Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my own point of view it's because Ronaldo has done it here.
For me to rate Messi alongside Maradona I need him to do it at a World Cup.
Personal yardsticks, I'm certainly not saying others should agree.
Why would messi leave barca, arguably the best team in the world to sign for anyone in england?

Why would messi leave barca, arguably the best team in the world to sign for anyone in england?

Ambition mate, Barca are not the best team in the world as they haven't won the European cup last season.

Therefore there will be questionmarks against his "one club" career and "failed at a world cup". That's fine if he wants to be remembered as a great but to be remember as the GOAT he needs to be more ambitious.

Aye, imagine being a legend for one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the world and also part of what is widely considered to be one of the greatest club sides of all time.

Couple this with winning multiple Ballon D'ors and you can see why he has zero ambition. He isn't very far off Steve Harper tbf.

Aye, imagine being a legend for one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the world and also part of what is widely considered to be one of the greatest club sides of all time.

Couple this with winning multiple Ballon D'ors and you can see why he has zero ambition. He isn't very far off Steve Harper tbf.
But but but but but I thought newcastle were the biggest n best club n fans in the world yenna barca of the North n that !

Filled with inaccuracies, you can tell your a Geordie.

They are 5th in European Cup wins, his club side was no more special than other dominant team of any other era, wheels fell off when Pep left.

Plays in a 2 team league and doesn't even win the league every season, done nothing at a world cup. There are many question marks against his legacy.

They are 5th in European Cup wins, his club side was no more special than other dominant team of any other era, wheels fell off when Pep left.

Plays in a 2 team league and doesn't even win the league every season, done nothing at a world cup. There are many question marks against his legacy.

Done nothing at a world cup, really?

Done nothing at a world cup, really?

Nothing is a bit strong, but arguably he wasn't even Argentinas best player last year. Mascherano was I thought.
The greatest of all time IMO took an average team to a win in 86 and a final in 90.

Nothing is a bit strong, but arguably he wasn't even Argentinas best player last year. Mascherano was I thought.
The greatest of all time IMO took an average team to a win in 86 and a final in 90.

Personally I would claim the champions league is the measuring barometer now

We all get to see Messi pour it on week in week out nowadays

Maradona game never came under that scrutiny. Apart from world cups I bet you never sat down and watched Maradona play a full 90 minutes live more than 3 times

In my opinion I'd we got to see Maradona week in week out like we can now with modern day players I don't think his game would have matched up to Messi standards the past 10 year or so

Personally I would claim the champions league is the measuring barometer now

We all get to see Messi pour it on week in week out nowadays

Maradona game never came under that scrutiny. Apart from world cups I bet you never sat down and watched Maradona play a full 90 minutes live more than 3 times

In my opinion I'd we got to see Maradona week in week out like we can now with modern day players I don't think his game would have matched up to Messi standards the past 10 year or so

Hypothetical really mate. I saw Maradona lead a team to a World Cup win almost single handedly.

Which was only 7 games and you were only a bairn at the time still:)

I was 10 but had a brain old enough to absorb what was happening :)

It was that tournament when I began to appreciate there was more to football than the hustle and bustle of the English game.
Emilio Butragueno scoring 4 in a game. Maradona the genius. Josimar's goal v N.Ireland. Great memories.

These Messi - Ronaldo debates get boring mind.
I agree, it's one of those arguments that comes down to opinion and personal choice, it in my opinion is pretty much impossible to seperate the two greatest players on the planet and what is quite astonishing is they have been so good for so long and seem to fire of one another raising the bar for each other it truly is a spectacle to behold. @rebandwhiterob is spot-on in saying the champions league is the barometer nowadays and both players have consistently shone in this competition also. People really just need to acknowledge the genius of both and accept that people will always have a favourite, a preference for one or the other.

Like I give a shit what a moron like you thinks! I'd listen to the dog before I listened to you.

To challenge himself as a person perhaps.
:lol:

But the prem is a one team league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back