Post a pic of your axe

I had to replace the saddle on the J45 I bought like - the fella who had it before me had it adjusted to his taste and it was wayyyy too low once ya started actually playing it instead of tickling it. It took a bit of time and a bit of trial and error, but it was a piece of piss really.
My bridge is lifting slightly as the lacquer is breaking up, but I'll leave that until it needs doing.

I took that jazzmaster to Dave from Daves Guitar services. It was an over wide fret slot, but there was a few other uneven frets and the neck could have done with some tapering to it kicking up with the shim. The daft bugger wasn't going to charge me either if it was just the overwide slot.

I took that jazzmaster to Dave from Daves Guitar services. It was an over wide fret slot, but there was a few other uneven frets and the neck could have done with some tapering to it kicking up with the shim. The daft bugger wasn't going to charge me either if it was just the overwide slot.

Is that in North Shields?

My bridge is lifting slightly as the lacquer is breaking up, but I'll leave that until it needs doing.

Can you slide a bit of paper under the bridge?

I’d say if it’s started lifting it already needs doing. You see a lot of cracked tops because of this on older guitars - the bridge pulling forward under tension and cracking the top behind the pin holes. Those are nasty cracks too.

Can you slide a bit of paper under the bridge?

I’d say if it’s started lifting it already needs doing. You see a lot of cracked tops because of this on older guitars - the bridge pulling forward under tension and cracking the top behind the pin holes. Those are nasty cracks too.
There's no gaps and the thin line of lacquer breaking up is at the front of the bridge, so I'm not too worried.

Cheers for this.

There's no gaps and the thin line of lacquer breaking up is at the front of the bridge, so I'm not too worried.

Cheers for this.

Gotcha, you’re sound then. I’m just throwing out unsolicited guitar advice haha!

Had to have one of my bridges pulled and reglued last month as it was lifting at the back. It’s almost 90 year old mind and a bit of a basket case.

Logon or register to see this image

It’s a strange old thing. Built by Regal, tuners date it to 1936. X braced and braz rosewood. Sounds somewhere between an old Martin and Gibson. Probably staying with me to the end.

I downsized last year and put the money back into that Martin, which is a 2007 but built to 30s spec - brilliant guitar!

Nearly 90! What you got mate?

It’s a strange old thing. Built by Regal, tuners date it to 1936. X braced and braz rosewood. Sounds somewhere between an old Martin and Gibson. Probably staying with me to the end.

I downsized last year and put the money back into that Martin, which is a 2007 but built to 30s spec - brilliant guitar!
Lovely set mate, I'm liking this.

Beautiful. It's aged like a piece of old movie film.

It’s actually the replacement guitar for the one he condemned last year. The story might be on here, not sure. Anyway same guitar but had a badly routed neck pocket so the neck wasn’t sitting straight.

I’ve seen @gabbiadini1 is a busy fella and not sure when he’ll be home. Last time I saw a pic he was on a private jet in thE USA 😂
Hi mate. Sorry. Been busy as you say lol! I’m away till the end of March but will be up then at some point. If you’re still not sorted, let me know and I’d be more than happy to take a look. Cheers
He is worth the wait like, my lester never goes out of tune because of his work on it 😆👍
Always nice to hear stuff like that! Glad you’re enjoying the guitar!

Last edited:
Finished the build of fender bits into something that resembles a telecaster

Build has

Fender maple neck
Fender alder body in candy apple red
fender Texas special pickups
Obsidian wire control plate
Electrosocket screw in jack surround with fender jack socket
Northwest guitars bridge plate
Northwest guitars knurled knobs
Fender pick guard
Fender tuning machines
Fender strap buttons
Fender tree string
Fender neck plate
Fender 250l 9-42 strings

Also the dog wanted her picture taken

Need to set the intonation as it’s a bit sharp on 12th fret

Also not 100% sure the neck is flush in the pocket, but if it’s out it’s minimal.

If I was doing this project again I wouldn’t bother with the obsidian wire plate. It’s expensive and doesn’t grip the wires. I don’t like soldering but I think I prefer soldering to wondering if the wires going to pop out it’s holder.

Finished the build of fender bits into something that resembles a telecaster

Build has

Fender maple neck
Fender alder body in candy apple red
fender Texas special pickups
Obsidian wire control plate
Electrosocket screw in jack surround with fender jack socket
Northwest guitars bridge plate
Northwest guitars knurled knobs
Fender pick guard
Fender tuning machines
Fender strap buttons
Fender tree string
Fender neck plate
Fender 250l 9-42 strings

Also the dog wanted her picture taken

Need to set the intonation as it’s a bit sharp on 12th fret

Also not 100% sure the neck is flush in the pocket, but if it’s out it’s minimal.

If I was doing this project again I wouldn’t bother with the obsidian wire plate. It’s expensive and doesn’t grip the wires. I don’t like soldering but I think I prefer soldering to wondering if the wires going to pop out it’s holder.
It certainly looks like a Tele. I have one exactly the same.

I have a Squier Strat in a case down me ma's. Thinking of upgrading it with a fully loaded scratchplate (no soldering 'cos I'm hopeless at that). Any suggestions?

I have a Squier Strat in a case down me ma's. Thinking of upgrading it with a fully loaded scratchplate (no soldering 'cos I'm hopeless at that). Any suggestions?

I stuck a loaded fender tex-mex strat plate straight into a mystery strat body I got off facebook marketplace for £40. Only thing to watch out for is some Squier bodies are thinner than Fender ones and have slightly shallower body routes. Full size Fender according to t'internet is 44.5mm. I had to do a bit of manipulation as I think mine was slightly thinner. Think I had to bend flat a capacitor from memory. You will definitely have to solder in your jack connections, and your ground for the strings which attaches to the trem claw.

If you're absolutely 100% not going to solder obsidian wire do about a billion combos for strats, but then slightly defeats the object of buying a loaded pickguard

Back