Matty Young on loan to Darlington

I know Donnarumma didn’t have the best of games against Barcelona in the champions league but surprised to hear he’s retired.

Vandevoordt (now 21 or 22ish) who’s moving to Leipzig this summer is the youngest keeper to play champions league aged……. 17.

If he’s good enough he’s old enough. His quality is in no way in doubt, its the physicality of handling men’s football that is what most young keepers struggle with.

People don’t realise what we got.

Your right about not being a rush but if the opertunity arises and he preforms then there’s also no need to hold him back.

Heard the Patto pissed of with the club about the Diamond thing was bollocks
It wasn't just him mentioned wasn't it imagine if he's here next season as soon as he makes a few mistakes he will be slated and it's very high risk having him number one, let's be honest he can be very highly rated but at the moment it's probably too high a leap for him to play.

He doesn’t want to hear it, said exactly this before. There’s other top keepers too. Either that or he doesn’t appreciate what kinda talent we have on our hands.

Hes proven at 17 he can handle men’s football, it’s massive, like him. Let’s see how he gets on in pre season, my guess is gunna do very well
Selling a 23 year old established GK and replacing him with a 17 year old who has played a dozen games in the 6th tier...if it was any other club, I'd say you're off your t1ts. But it's us, so it'll probably be true 😄.

He might be excellent, but he's incredibly young and has absolutely no experience beyond amateur/youth football. Big risk. If it was another year and a higher loan down the line, I would definitely understand that.

The fact people can only name a couple of top keepers one of which has been retired ages proves my point he's proven he can play at Darlington it's a bit of a difference, doesn't want to hear what I can rate him but think it's to soon it hardly a controversial opinion even pickford had decent loans before establishing himself.
In fairness we are doing things differently to practically any club in terms of playing young players. FWIW I agree with you, even if we get him a 6 month loan to L2 or something, play in some real stadiums.

The fact people can only name a couple of top keepers one of which has been retired ages proves my point he's proven he can play at Darlington it's a bit of a difference, doesn't want to hear what I can rate him but think it's to soon it hardly a controversial opinion even pickford had decent loans before establishing himself.

restes was 18 at the start of this season and he's no1 for toulouse

Selling a 23 year old established GK and replacing him with a 17 year old who has played a dozen games in the 6th tier...if it was any other club, I'd say you're off your t1ts. But it's us, so it'll probably be true 😄.

He might be excellent, but he's incredibly young and has absolutely no experience beyond amateur/youth football. Big risk. If it was another year and a higher loan down the line, I would definitely understand that.
Donnaruma 16 years and 242 days debut age and player regular there after for….. Milan……. In Seria A.

Zero prior league experience

Buffon 17 years, 295 days debut age and played regular there after for Parma (when they were mint) in seria a

Ok so 2 very special players. The point is just cos a player has no experience doesn’t mean they shouldn’t play. The question should be are they good enough.

Worth remembering we’re in the second tier of English football……

If the lads as good as I believe him to be a lack of experience shouldn’t stop him from getting a chance to stake a claim. Players have come in with less experience at a much higher level and cemented their place in teams

Last edited:
Donnaruma 16 years and 242 days debut age and player regular there after for….. Milan……. In Seria A.

Buffon 17 years, 295 days debut age and played regular there after for Parma (when they were mint) in seria a

Ok so 2 very special players. The point is just cos a player has no experience doesn’t mean they shouldn’t play. The question should be are they good enough.

Worth remembering we’re in the second tier of English football……

If the lads as good as I believe him to be a lack of experience shouldn’t stop him from getting a chance to stake a claim. Players have come in with less experience at a much higher level and cemented their place in teams
It’s a massive ask to make him number next season, one of those players you just named might well be the best keeper of all time. If they do it they are going to have to somehow convince a really good keeper to come in as a number2 in case he has a blip.

Back