Jimmy Thelin (managerial suggestion)

I’m surprised so many are saying the style of play doesn’t suit us - most of what I’m reading about the way his teams play sounds a lot like us last season when we were at our most effective.

Same. This season we have moved to more of a possession based team and I don't think it has suited us as much. Apparently the Swedish national team want him but he isn't keen. Not too sure what to make of that link though as normally the Swedes play very dull football. :lol:

Being Swedish and following Allsvenskan very closely (due to work and due to supporting Mjällby AIF... never heard of that club have you? ;)) I think I can add a lil bit of info on Jimmy Thelin. He's highly rated in Sweden but not hailed as the next big thing (to go out and succeed in Europe), a genius or anything like that... Also his style of play is very, very focused on trying to conquer the ball in the right areas and then strike with blistering speed (no doubt Elfsborg has been very good and successful doing just that, with a squad very suited for that style of play). Even when they've been playing at home against teams in the middle of the table or even lower, they've often been more than happy to have below 50% possession. Not that sure that style of play will marry perfectly with the squad we have, even with players like Roberts, Clarke, Ba... Thelin hasn't really proved he can or is willing to play another style, so do we want to be 'locked' to be playing like that - often sitting quite deep - which sometimes can look and be quite passive if the opponents decide to just knock it about. I don't think I do.

Also the man - and this is not meant to be negative, it's just the way he is - is quite... darn boring, as a character. Not a 'big problem' up here in Sweden (even if many think he's very boring to listen to), but I can imagine he'd really struggle to get the supporters on his side by being charming and/or convincing doing media. Also I have real doubts that he'd be able to command and enthuse a squad at this level in England. He's not very Neil Warnock'y, if I put it that way. On the very opposite side of the spectrum. There were two managers in Sweden I think was ready for the Championship. The one most suited just went to QPR (Cifuentes). The other one being Malmö FF:s Rydström. The two we've been linked to (Hellberg and Thelin), not so much. I think they'd both be failures at Sunderland which would be a shame as it'd be fun for me seeing a Swede manage my club in England.
This football is very well suited to our squad, but it seemed to me that we were trying very very hard to kick on with a more possession based style as well.

We are very good at transition football, mind.
I’m surprised so many are saying the style of play doesn’t suit us - most of what I’m reading about the way his teams play sounds a lot like us last season when we were at our most effective.
Exactly. But it was limited, especially at home.

Back