Musicians That Your Parents/Grandparents Liked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't remember Grandparents showing any interest in music although my first wife's Grandad used to insist on listening to something called 'Sing Something Simple' (I think) on a Sunday on the radio.

Mam and Dad liked musicals soundtracks, Herb Alpert, Kenny Ball and Frank Sinatra. Me Dad used to also blast out the Band of the Coldstream Guards on a Sunday morning but I suspect this was to make my hangover worse. Mam liked any any piano-based classical music because she was a very good pianist. Oh, and they both liked Barbara Streisand.

When I say 'liked' they're actually both still alive but don't seem to bother with music any more.

What's spooky about the alphabet? ;)
I think its that you can't use Q without a U after it. Why? Can we not just say you don't have to and start having to spell those words with one less letter. Would save a bit of time.

Actually that's not spooky at all is it.

Just leave it.

We often have threads on here about the music we like but what about the music that your parents liked that may have ended up influencing you in some way?

My fathers very first record bought was IIRC a one by Matt Munro. He also liked Nat Kng Cole:

Probably helped me to perhaps like soul music.

My grandmother loved Jim Reeves. Remember a stack of his 7" singles falling off the the Dansette record player, including this one, which reminds me of her even to this day:

Me dad loved al Jolson ...I know all his songs!

Bit of an age difference thing going on here though. Grandparent >> Could be someone in their late forties . However there could be some on here who had grandparents born in the late 1800s.
Thats a good point. My Grandmother died in 1972 aged 56, so she would have been born in 1915/16.

clearly if your grandparents were born in the 1950's they will have a completely different musical spectrum.

My Mam loved Frank Sinatra, Doris Day, Perry Como, Nat King Cole and Jim Reeves. Dad really didn't do music which I always thought was a bit strange. However, he liked listening to Mam and her sisters who regularly used to sing (at the drop of a hat) at any family occasion. They were great together.

We often have threads on here about the music we like but what about the music that your parents liked that may have ended up influencing you in some way?

My fathers very first record bought was IIRC a one by Matt Munro. He also liked Nat Kng Cole:

Probably helped me to perhaps like soul music.

My grandmother loved Jim Reeves. Remember a stack of his 7" singles falling off the the Dansette record player, including this one, which reminds me of her even to this day:

Guy Mitchell - She wears red feathers and a hula hula skirt......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back