Non League Football

To an extent Gateshead are victims of their cup run here as two of the games in hand were down to the Trophy games taking precident.

The weather has then dealt a further blow of two more postponements both in the last three weeks of the season. Seems to me the schedule for the play offs is way too tight but it will be because the FA Get priority over their stadium and took the weekend of the 11th for the Vase and Trophy final and then Sunday 12th for the Womens FA Cup Final. After that its the FA Cup Final and EFL play offs which need to be all sorted before the England team meet up for the Euros. I suspect the National League were pretty much forced to accept Sunday 5th of May for thier final.

I wonder if the worst happens can they not just shunt the play off final back to early June or move it to an available PL or EFL ground equidistant between the two competing clubs?

Swapping the Vase/Trophy and National League finals would sort it and give an extra week for the National League play offs but they have already started selling tickets for the Vase/Trophy and I know Heed fans have already booked trains and hotels and I am sure the other three sides fans will have as well.

On Thursday 11th April at Heritage Park, home of Bishop Auckland Football Club, starting at 5pm the Durham Amateur Football Trust (DAFT) are holding a commemorative event marking 70 years since the famous 1954 Amateur Cup final between Bishop Auckland FC and Crook Town FC played at the original Wembley Stadium, London on the 10th April . The game went to 2 replays (Sunderland and Middlesbrough) and holds the record for a crowd attendance (Over 215,000 for the 3 games combined).
Previously unseen memorabilia, photos etc. will be on display. Stanhope Silver Band and Jack Drum Arts will recreating the Wembley atmosphere.
The event starts at 5pm and at 7pm a match between Bishop Auckland and Crook Junior teams kicks off.
Please support this event if you can. The world's 2nd oldest Football League is the Northern League which was made up predominantly of County Durham Football Clubs. Anyone wishing to support DAFT please follow this link www.thedaft.org.uk

Piss poor from Gateshead, utterly pathetic. They were asked numerous times about it on social media and made no reference to game in doubt. Appalling to first tweet at 6.04pm.
It was never going to be on given the unrelenting heavy rain. I think it was total desperation on Gateshead part being desperate to play due to the fixture backlog. A lot of time and effort wasted really when it should have just been called off early doors so the aldershot staff and fans didn’t have a wasted journey.

On Thursday 11th April at Heritage Park, home of Bishop Auckland Football Club, starting at 5pm the Durham Amateur Football Trust (DAFT) are holding a commemorative event marking 70 years since the famous 1954 Amateur Cup final between Bishop Auckland FC and Crook Town FC played at the original Wembley Stadium, London on the 10th April . The game went to 2 replays (Sunderland and Middlesbrough) and holds the record for a crowd attendance (Over 215,000 for the 3 games combined).
Previously unseen memorabilia, photos etc. will be on display. Stanhope Silver Band and Jack Drum Arts will recreating the Wembley atmosphere.
The event starts at 5pm and at 7pm a match between Bishop Auckland and Crook Junior teams kicks off.
Please support this event if you can. The world's 2nd oldest Football League is the Northern League which was made up predominantly of County Durham Football Clubs. Anyone wishing to support DAFT please follow this link www.thedaft.org.uk
My old chemistry teacher at Jarrow Grammar, Bert Steward played for Crook in that final in 54. He brought his medals in to show us, he had a couple of those amateur cup medals from the 50’s.
A lovely bloke was Bert, RIP fella

Watched the game and Gateshead were poor last night but to be fair so were Fylde and the pitch was poor. I suspect the league have moved the Chesterfield game to Monday from Tuesday to give some slack in case they get another postponement. They should still make the play offs as are still well placed and hopefully they can get 4th or 5th. 3rd is still on as they play Bromley last game and Bromley also have Solihull Moors to play yet.

Last edited:

Back