Jawdee aggro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born in Sunderland but i was brought up a long way away. I don't give a monkeys chuff if you bleed red and white so to speak. I grew up as a young un getting called Geordie by lads down here and although now they say "You should have told us you were a mackem?" it's hard to explain that term wasn't used then. Although Piston has/is on a wind up over this matter on similar threads, i can sort of understand his angle, even though it doesn't bother me in the slightest

Would be interesting to get the proper figures, based on season tickets or something.
I don't but as I said on the other thread, Sunderland has a population of 275,000. To get 28,000 people from the city at the game means 1 in 10 of the population goes. That doesn't happen. But it's good that the support also comes from outside the city as well

Still wouldn't be right to what this is about. I don't live in sr, being an example.
Yeah your right the post office have got some strange ideas for post codes.

Maybe young and future tyneside fans have the decision to make. Personally i think the club will get smaller because of it. I think the divide is there now and won't be erased. Mr Hall and SKY have accomplished what they set out to achieve.

I've never had a decision to make, i was here before it all started. One day soon me and people like me will be out of your hair though and the heritage will be gone forever. You'll then be able to say you're a mackem club and have the whole lot to yourself. Mack the most of it.

Exactly. Why would young Geordies from south of the tyne follow SAFC (as thousands have done in the past and still do) when all you hear is anti Geordie obscenities from SAFC fans. Newcastle fans = mags! We should rebel against the generalisation of Mackems for SAFC fans

If you're that interested you could go back through the thread and read it

I've followed the thread intently but must have missed your invented series of events.

Why would you originally choose to call yourselves by a word which, effectively and up your accent? It simply doesn't equate, marra.

But I'm sure you're going to attempt to put me right.

Which was deemed enough to cover Sunderland. Just because there's more NE numbers doesn't help a lot, Sunderland fans are only based heavily in a few of them in specific geographical locations, i'm sure you knew that though.

you seem very well informed about coal mining/shipbuliding history.
IS IT A FACT, that back in the 60's or maybe 70's, there was nearly a walk out/strikes at Swans because the jawdees didnt agree with the yard having so many ''mackems'' working in it ??

you seem very well informed about coal mining/shipbuliding history.
IS IT A FACT, that back in the 60's or maybe 70's, there was nearly a walk out/strikes at Swans because the jawdees didnt agree with the yard having so many ''mackems'' working in it ??

What have postcodes got to do with the coal mining/shipbuilding industries?
In the 70's industry ground to a halt almost every day for petty strikes. Having a couple too many "mackems" would've been more than enough justification for everyone to down tools.:):):)

I'm not sure of exact details but industry in the days of unions was very strange and that wasn't limited to mackems/geordies/yackers. A sparky wasn't allowed to touch a hammer and a carpenter wasn't allowed to unplug a kettle etc etc etc.

I've followed the thread intently but must have missed your invented series of events.

Why would you originally choose to call yourselves by a word which, effectively and up your accent? It simply doesn't equate, marra.

DODGY man ffs, I dont give a flying one that jawdees think we talk funny.
FWIW, I think jawdees talk funny - Mack and Tack or Myek and Tyek. Wheez keys are these, or HOOs keys are these like - who gives a toss ?? I dont feel insulted. IF the jawdees invented mack and tack due to the ships, then I feel even better as they were obviously jealous as fk about our skills.
I will say it again - I am 53 and have always considered myself a Wearsider - mackem did not even enter my vocabulary until the 90's when I was in my 30s !!! I did sing the songs about jawdees here jawdees there etc, but also used to belt out loud and proud ''from the banks of the river wear to the shores of sicily, and '' wear wear wearside, wearside, wearside, wear wear wearside wear wearside etc. When the chant began in the lates 80s iirc, when jawdees/mackems was being shouted, I always sang mackems. That chant was never malicious - always got a bit of a laugh is how I recall it, as it always was taken as a piss take of celtic/rangers chants.
Its great that we have support from all over the region - its brilliant that we have such big pockets of fans in ASHINGTON and BLYTH for example, but pls stop your jawdee propaganda, no Wearsider is falling for it.
Just enjoy supporting your chosen team - SAFC from Sunderland, Co. Durham as it was in 1879, although enjoy might be the wrong word:lol:

What have postcodes got to do with the coal mining/shipbuilding industries?
In the 70's industry ground to a halt almost every day for petty strikes. Having a couple too many "mackems" would've been more than enough justification for everyone to down tools.:):):)

I'm not sure of exact details but industry in the days of unions was very strange and that wasn't limited to mackems/geordies/yackers. A sparky wasn't allowed to touch a hammer and a carpenter wasn't allowed to unplug a kettle etc etc etc.

