Leonardo di Caprio as Frank Sinatra

I hope Scorsese doesn’t turn it into a 4 hour bore fest.
I read something recently that said where directors are producing films straight for Netflix etc. they are treating it completely different to a normal film.

Because they aren't working in the usual confines of knowing someone has to sit in a cinema, they will take more time to tell a story, as the audience can watch as they please.

For example, would you call it a 4 hour bore fest if it was 4 x 1 hour episodes

I read something recently that said where directors are producing films straight for Netflix etc. they are treating it completely different to a normal film.

Because they aren't working in the usual confines of knowing someone has to sit in a cinema, they will take more time to tell a story, as the audience can watch as they please.

For example, would you call it a 4 hour bore fest if it was 4 x 1 hour episodes

Depends if the one hour episodes were exciting.

I not a big fan of Hollywood biopics.

There is no doubt about it that Sintara was a good singer but I was never really that interested in him as a person. He was just a 1950's/60's American showbiz personality with all the hype that went with it like the obligatory multiple marriages to other showbiz personalities and the (alleged) dinking. That's not enough to fill a couple of hours.

The only really facinating Sinatra fact is that his "swinging 60's daughter - Nancy "These boots are made for walking" Sinatra - is now 83 years of age which makes me very old indeed!!!

Still I guess that they will squeez in a canny few of his recordings and that should boost what is probably by now a flagging back catalogue. So its good news for the Warner Music Group who took over the recording company that Sinatra set up Reprise Records and I guess that their parent company Warner Brothers who own all of Sinatra's old films will be funding this one.
I think he's a very interesting character tbh, obviously the JFK/Mafia links and like most artistic types he was a very complex character, so I hope they do a better more interesting job than the most recent big biopic 'Elvis', they captured the artist okay but not the man, was flashy but insubstantial, and factually incorrect on many occasions, I'd trust Scorcese to get the facts right, as long as he's allowed to go warts and all, which while Nancy is alive I'm not so sure, I reckon that's why it hasn't been made so far, the family....

The soundtrack will obviously boost the coffers, that might be the payoff, there's a great many things I like about Sinatra, lots of people have a lot of good things to say about him, but there was definitely a dark side, let's hope it's even handed and tells the truth but in a respectful way.

Back