!! His quads man and the power he can get out of them is as impressive as anything I've seen!

That's very, very impressive. What were you squatting before you started 5x5? IIRC you're on something like week 6/7 of the programme.

I had a bit of a go at stronglifts last year and got up to around 125kg sets but then I fractured the base of my fibula/tibula (the smaller one of the two!!) and had to take time off, then had xmas off and didnt start again!!

Im on week 6 now. I started at 100kg and been going up 5kg a time the last 3 or 4 sessions, not far off failure now though :([DOUBLEPOST=1397165625][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not serious as such but was doing physio for a few months back end of last year because of it though. It slowly got worse and worse to the point where I couldn't train. Thought I was more or less over it but I've really fucked it again today!

that's what I'm worried of, getting that bad i can't train.

I had a bit of a go at stronglifts last year and got up to around 125kg sets but then I fractured the base of my fibula/tibula (the smaller one of the two!!) and had to take time off, then had xmas off and didnt start again!!

Im on week 6 now. I started at 100kg and been going up 5kg a time the last 3 or 4 sessions, not far off failure now though :([DOUBLEPOST=1397165625][/DOUBLEPOST]

that's what I'm worried of, getting that bad i can't train.
if you're worried about it then ease off for a couple of weeks, de-load and take some videos of yourself to check form. I've had to do it numerous times. It does feel like its hampering progress but in the long term its the best solution

Playing football on a Thursday evening (for the first time in 2014) does not result in a good training session on Friday morning.

My 97.5kg squat had may as well have been 197.5kg (not really, I still managed 5x5 but it was the hardest squat session I've ever had!), had my 3rd fail in a row on 45kg OHP which means a de-load on Monday, and only managed 3 reps of 135kg deadlift.

On the bright side, despite doing no cardio in 2014 (apart from a quick 5 mins jog on the treadmill every now and again when the racks have been full), I managed the full hour at fives without wanting to die - looks like strength training does help build stamina in other sports after all!

Just had deadlift focus session.

Did 9 working sets (3 of those sets were doubles).

Then went on to do a bit of volume work for squats with the safety squat bar (5x5). Would ideally of liked 1 more exercise but was time restricted today.

Playing football on a Thursday evening (for the first time in 2014) does not result in a good training session on Friday morning.

My 97.5kg squat had may as well have been 197.5kg (not really, I still managed 5x5 but it was the hardest squat session I've ever had!), had my 3rd fail in a row on 45kg OHP which means a de-load on Monday, and only managed 3 reps of 135kg deadlift.

On the bright side, despite doing no cardio in 2014 (apart from a quick 5 mins jog on the treadmill every now and again when the racks have been full), I managed the full hour at fives without wanting to die - looks like strength training does help build stamina in other sports after all!

Just had a day like this, my 92.5KG 5x5 squats destroyed me. nearly managed all my 47.5 OHP (missed one rep) but that was all my body had to give. I just couldn't move the 115kg deadlift no matter what. Tried again after 10 mins rest but wouldn't budge, going to increase how much i eat i think. thing is i'm on night shift this week so think this has had a serious affect on my lifting, eating and energy levels. I get pleanty of sleep but its just not good undisturbed sleep.

OHP on 5x5 was a killer for me, very sore on my lower back.

I ended up doing seated OHP with dumbbells instead, might be an option, especially if you also been dead lifting.

Want a 100kg strict overhead press over the next few months. Did them again the other day and forgot how much I enjoy them
What are you strict pressing at the minute? Is this literally with no legs to bounce it up ?

Up it to 3-5 if time allows.

What are you strict pressing at the minute? Is this literally with no legs to bounce it up?

First session back the other day after maybe 1 OHP session in around 7-8 months, doubled 75kg in my last set after an "all out set".

Yeah that's with no leg drive at all. It should fly up with muscle memory.

Got some quick tips on form from one of the more knowledgeable PTs in the gym today. Good news, I wasn't sticking my arse out enough and that's why I'd been getting sore knees. The bad news, I had to de-load to 90kgs because my hips were struggling with 100kgs so I'll not reach my 100kgs 5x5 for another week.

Having recently brought deadlifts back into my routine I managed a new best today of 110kg x 5. Still a way off my squat best but its coming up nicely.

Feel like there's still plenty left in the tank but my grip was a bit dodgy on reps 4 and 5. Should I persevere or start to introduce chalk and/or mixed grip at this point? don't want to do that too early if it actually impinges my grip strengthening further.

Having recently brought deadlifts back into my routine I managed a new best today of 110kg x 5. Still a way off my squat best but its coming up nicely.

Feel like there's still plenty left in the tank but my grip was a bit dodgy on reps 4 and 5. Should I persevere or start to introduce chalk and/or mixed grip at this point? don't want to do that too early if it actually impinges my grip strengthening further.

Mixed grip will impinge on forearm strength I think so do as much as you can double overhand. Chalk won't affect it at all. My palms sweat profusely and it really helps me out. I use the liquid stuff from my protein. It works well and it's not very messy. It contains alcohol though which, whilst great for drying your hands out for lifting, will mean you should moisturise after you wash it off if you don't want cracked, dry palms!

For my main sets on deadlift I think working my back is far more important than grip strength, which I can target with assistance work. So if I'm really struggling I'll revert straight to mixed grip on my main sets. Don't cheat your back out of the training because your grip can't keep up.

I'll then do all my sumo deadlifts and power cleans double overhand. BORs help grip strength as well.

Edit - My training has been shit lately due to transport issues and illness. I'm feeling properly de-motivated. Just around the corner though... new car and new gym so I've got that to look forward to. No more cycling home uphill after leg-day!

Chalk should suffice.

Unless you're in a position where your grip needs to be good (strongmen, powerlifters etc). Don't worry. Use whatever is necessary and train grip separately if it's a limiting issue.

I imagine despie the thread title that most in here are training for the performance, aesthetic, injury preventative etc benefits of deadlifts as opposed to actually having a good raw competition deadlift

Really enjoyed my session today.

On squats I worked up to a heavy rep set, followed by a few singles. Then I backed off and did 3x5 pause squats with the safety squat bar, 3x10 single-legged leg press and some good mornings.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was maxed out on DLs for ages and always felt it was my grip holding me back, I do use a mixed grip ( have done since I started Stronglifts) but have found the liquid chalk to be a god send.
I broke through my plateau first time I used it! I'm now stuck again but it's not my grip, it's definitely back strength and bottle!

Mixed grip will impinge on forearm strength I think so do as much as you can double overhand. Chalk won't affect it at all. My palms sweat profusely and it really helps me out. I use the liquid stuff from my protein. It works well and it's not very messy. It contains alcohol though which, whilst great for drying your hands out for lifting, will mean you should moisturise after you wash it off if you don't want cracked, dry palms!

For my main sets on deadlift I think working my back is far more important than grip strength, which I can target with assistance work. So if I'm really struggling I'll revert straight to mixed grip on my main sets. Don't cheat your back out of the training because your grip can't keep up.

I'll then do all my sumo deadlifts and power cleans double overhand. BORs help grip strength as well.

Edit - My training has been shit lately due to transport issues and illness. I'm feeling properly de-motivated. Just around the corner though... new car and new gym so I've got that to look forward to. No more cycling home uphill after leg-day!

My grip / forearm strength is rubbish due to my girls hands / wrists, would you recommend deloading and working back up with double overhand ?

Last edited:

Back