James McConnell

I done work for the goalkeepers dad we let go to Liverpool in that era. He said he couldn’t fault what Sunderland had done for his lad but they were more than happy to let the lads go and take the money on offer. No effort was made to keep them which kind of made there mind up for them! They were also Newcastle fans so had no affiliation to the clubs or dreams to see their son play for Sunderland like Dan Neil.

I done work for the goalkeepers dad we let go to Liverpool in that era. He said he couldn’t fault what Sunderland had done for his lad but they were more than happy to let the lads go and take the money on offer. No effort was made to keep them which kind of made there mind up for them! They were also Newcastle fans so had no affiliation to the clubs or dreams to see their son play for Sunderland like Dan Neil.
No surprise at the time mate. I've heard similar things too. I bet there was a big difference between what the coaching staff wanted and the clowns in charge wanted (and did).

No surprise at the time mate. I've heard similar things too. I bet there was a big difference between what the coaching staff wanted and the clowns in charge wanted (and did).
Like I say he didn’t have a bad word to say about Sunderland or the academy was all very positive. Just basically said they were getting told what was happening rather then being informed and an effort being made to try and keep the player. When Liverpool come calling it’s hard to say no but zero effort was made to make them stay. For the record by the sounds of it his son won’t make the grade and potentially be released end of the season, he’s on loan in none league atm

Donald saw a few quid to keep the lights on.

The amount of academy talent we lost during that period was a travesty and nowhere near enough is made of it.

It barely gets a mention anywhere apart from on here.
The club have absolutely no say at all on players at 15 year old who haven’t signed a professional deal. Plenty of things to give Donald stick for, but this isn’t one of them.

Like I say he didn’t have a bad word to say about Sunderland or the academy was all very positive. Just basically said they were getting told what was happening rather then being informed and an effort being made to try and keep the player. When Liverpool come calling it’s hard to say no but zero effort was made to make them stay. For the record by the sounds of it his son won’t make the grade and potentially be released end of the season, he’s on loan in none league atm
I remember him at the academy. Sad state of affairs at the time that your told your basically going to move on.
I've watched a few games last season with him playing 18s. Saw he's at Staylebridge.
The club have absolutely no say at all on players at 15 year old who haven’t signed a professional deal. Plenty of things to give Donald stick for, but this isn’t one of them.
So if the club and the 15 year old and his family say no they can't stay?

Last edited:

Back