WAW Is Cattermole Worth the Aggro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

It would be pretty easy, in the heat of emotion following Sunday’s almost stereotypical Sunderland meltdown, to dismiss Lee Cattermole. The same Cattermole that many of us have lauded this season for perhaps being the one player who was up for this relegation dogfight. Most footballers have their pros and cons – but which outweigh the other?

More at Wearewearside...

No.

His first season he was amazing, even better than he was at Wigan. The likes of Liverpool and Man United were looking at him and justifiably so and I had very high hopes for him. I even thought there was an outside possibility of him becoming an England regular.

Since then he seems to have lost the ability to control his mouth and his temper.

We need him on the pitch this season more than ever and he seemed to have turned a corner when he was recalled to the first team after PDC but unfortunately he seems to have reverted to type once again and so seldom will he be on the pitch.

Contrary to popular belief on here players such as Gardener really are better than nothing, and given Cattermole's disciplinary (or lack thereof) record, thats all he can offer us, a blank space where a player used to be in an 11man squad. Subsequently it's a no from me.

Maybe give him one last chance in a couple of months time but only if he earns it.

No.

His first season he was amazing, even better than he was at Wigan. The likes of Liverpool and Man United were looking at him and justifiably so.

Since then he seems to have lost the ability to control his mouth and his temper.

We need him on the pitch this season more than ever and he seemed to have turned a corner when he was recalled to the first team after PDC but unfortunately he seems to have reverted to type once again and so seldom will he be on the pitch.

Contrary to popular belief on here players such as Vaughan really are better than nothing, and given Cattermole's disciplinary (or lack thereof) record, thats all he can offer us, a blank space in an 11man squad. Subsequently it's a no from me.

Maybe give him one last chance in a couple of months time but only if he earns it.

This couldn't be any less true, IMO anyway. Since O'Neill came in Cattermole has performed better than he ever did for us beforehand & his disciplinary record has become much improved over the past couple of years with the odd relapse. 5 cards in his last 21 appearances, it's really nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

Definitely not. I've never really rated the lad like a lot on here. Overall, since he came to the SOL, I have seen some really good games such as that involving him and Cana vs Man Utd at the SOL. However, his time with us has been peppered with controversy, bookings, red cards, personal indiscipline and team incitement almost to mutiny.

He creates very little and hasn't scored even one goal for the team in his time at the SOL.

In my honest view he is not worth the bother.

Simple answer is no despite what people on here say it was a red and haven't changed my mind despite watching it over and over again.

As other people have said we need him more than ever but the idiot will never learn he knew he was off as soon as he made the tackle so don't see why people are trying to defend him.

I do think he has been a liability in the past but yesterday he was unlucky. He got sent off for being Lee Cattermole. I don't think any other player would have seen red for that challenge. It's shit but it's not his fault that referees aren't impartial.

I do think he has been a liability in the past but yesterday he was unlucky. He got sent off for being Lee Cattermole. I don't think any other player would have seen red for that challenge. It's shit but it's not his fault that referees aren't impartial.
Cue people saying "but he has given himself that reputation" ignoring the fact that this new red is adding to the reputation…so from now on he's in a downward spiral he can't get out of.

Cue people saying "but he has given himself that reputation" ignoring the fact that this new red is adding to the reputation…so from now on he's in a downward spiral he can't get out of.
yes he can. He can stop making stupid f***ing tackles

yes he can. He can stop making stupid f***ing tackles

So his only option, as a combative central midfielder, is to stop tackling? Yesterday wasn't malicious or dangerous it was just ill timed. Every midfielder in the league will make one of those at some point in a season, why is it fair that only Lee Cattermole isn't allowed to without getting a red card? The problem, in this instance, is with the officials and i hope we make that clear to the fa so next time a ref might take a more balanced view....he couldn't get his card out fast enough and Elmo should be retrospectively banned for three games for being a cheating twat.

So his only option, as a combative central midfielder, is to stop tackling? Yesterday wasn't malicious or dangerous it was just ill timed. Every midfielder in the league will make one of those at some point in a season, why is it fair that only Lee Cattermole isn't allowed to without getting a red card? The problem, in this instance, is with the officials and i hope we make that clear to the fa so next time a ref might take a more balanced view....he couldn't get his card out fast enough and Elmo should be retrospectively banned for three games for being a cheating twat.
I didn't even imply that. I said stop making STUPID tackles. He knew he was late and that it was reckless as he got up and walked off the pitch without even waiting for the refs decision.

He is still the most effective midfielder on the books - what that says about the rest of the bunch - and as long as we have a chnace to save this season somehow then we shouldn't cut hime loose. but as soon as it is assured we are doomed then it is time to off load sharpish.

He'd fit right in back at boro.

I didn't even imply that. I said stop making STUPID tackles. He knew he was late and that it was reckless as he got up and walked off the pitch without even waiting for the refs decision.

He saw him reaching for his back pocket man. maybe not protesting means he has matured considering it doesn't make them change their mind anyway?

The tackle was nothing out of the ordinary, except it was Cattermole who made it. He can't keep being punished for tackles he made three years ago.

No...simple as![DOUBLEPOST=1383545350][/DOUBLEPOST]
He saw him reaching for his back pocket man. maybe not protesting means he has matured considering it doesn't make them change their mind anyway?

The tackle was nothing out of the ordinary, except it was Cattermole who made it. He can't keep being punished for tackles he made three years ago.
The tackle was obvious to all viewers as a pre-meditated retaliation for his lack of speed and a blatant late and illegal tackle in true Cattermole style ( he is reknowned for illegal late and dangerous)

He is still the most effective midfielder on the books - what that says about the rest of the bunch - and as long as we have a chnace to save this season somehow then we shouldn't cut hime loose. but as soon as it is assured we are doomed then it is time to off load sharpish.

He'd fit right in back at boro.
To be honest his passing is shit, he tries defence splitting balls or elaborate across field passes far too often, his job is to find a red and white shirt and far too often he doesn't.

He plays in 50% of games. He makes a good contribution in around a third of them. That is 6 league games a season. Factor in his very likely impact on the dressing room pisshead culture and the answer is fairly obvious. Nobody else wanted him in the summer which is also telling.

He is better than the rest and anyone who goes to the games can tell a mile off that he has more passion than all the other bottlers put together (i exclude westwood in that)

Pretty futile debate. He is a huge part of Poyets plans, he's considering appealling the red card.[DOUBLEPOST=1383547999][/DOUBLEPOST]

It was a stupid tackle to make, harsh red mind.

Not sure that is necessarily true as didn't jordi Gomez and brede hangeland both get sent off for similar challenges against us? Can't recall if either made a lot of contact or not but were challenges from similar angle to Cattermole's and all resulted in red cards.

Anyway whilst we have a chance to stay up he needs to at least be considered. If we are able to find a better pairing during his suspension then clearly he shouldn't be rushed back into the team. We also have to consider what team / squad we need in the championship should we get relegated and would think that Cattermole would certainly aid us in that division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back