Newcastle City

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the crack with there set up there. Do they only field players of Asian origin? Tend to look at there results now and again and only see Asian type names

No idea but Fenham Falcons who play in HLSCL play their home games there and their team is almost entirely of asian heritage

Remember when they played down horden years ago and was intrigued as they were all Asians then.

Bloody hell!! That must have caused a stir in Horden. :lol::lol:

I can remember a team called Gosforth Park Hommes or summit like that. Played against them for Whitburn in a cup mid 90s. Entirely asian extraction - sure the club was only open to that community. Never heard of them since

Bloody hell!! That must have caused a stir in Horden. :lol::lol:

I can remember a team called Gosforth Park Hommes or summit like that. Played against them for Whitburn in a cup mid 90s. Entirely asian extraction - sure the club was only open to that community. Never heard of them since

We are very forward thinking people down this way man;)

Wonder if these teams ever advertise for a white English pro:lol:

South Shields played them when Victor Walcott was pro. Played on an open field with no sightscreens. Victor was really pinging them down. There were some white faces on their team by the end of their innings, not to mention Brown flannel. There were 2 Asians teams in Newcastle then-Gosforth Park and Newcastle City.

No idea but Fenham Falcons who play in HLSCL play their home games there and their team is almost entirely of asian heritage
Remember the first time I saw them play APCC. they were sharing bats, not wearing helmets and smoking. plenty of arguments going on between themselves as well. they seem to have calmed down a lot now and i note that they havent had a very good season since promotion last year. the bairn played against them for the Academy mid season and I dont think theyd won a game at that point.

BTW never seen a HLSL table all season. any idea who is winning the league ie 1st division? Marsden/shotley i would assume?

Remember playing them years ago for Horden at their ground early 90s I reckon,Horden had a fantastic team at the time,thought we just had to turn up to win,got beat their team spirit was fantastic keen as mustard,put everything into the game.

In answer to the question yeah all 11 were Asians type names.

Last edited:
Remember the first time I saw them play APCC. they were sharing bats, not wearing helmets and smoking. plenty of arguments going on between themselves as well. they seem to have calmed down a lot now and i note that they havent had a very good season since promotion last year. the bairn played against them for the Academy mid season and I dont think theyd won a game at that point.

BTW never seen a HLSL table all season. any idea who is winning the league ie 1st division? Marsden/shotley i would assume?

@NorthCountryBoy had a 2nd div table the other week. He may have a 1st div one too.

What's the crack with there set up there. Do they only field players of Asian origin? Tend to look at there results now and again and only see Asian type names

Back in the late 70s there was a team called PTE (as in bus company) and the Asian community gradually took over to such an extent that they had only one white player. They then changed there name to Newcastle City before infighting caused a split and Cowgate were formed - though they might have used another name to begin with. Backed by Asian businessmen (Chowdhury was one) they were in fierce competition with one another and would fly in Pakistani international fringe players and play them as amateurs - something which was difficult for the league to get to grips with.

Always an unpleasant experience to play against as you knew what was going on but couldn't prove it.

I've seen them knock up nearly 300 in the HLSL with really good batsmen and then blast out under 15s without ever thinking about making a game of it by bowling there none bowlers.

South Shields played them when Victor Walcott was pro. Played on an open field with no sightscreens. Victor was really pinging them down. There were some white faces on their team by the end of their innings, not to mention Brown flannel. There were 2 Asians teams in Newcastle then-Gosforth Park and Newcastle City.
Do you still play for shields? My work Clare does and wondered who you were,

I played against Newcastle City a few times at second team level and they were always all Asian lads. Not wanting to sound stereotypical but they always had a cracking curry choice amongst their teas. Mind you whenever we played them in a cup tie they tended to have a completely different side with dare I say a ringer or 9.

I always found them a decent enough set of lads to be honest. When you had a chat with them in the bar they came across as a progressive club, really keen to develop. Their ground was pretty open and bare, but they did develop some nets, and the wicket was always rock hard when I played there.

Had some cracking players over the years too. You always knew what you got from Mirza. Sohail was an excellent player, think he went on to pro at Philli? Uniyal was a top pro, played a lot of IPL and was very handy with bat and ball. Also don't forget they developed Kumar who had a couple of seasons with Durham. They did have some excellent local lads too who really improved over the years. Not seen them for a few years now mind so not sure what state the club is in these days.

Need more British Asians playing the game, will be some talent in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back