New Champions League format

Completely shit. Basically just designed to give the big clubs the maximum chance of reaching the latter stages by adding a play off so that they could finish well behind another side but still fluke through after a play off. Makes the early stages even less worth watching tbh, might as well only watch from, at the earliest, the round of 16. The groups and play offs fairly pointless

Should be exclusively for the champions of each league in a straight knock out tournament

This. And Europa League for clubs who finish 2nd to 4th maybe? But it's not about the football and the entertainment anymore. Greed is all it is.

Football is nothing without fans and they are making it worse for fans to watch.

Let’s see how often the big teams play each other in these fixtures

It’ll be tailored to make sure the best teams go through.

It’s a load of shite

Just like the new world cup format, you'd have to be utterly shit not to get through to the knockouts

And that's exactly what they want, more and more teams getting through and more and more games.

They are biting the hand that feeds them and I can't wait for the day viewing figures start to recede
16/36 teams will qualify for the knockouts as opposed to 16/32 currently. It'll be a bit harder if anything.

So everyone plays at least two games more than they would now? How will the big clubs with their enormous squads possibly cope with 2 extra games? Hold on I can hear it now - lets reduce the size of the PL, lets have a winter break, lets play fewer matches.... We would have no problem with the amount of football being played if, as has been suggested on this thread several times already, the CL was a pure knockout tournament... gonna be fascinating to see which teams play eachother......absolute joke!

Let’s see how often the big teams play each other in these fixtures

It’ll be tailored to make sure the best teams go through.

It’s a load of shite
They'll be 4 pots each with 9 teams in.
Man.City will be in the first pot and they'll play two teams from each pot. So they'll get a game against Real Madrid or PSG etc. I think it'll be better than the current system which is boring as hell.

Sorry if already a thread but couldn’t see anything obvious

New champions league format from next season

- 36 teams up from the 32 we have now
- now in a league format rather than the initial group stage
- each team plays 8 different opponents, 4 at home and 4 away
- teams finishing in positions 1-8 automatically qualify for the next round
- teams finishing in positions 9-24 will go into a knockout play-off round where they’ll play each other
- teams finishing 25-36 are out (I get the gist that this means they’re out of every completion and not put into, say, the europa league)

This looks like it’ll be the same format for the europa league and conference league with the only difference being that in the conference league teams will only play 6 initial games

For me I don’t think seems as if it’ll be as enjoyable as its current format but we’ll just have to see
Don't even watch it anymore after it moved from council tele, don't miss it one bit, the original European Cup format was much more prestigious

It's totally shit. Bring back European cup. UEFA cup & cup winners cup. Everything back then was worth winning.

It's just watered down shite now until the quarters & even they have become boring as fck

The Champions League has been a meaningless name for a long time so pointless taking it literally. They should rebrand it and it's changing due to threat of ESL to UEFA and also more money for the big teams with more games.

Last edited:

- teams finishing in positions 9-24 will go into a knockout play-off round where they’ll play each other
- teams finishing 25-36 are out (I get the gist that this means they’re out of every completion and not put into, say, the europa league)

This looks like it’ll be the same format for the europa league and conference league with the only difference being that in the conference league teams will only play 6 initial games

For me I don’t think seems as if it’ll be as enjoyable as its current format but we’ll just have to see
Shite.
Should be exclusively for the champions of each league in a straight knock out tournament
Even shiter.

What a hideous layout and such an unfair set up. A team that finishes 3rd or 4th in their league consistently but does well in the CL can have easier games than the champion of that league.
16/36 teams will qualify for the knockouts as opposed to 16/32 currently. It'll be a bit harder if anything.
They have more cracks at the whip than in the group stages
No more Man Utd finishing bottom of the group
So everyone plays at least two games more than they would now? How will the big clubs with their enormous squads possibly cope with 2 extra games? Hold on I can hear it now - lets reduce the size of the PL, lets have a winter break, lets play fewer matches.... We would have no problem with the amount of football being played if, as has been suggested on this thread several times already, the CL was a pure knockout tournament... gonna be fascinating to see which teams play eachother......absolute joke!
The league cup will suffer even more

Last edited:

Imagine finishing 24th in a league of 32 teams, and still having a chance to reach the knockout stages.

Absolutely shit man. :lol:

It’ll be like the EFL increasing the play offs to a round of 16, so you could finish 18th in the championship and still have play offs to go up. Completely brain dead and will be a way to try and make more money.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it some years down the line…

Last edited:
I will have zero interest in any of those games, for example a team in 20th playing a team in 17th, both of which in decent position to qualify for the next round. Ridiculous.

It has produced some of the most turgid football ever seen. I think the last game I watched was the Madrid/Liverpool final of 2022, which kind of summed it up. Two knackered teams; game played at a snail's pace; Real had two shots on target and won; shithousery all over the place; fans treated like animals. And yet it generated billions in revenues so UEFA is happy. It's a Disgrace.

Open to abuse I think. If man City win their first 5 games and are gauranteed top 8, whats to stop them throwing the last three games against teams struggling to get into the second group of 8 at the expense of say Manchester United? Even if not intentional teams that win the first 5 or 6 will field reserve teams after that and skew the final table.

Open to abuse I think. If man City win their first 5 games and are gauranteed top 8, whats to stop them throwing the last three games against teams struggling to get into the second group of 8 at the expense of say Manchester United? Even if not intentional teams that win the first 5 or 6 will field reserve teams after that and skew the final table.
The higher the finishing position the lower the seeding position. The lower the seeding position the weaker the potential opposition. ATM getting out of group stages simply throws you into the pot with everyone else in the KO stage.

Weaker teams are already fielded in games 5&6 at group stages by teams who are already through.

Back