Johnny Crossan Interview!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for the mention. I am also old enough to have been a huge fan of Crossan. He was everything I wanted to be, but mostly wasn't, as a kid playing football in the park: skilled, goalscoring, tough, rebellious. For those who haven't time to read the full interviews, which I decided to reproduce after another old reader expressed interest, here's an idea of what we mean to him.

Q You played for us but also for Manchester City, Boro and nearly for Bristol City. Whose results do you look for first?

A Well Man City and Sunderland, but you don’t need to look at one before the other with matches kicking off at all times. But hand on heart if I had to put my last penny on it, it would have to be Sunderland.

I hope to be able to update the story - how he's doing, if he's still playing 5-a-side (I left it open as to how he'd got on a couple of hours after we'd spoke: in fact, pushing 73, he scored five goals) etc.

If you want to know what he thought of McClean even before he got his chance under MoN, you'll need to go to the second instalment linked above

My hero.. When he cracked in the winner against Charlton in the 89th minute back in '64 all the old buggers - I was 7 - thought this would be our first and only promotion..most of them, like my dad and uncles that day, are long gone..but they had gorged themselves on being the bank of england club and just expected it. Not like us lot who think 17th is a good season.

He scored the first goal I ever saw - in a 2-1 loss to Southamton in 63..and still, through rose colored glasses, produced the best ever away performace by a Sunderland player in the first game of the legendary 6th round tie (series) against man utd in 64..my first away game. Ripped them apart he did.

Elbows like steel as well. Plus, fucked over (as I later found out) by the football establishment.

I wonder if kids today will have such heroes, 50 years onward?

My hero in my early days going to Roker. I still see him now in that light blue away shirt at Old Trafford in 1964 completely running the game against arguably the best team Man U have ever had. That will live with me forever. A truly gifted player.

My hero.. When he cracked in the winner against Charlton in the 89th minute back in '64 all the old buggers - I was 7 - thought this would be our first and only promotion..most of them, like my dad and uncles that day, are long gone..but they had gorged themselves on being the bank of england club and just expected it. Not like us lot who think 17th is a good season.

He scored the first goal I ever saw - in a 2-1 loss to Southamton in 63..and still, through rose colored glasses, produced the best ever away performace by a Sunderland player in the first game of the legendary 6th round tie (series) against man utd in 64..my first away game. Ripped them apart he did.

Elbows like steel as well. Plus, fucked over (as I later found out) by the football establishment.

This sums up my early days as a supporter. He was my first hero too. I couldn't get to that Southampton game, as dad was working, but I was sure we'd win it because we had him.

My hero in my early days going to Roker. I still see him now in that light blue away shirt at Old Trafford in 1964 completely running the game against arguably the best team Man U have ever had. That will live with me forever. A truly gifted player.

I was standing in the Stretford End that day so had a perfect view of both his goals - happy days and the rarity of seeing Mulhall score with a header!

You mentioned the strip we wore - I came across this pic yesterday which shows it and would very much like to see it replicated now, because it has to be my all time favourite away kit.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Less of the old buggers please...I was 16 and also thought that would be our last promotion. Haven't we seen some shit since???

I was standing in the Stretford End that day so had a perfect view of both his goals - happy days and the rarity of seeing Mulhall score with a header!

You mentioned the strip we wore - I came across this pic yesterday which shows it and would very much like to see it replicated now, because it has to be my all time favourite away kit.

Me too. I was at the same end of the ground, couldn't remember which end it was.......only 11 years old.;) Remember coming out after the game and getting back to my Dad's car in tears with disappointment and disbelief.:cry: Still,the following Wednesday was the greatest night game I've ever been to......though more tears afterwards again! My mother said she didn't know why I wanted to go if it upset me so much..........should have listened to her and saved myself 50 years of more of the same.:D

Me too. I was at the same end of the ground, couldn't remember which end it was.......only 11 years old.;) Remember coming out after the game and getting back to my Dad's car in tears with disappointment and disbelief.:cry: Still,the following Wednesday was the greatest night game I've ever been to......though more tears afterwards again! My mother said she didn't know why I wanted to go if it upset me so much..........should have listened to her and saved myself 50 years of more of the same.:D

Can remember a lot of the Man Utd supporters leaving early with many wanting to shake my hand (I was wearing my colours) then telling me that we were the best team they had seen at Old Trafford that season and they hoped we would win the cup!

The disappointment following that was immense, as was the same feeling at the end of the 1st replay, we'd been all over them in both games - thankfully, I didn't go to Leeds Road!

Just spoke to Johnny. Pushing 76, still playing three times a week and running his sports shop. Sharp as ever.

My first ever match, the lads played in the sky blue kit away at Rotherham utd. Dad took me as a nipper. score was 2-2 . I think Johnny scored both goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back