Is Alexandra Lesley Phillips racist or are her concerns legitimate?

Surely they are legitimate until proven to be false? It happens all over but it's a taboo subject but she's right. It won't change though as this is now what we have already accepted as a culture. The good and the bad

“I’m increasingly being leered at, I'm increasingly being followed" - not racist
"it’s not by people that are born & bred here" - a bit racisty.

Hope that helps.

Both may be factual. It’s how the second part is portrayed could be construed as racist depending on the words used and tone.

But I think the article/ post is designed to generate bites more than it has any substance in actual racism.

'Like I'm going around the streets of Morocco' is unnecessary if you want to avoid being seen as racist. I was fine in Morocco and wasn't followed once that I know of.
Are you a blonde woman?
“I’m increasingly being leered at, I'm increasingly being followed" - not racist
"it’s not by people that are born & bred here" - a bit racisty.

Hope that helps.
Everybody knows exactly what she meant. Culturally not white British, probably Muslim.

Last edited:
No but I know blonde women who also visited Morocco with no issues. They loved the market places. Is it an issue in Morocco?
Are you saying the woman on the clip is a liar? She may be.

There are huge cultural differences even within Europe. In the 80s in Italy my missus was hit on three times when I went to the toilet in Naples railway station. It was funny but I imagine would have been exhausting if you were a sole female traveller.

Are you saying the woman on the clip is a liar? She may be.

There are huge cultural differences even within Europe. In the 80s in Italy my missus was hit on three times when I went to the toilet in Naples railway station. It was funny but I imagine would have been exhausting if you were a sole female traveller.
So she could have said Italian rather than referencing Morocco.

I once knew a girl who was either horrified by jeering from building sites or she enjoyed it depending on whether or not she considered them 'hunks'.

Back