Reason I ask is that my old careers teacher John ''Jack'' Boyd at Monkwearmouth Comp said that there had been a lot of bother with unions at Swans over employing lads from the wear. He said it was ridiculous because there werent enough lads in Tyneside with the skills required so Swans had to employ lads with the skills to get the orders out on time, and they didnt care if they were from Timbuktu or Sunderland as long as they were capable.
Obviously if the Sunderland Shipyards were quiet and lads were available, they's take the chance to work 15 miles up the road to feed their families or piss it up against the wall as many did:neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason I ask is that my old careers teacher John ''Jack'' Boyd at Monkwearmouth Comp said that there had been a lot of bother with unions at Swans over employing lads from the wear. He said it was ridiculous because there werent enough lads in Tyneside with the skills required so Swans had to employ lads with the skills to get the orders out on time, and they didnt care if they were from Timbuktu or Sunderland as long as they were capable.
Obviously if the Sunderland Shipyards were quiet and lads were available, they's take the chance to work 15 miles up the road to feed their families or piss it up against the wall as many did:neutral:

I can't say that didn't happen but lots of industries like that were virtually closed shops to "outsiders", that includes the wear and the tyne. I was told by an older fella once that if you didn't already have family in those types of places it was very difficult to get in. Therefore any discrimination probably wasn't just limited to the wear/tyne. That's how things were back then.
Unions had a lot of power in those days.

Don't need to 'attempt' marra. Its the truth but you wouldn't know as you're a sandy........it's like me suggesting that I know more about in-breeding than a sandy

Exactly. Why would young Geordies from south of the tyne follow SAFC (as thousands have done in the past and still do) when all you hear is anti Geordie obscenities from SAFC fans. Newcastle fans = mags! We should rebel against the generalisation of Mackems for SAFC fans

Rebel away :lol:

DODGY man ffs, I dont give a flying one that jawdees think we talk funny.
FWIW, I think jawdees talk funny - Mack and Tack or Myek and Tyek. Wheez keys are these, or HOOs keys are these like - who gives a toss ?? I dont feel insulted. IF the jawdees invented mack and tack due to the ships, then I feel even better as they were obviously jealous as fk about our skills.
I will say it again - I am 53 and have always considered myself a Wearsider - mackem did not even enter my vocabulary until the 90's when I was in my 30s !!! I did sing the songs about jawdees here jawdees there etc, but also used to belt out loud and proud ''from the banks of the river wear to the shores of sicily, and '' wear wear wearside, wearside, wearside, wear wear wearside wear wearside etc. When the chant began in the lates 80s iirc, when jawdees/mackems was being shouted, I always sang mackems. That chant was never malicious - always got a bit of a laugh is how I recall it, as it always was taken as a piss take of celtic/rangers chants.
Its great that we have support from all over the region - its brilliant that we have such big pockets of fans in ASHINGTON and BLYTH for example, but pls stop your jawdee propaganda, no Wearsider is falling for it.
Just enjoy supporting your chosen team - SAFC from Sunderland, Co. Durham as it was in 1879, although enjoy might be the wrong word:lol:

Sorry mate, I think you have totally missed my point. Your argument is actually identical to mine! I too happily sang 'from the banks of the river wear' and 'Wear wear wearside' ... and proudly stood side by side with my Sunderland friends... but these days we are almost being made to feel unwelcome because of all the 'geordie' hatred. All I want is for folk to use the words mag or scum or even black and white b*stards when saying they hate the unwashed up the road.

There are folk on here who have actually said we should f*ck off and support them up the road.

Sorry mate, I think you have totally missed my point. Your argument is actually identical to mine! I too happily sang 'from the banks of the river wear' and 'Wear wear wearside' ... and proudly stood side by side with my Sunderland friends... but these days we are almost being made to feel unwelcome because of all the 'geordie' hatred. All I want is for folk to use the words mag or scum or even black and white b*stards when saying they hate the unwashed up the road.

There are folk on here who have actually said we should f*ck off and support them up the road.

thats just plain daft UNLESS they are being provocative and as arrogant as mag geordies. Any fan of SAFC is welcome in my book.

what songs do we sing where geordie is mentioned - when singing bout them its '' we hate the mags and we hate the mags we are the magpie haters ??

thats just plain daft UNLESS they are being provocative and as arrogant as mag geordies. Any fan of SAFC is welcome in my book.

what songs do we sing where geordie is mentioned - when singing bout them its '' we hate the mags and we hate the mags we are the magpie haters ??

Pretty sure there's a video somewhere on this very thread of "we hate Geordies" being sung... Could be mistaken, mind, cos I didn't actually bother clicking on it when it was suggested that that was the nature of it.

Anyway, you get my shift, though. I have happily stood side by side with fans from all over the place for forty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back