Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Just seen BA start direct flights to San Jose from next year. Maybe Boss of Bosses is back on the cards...

It'll be really easy to get to from SFO anyway mate. I got the bus from SFO to Monterey this summer and you go past Mountain View (where BBBC is) on the highway. You can get a train there from San Francisco as well.

It'll be really easy to get to from SFO anyway mate. I got the bus from SFO to Monterey this summer and you go past Mountain View (where BBBC is) on the highway. You can get a train there from San Francisco as well.

That was my alternative idea tbh like, because I was looking at flights to San Jose and with the change they were all 16-17h. I just thought that surely there was a quicker way by flying direct to an alternate airport.

May make it a 2 week thing and fuck off back to Vegas the day after the comp :lol:

That was my alternative idea tbh like, because I was looking at flights to San Jose and with the change they were all 16-17h. I just thought that surely there was a quicker way by flying direct to an alternate airport.

May make it a 2 week thing and fuck off back to Vegas the day after the comp :lol:

Obviously if you can get to San Jose it's a lot closer, but I wouldn't bother getting an internal flight if SFO was your only option, depending on cost like. Don't think it was much more than 45 minutes before passing it on the bus from SFO. The bus definitely stops at San Jose airport as well.

Obviously if you can get to San Jose it's a lot closer, but I wouldn't bother getting an internal flight if SFO was your only option, depending on cost like. Don't think it was much more than 45 minutes before passing it on the bus from SFO. The bus definitely stops at San Jose airport as well.

Aye that's definitely the best alternative by the sounds of it. How long is the flight to SFO? LA killed me like and I swore I wouldn't be doing that sort of distance again any time soon, but looks like I was talking shite

Aye that's definitely the best alternative by the sounds of it. How long is the flight to SFO? LA killed me like and I swore I wouldn't be doing that sort of distance again any time soon, but looks like I was talking shite

Should be about 11hrs.

Also having just looked it up, the train from San Francisco is about $6 or an Uber direct from the airport for about $35-45.

Also, if you did have spare time I'd really recommend San Francisco!

Or just hire a car. Driving in America looks like the easiest thing ever. Straight roads, clear signage and automatic cars.

Last edited:
A few laps of the room with a 240kg yoke on today. Good to feel that kind of weight on my back for the first time. Moved very quick with it as well. Will up it a lot again next time.

Out of interest @Titus what are the lads at genesis doing in terms of yoke carry?

A few laps of the room with a 240kg yoke on today. Good to feel that kind of weight on my back for the first time. Moved very quick with it as well. Will up it a lot again next time.

Out of interest @Titus what are the lads at genesis doing in terms of yoke carry?

Not sure mate. Will find out. There's one who competes as a novice who is only around that sort of weight and weighs over 130kg, so I'd say that's decent

Not sure mate. Will find out. There's one who competes as a novice who is only around that sort of weight and weighs over 130kg, so I'd say that's decent

I'd like to think I'm somewhat more mobile than a 130kg bloke like, and I think that helps a lot :lol:

Reading up, it seems like 3x bodyweight for 15-20 metres is 'advanced' so I'm about 40kg off that (would be 280kg). Realistically I think I'm not far off that mark because 240kg wasn't especially taxing.

I'm going to do it every week like, practice holding a load bigger than what I can squat on my back, hip strength training and just all round stability. Just once a week though.

45 minutes sleep yesterday after travelling back to London then doing work through the night, but squats felt surprisingly decent today. I think the emphasis on high bar stuff is carrying over well

Current priority is spending the next 4 months getting to 180kg x 10 on Squats. That's one session per week where I work up to a top set of 10 and increasing it by 2.5kg a week.

The other two squatting sessions will be using much lower reps on high bar, low bar and deadlift stance box squats.

180kg x 10 is a 'theoretical' 1rm of 240kg.

Also, deadlift programme is now simple as fuck. 1 day per week.

Week 1: 5 x 5 @ 70% of 1RM
Week 2: 5 x 3 @ 75%
Week 3: 5 x 1 @ 80%
Week 4: Off, lower back assistance in 10-12 rep range.
Week 5: 5 x 5 @ 75%
Week 6: 5 x 3 @ 80%
Week 7: 5 x 1 @ 85%
Week 8: As week 4
Week 9: 4 x 5 @ 80%
Week 10: 4 x 3 @ 85%
Week 11: 4 x 1 @ 90%
Week 12: As week 8.
Week 13: 3 x 5 @ 85%
Week 14: 3 x 3 @ 90%
Week 15 3 x 1 @ 95%
Week 16: Off.
Week 17: Retest 1RM.

Last edited:
Getting myself on a jollie this week, and will be away on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday which will be the most consecutive days I havent trained this year / since I started weight training.

I imagine specifically it is dependent on individuals but generally speaking after what time do you start loosing strength? Not concerned as I've worked all areas this week and will be back in the gym Monday so still hitting one work out per week for each area, but just wondering.

Getting myself on a jollie this week, and will be away on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday which will be the most consecutive days I havent trained this year / since I started weight training.

I imagine specifically it is dependent on individuals but generally speaking after what time do you start loosing strength? Not concerned as I've worked all areas this week and will be back in the gym Monday so still hitting one work out per week for each area, but just wondering.

Powerlifters typically have a week of little to no training before a meet having done their peaking cycle and the aim is to hit PRs in the meet.

You'll be fine with 4 days off man you daft sod :lol: Especially as most people tend to eat loads on holiday.

Powerlifters typically have a week of little to no training before a meet having done their peaking cycle and the aim is to hit PRs in the meet.

You'll be fine with 4 days off man you daft sod :lol: Especially as most people tend to eat loads on holiday.
Still relatively new to this & first time I've got away for 12 months so it's a first :) cheers

Back