New era?

• Thread starter Deleted member 611
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 611

One of the main problems we have had since 2011 is that we have been stuck with an ageing, frequently failing spine of the team. Up until the end of last season it was quite depressing how much of our best side was signed by Bruce (or even Keane) - the likes of Bardsley (for a long time), Brown, O'Shea, Larsson, Cattermole, Wickham.

Various managers have come in and failed to improve things. O'Neill went for what he thought was quality rather than quantity but Fletcher and Johnson were inconsistent and he wasn't given time to turn things around with that approach. Di Canio let the clown De Fanti squander millions on absolute shite (Celustka, Dossena, Roberge, Diakite, Mavrias, Moberg Karlsson, Altidore, etc) in the arrogant belief that he could take a group of shite players and get results. Poyet was proven to be out of his depth and short on experience, as he believed that Championship players like Bridcutt and Buckley, and South Americans like Vergini and Scocco, could be turned into an effective squad.

As a result, we always fell back on those players who were left behind from the Bruce era.

With the transfer window shut, this summer feels like the first time we have made a convincing step forward. The defence still looks a little vulnerable IMO, but M'Vila, Toivonen, Lens, and Borini, look like the basis of a new team to me. It feels like Advocaat has brought in the right amount of fresh blood, of a good enough standard, that we can move forward, not just try and cling on with an ageing squad bought four managers ago. Brown will hardly play this season, O'Shea won't need to play every week at the age of 34, Larsson and Cattermole will have to fight for their place.

I'm still worried about our defence, but after years of mismanagement, one window was never going to put everything right.

Even if Advocaat does leave at the end of the season, it feels like he has been the first manager here in years who has actually built the foundations of a decent team.

I agree with you there mate, it's just the defence that worries me, but for one window he hasn't done to bad, just have to hope they gel well. I know a couple of the lads have played together elsewhere and hopefully that will allow them to gel quicker, hopefully the older ones will work with the young talent and start pushing them through the academy.

And pace going forward. Fuck on paper we got a a decent squad now. Lens, Defoe and borini is a very good attacking front 3. 2 full backs with pace and can attack. Even if the defense on them isn't up to snuff hopefully with some good coaching and teamwork this weak defending can get better. Midfield is still iffy but if toivonen can keep linking up play as an outlet man to the front 3 we could be onto something. I'm excited for the first time in a while. Even if we lose games we should at least be in a lot of entertaining games. It feels like the could be goals in this squad

I think this summer coming will be a lot clearer in who we need to buy rather than the absolute yearly tradition of scattergun signings

We have our attack sorted out finally out, didn't we score something like 40 goals during the cup final season and 37 before, could see us getting far more than that this season, sadly we need our defence sorted out but we're getting there, who knows spend £20 million on our defence next season and I could see us pushing on

We have our attack sorted out finally out, didn't we score something like 40 goals during the cup final season and 37 before, could see us getting far more than that this season, sadly we need our defence sorted out but we're getting there, who knows spend £20 million on our defence next season and I could see us pushing on

I think this summer coming will be a lot clearer in who we need to buy rather than the absolute yearly tradition of scattergun signings
The problem there is that each window, it is clear that Congerton is heavily influenced by the managers preferences. The incomers this time clearly have a record with Dick or in the case of Borini, with us.

What happens next summer? We'll likely spend most of the time trying to find a manager, and any incomers will likely be down to Congerton alone. I am still not convinced that as DoF he has the eye for a player.

I believe this window has given everybody a real boost and we can see the building bricks being laid of a brand new squad.
Hopefully Dick will stay for another season after this one.
That will give him Three more windows to sort the squad out. Also there should be less constraints against him. ie players being paid who have already left the club for example.
So January I'll expect 1 or 2 new faces to go straight in the team. Probably CB and LB
Then in the summer another 4 or 5 followed by the next January with another 1 or 2.
So by the time Dick leaves we should have a much better squad.

I believe this window has given everybody a real boost and we can see the building bricks being laid of a brand new squad.
Hopefully Dick will stay for another season after this one.
That will give him Three more windows to sort the squad out. Also there should be less constraints against him. ie players being paid who have already left the club for example.
So January I'll expect 1 or 2 new faces to go straight in the team. Probably CB and LB
Then in the summer another 4 or 5 followed by the next January with another 1 or 2.
So by the time Dick leaves we should have a much better squad.
Don't think Dick will sadly, he said it's his last season

Yer probably right. Hopefully he will just give us another 12 months of his time. It'll only cost a bunch of tulips for Mrs D.
I think the only chance we have if he stays is prehaps we win a cup or finish high up the league?

One of the main problems we have had since 2011 is that we have been stuck with an ageing, frequently failing spine of the team. Up until the end of last season it was quite depressing how much of our best side was signed by Bruce (or even Keane) - the likes of Bardsley (for a long time), Brown, O'Shea, Larsson, Cattermole, Wickham.

Various managers have come in and failed to improve things. O'Neill went for what he thought was quality rather than quantity but Fletcher and Johnson were inconsistent and he wasn't given time to turn things around with that approach. Di Canio let the clown De Fanti squander millions on absolute shite (Celustka, Dossena, Roberge, Diakite, Mavrias, Moberg Karlsson, Altidore, etc) in the arrogant belief that he could take a group of shite players and get results. Poyet was proven to be out of his depth and short on experience, as he believed that Championship players like Bridcutt and Buckley, and South Americans like Vergini and Scocco, could be turned into an effective squad.

As a result, we always fell back on those players who were left behind from the Bruce era.

With the transfer window shut, this summer feels like the first time we have made a convincing step forward. The defence still looks a little vulnerable IMO, but M'Vila, Toivonen, Lens, and Borini, look like the basis of a new team to me. It feels like Advocaat has brought in the right amount of fresh blood, of a good enough standard, that we can move forward, not just try and cling on with an ageing squad bought four managers ago. Brown will hardly play this season, O'Shea won't need to play every week at the age of 34, Larsson and Cattermole will have to fight for their place.

I'm still worried about our defence, but after years of mismanagement, one window was never going to put everything right.

Even if Advocaat does leave at the end of the season, it feels like he has been the first manager here in years who has actually built the foundations of a decent team.
what's with the even if advocaat does leave at the end of the season shite mate? he's fucken 68 year old and needs to be replaced

The spine of the team that you pick up on are the ones that have ran their heart out for the club and kept us up

The reason we have struggled is because of the 100 players we have signed in the last 7 years, most of them have been shite

Its not Larssons fault that he has been here 5 years and we have not signed anyone better than him, same with JOS

The bit in bold makes absolutely no sense, LC signed all the defenders apart from JOS, some are in their 2nd season and are clearly not good enough, what has one window got to do with out?

The problem there is that each window, it is clear that Congerton is heavily influenced by the managers preferences. The incomers this time clearly have a record with Dick or in the case of Borini, with us.

What happens next summer? We'll likely spend most of the time trying to find a manager, and any incomers will likely be down to Congerton alone. I am still not convinced that as DoF he has the eye for a player.

I agree, people bang on about him not having funds to spend, but its nonsense, other clubs work on similar budgets

the signings of Jones, PVA, and Matthews are very very questionable to start with

Gomez is a steady signing, but LC isn't exactly pulling out gems is he?

Borini was here before, and Dick has brought 3 of his men in.

I have nothing against a DOF model, I quite like it, but I don't see what LC has done himself?

If he were to list his achievements at SAFC, what would he say? I genuinely have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back