Officiating in the lower leagues

Yes it's me again on my favourite subject but I've taken in a few Northern league games in lately and it genuinely astounds me of what goes on. Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting all sunshine and happiness. It's a passionate game and I expect people to get pissed off, frustrated and all that but fuck me the abuse the officials take is absolute ridiculous. It must be quite soul destroying. Just constant twisting coming from the players and sidelines, everything decision contested, appealing for stuff thats clearly not theres and twisting still when its rightly not given. Witnessed a couple of young lasses running the lines which I thought was great to see but even then players and spectators just getting on to them all the time. Has it always been like this? Has it filtered down from professional football. Why anyone wants to do it is beyond me..As I said above it must be absolutely soul destroying having to listen to it all the time.

wouldn't say its filtered down. think its more to do with the players thinking they can get away with more at that level. seen loads of sides go on ridiculous over the years and the officials do nothing but on the other side there's been a few refs who have swore at players for only talking to them

Yes it's me again on my favourite subject but I've taken in a few Northern league games in lately and it genuinely astounds me of what goes on. Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting all sunshine and happiness. It's a passionate game and I expect people to get pissed off, frustrated and all that but fuck me the abuse the officials take is absolute ridiculous. It must be quite soul destroying. Just constant twisting coming from the players and sidelines, everything decision contested, appealing for stuff thats clearly not theres and twisting still when its rightly not given. Witnessed a couple of young lasses running the lines which I thought was great to see but even then players and spectators just getting on to them all the time. Has it always been like this? Has it filtered down from professional football. Why anyone wants to do it is beyond me..As I said above it must be absolutely soul destroying having to listen to it all the time.

The whinging about officials at efl level is truly pathetic. It's like listening to school kids. The ones that moan the most about referees are usual the thickest. 99% of the decisions that people call scandalous would be supported if the colours of the shirts were reversed. It's by far the most tedious aspect of the game.
There's going to be a massive shortage of officials in the near future like.

You couldn't pay me enough to listen to the abuse and hassle, and they're doing it for pretty much nowt!

Referees strike can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
I could be tempted to do it to unleash my vindictive disdain for many of those types of people

Hah...thing is, there are some intense people out there. Run onto the pitch with a weapon or hang about afterwards with a mini throng of like minded dullards...maybe follow you etc.

It's pathetic, the way some go on. Even just the verbals.

They don't have to listen to it, the rules are in place to tackle it, the Yellow and Red cards are the Referees way of maintaining discipline, but they choose not to use them. Apply the rules and it will stop, if it doesn't keep on applying the rules till the game has to be abandoned, simple as that.

My son's 15 and he's a grass roots ref,even that can be ridiculous up to the point I just can't watch him do it incase I punch a parent. Seriously

My son's 15 and he's a grass roots ref,even that can be ridiculous up to the point I just can't watch him do it incase I punch a parent. Seriously
Sons 17 now. Watch him occasionally. Miss watching him weekly but dont miss the weekly feud between 3-4 tossers n the ref. Got rediculous. No way I could do it.

i was running the line in the northern league a few years back and one manager had a right go at me for not flagging for a foul in my area despite the referee having already given it. He was screaming and shouting saying do your job get involved etc etc. he didn't like it when i replied why dont you do yours as your team are losing 5 nil i thought he was going to explode haha - this was over a foul that his team actually got as well

Seen some fat wife abuse a 15 year old female ref then refuse to leave the park.

Brave lass threatened to abort the game till she fecked off.

Realised refs dad was nearby watching. Dont think i could have controled myself.

i'm not sure if its getting worse or i'm just noticing it more

was at Seaham Red Star v Boro Rangers a few weeks back and the Boro manager and his little assistant spent the entire match berating the ref.. literally every two seconds 'your a disgrace referee' 'your f***ing blind' and accusations of cheating etc... then as soon as the opposition put a foot wrong 'get him off man ref its a blatant red card' blah blah blah

it was genuinely pathetic. we were stood just to the side of the dug outs. not once did the manager say anything to his player, rearrange them, encourage them, change the shape or help them in any way. not once.

Like you, i wonder why anyone would want to do it. Some perverse notion of authority is all i can think, then they end up at the SOL to play it out

i'm not sure if its getting worse or i'm just noticing it more

was at Seaham Red Star v Boro Rangers a few weeks back and the Boro manager and his little assistant spent the entire match berating the ref.. literally every two seconds 'your a disgrace referee' 'your f***ing blind' and accusations of cheating etc... then as soon as the opposition put a foot wrong 'get him off man ref its a blatant red card' blah blah blah

it was genuinely pathetic. we were stood just to the side of the dug outs. not once did the manager say anything to his player, rearrange them, encourage them, change the shape or help them in any way. not once.
It’s an act/attention seeking for a lot of them. It’s ohhh look at me I’m the passionate manager, lover of the game, a winner so demand perfection from the officials. It also deflects from their own inadequacies.

It also deflects from their own inadequacies.

this is exactly what it is.

when they don't get a result its entirely the refs fault. happens at every level of football nowadays. utterly pathetic.

at that red star game i was at the linesman flagged a seaham player off side when he was through on goal and it was clearly on side, we were right in line with it. all you heard from the boro manager was 'well done lino great call that, was close but deffo off side' .. i said loudly to my mates 'he was about 5 yards on side for fucks sake' then the boro manager turns around to me and starts trying to have a go about my glasses needing retesting and not understanding the offside rule etc...

all this while his team is drawing 0-0 against a team 15 places below them, as they were pushing for top 2 in the league. and he's spending time berating a casual spectator. i said 'you want to worry about your team not my glasses'

this is exactly what it is.

when they don't get a result its entirely the refs fault. happens at every level of football nowadays. utterly pathetic.

at that red star game i was at the linesman flagged a seaham player off side when he was through on goal and it was clearly on side, we were right in line with it. all you heard from the boro manager was 'well done lino great call that, was close but deffo off side' .. i said loudly to my mates 'he was about 5 yards on side for fucks sake' then the boro manager turns around to me and starts trying to have a go about my glasses needing retesting and not understanding the offside rule etc...

all this while his team is drawing 0-0 against a team 15 places below them, as they were pushing for top 2 in the league. and he's spending time berating a casual spectator. i said 'you want to worry about your team not my glasses'

Logon or register to see this image

Back