Micah Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...ester-are-linked-with-15m-kone-move-1-8034796
Why would he go to a one season wonder?

Money?

To be honest, I'm not sure City are a one-season wonder. Difficult to tell, of course: this time last year, you and I might well have been discussing which one of City or Sunderland would have been fighting relegation or settling for mid-table mediocrity. After all, you were still celebrating the fact that Dick Advocaat had ignored his wife, and we were coming to terms with the fact that City had replaced Nigel (Great Escape) Pearson with Claudio (Faeroe Islands) Ranieri.

Thus far, I am disappointed that we have lost Kanté and (more particularly) Steve Walsh), but we have kept Vardy and Chilwell, we look like we might keep Mahrez, and we have made some promising signings with people like Mendy and Musa. I'd like us to nail down Schmeichel, Drinkwater and Simpson, which should happen over the next couple of weeks. I watched us against Celtic the other night, and I thought we looked good, even if the ICC is a shite idea.

We'll see: I'm realistic enough to know that we are not going to cold-cock the PL like we did last year, but I fancy us for a top-ten finish, having competed well for the Euro places in 2017-18. The pressures of the Champions League are difficult to predict: we'll be seeded for the first group round, which is good (Barcelona can wait), but as a club we have absolutely no experience of European competition. I think that is where Ranieri will really earn his money, in preparing and coaching the players to play two big games a week for at least a third of the season.

Ultimately, every City fan knows that we will find it impossible to get a permanent seat at the top table. But for the moment, we are enjoying it for as long as it lasts. Certainly, it will live with me until I turn up my toes (given that I am now 70).

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...ester-are-linked-with-15m-kone-move-1-8034796

Money?

To be honest, I'm not sure City are a one-season wonder. Difficult to tell, of course: this time last year, you and I might well have been discussing which one of City or Sunderland would have been fighting relegation or settling for mid-table mediocrity. After all, you were still celebrating the fact that Dick Advocaat had ignored his wife, and we were coming to terms with the fact that City had replaced Nigel (Great Escape) Pearson with Claudio (Faeroe Islands) Ranieri.

Thus far, I am disappointed that we have lost Kanté and (more particularly) Steve Walsh), but we have kept Vardy and Chilwell, we look like we might keep Mahrez, and we have made some promising signings with people like Mendy and Musa. I'd like us to nail down Schmeichel, Drinkwater and Simpson, which should happen over the next couple of weeks. I watched us against Celtic the other night, and I thought we looked good, even if the ICC is a shite idea.

We'll see: I'm realistic enough to know that we are not going to cold-cock the PL like we did last year, but I fancy us for a top-ten finish, having competed well for the Euro places in 2017-18. The pressures of the Champions League are difficult to predict: we'll be seeded for the first group round, which is good (Barcelona can wait), but as a club we have absolutely no experience of European competition. I think that is where Ranieri will really earn his money, in preparing and coaching the players to play two big games a week for at least a third of the season.

Ultimately, every City fan knows that we will find it impossible to get a permanent seat at the top table. But for the moment, we are enjoying it for as long as it lasts. Certainly, it will live with me until I turn up my toes (given that I am now 70).

Simpson?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back