if someone was visiting sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm scheduled to stay at the Acorn guest house on Mowbray rd Saturday night. If the Everton game isn't moved due to FA cup, I'll be there. If not, I'm planning a stadium tour and/or a couple hours in Durham

As far as food goes I like things exotic to me (Indian Thai sushi Chinese etc).. my gf loves CTM (I would probably try something new anyways) so I was hoping to see how that tastes in UK compared to what we have in USA. either way, my main goal is to have things I can't have in America- if that means the best pub in the area then so be it (I'd prefer Asian to pub food any day but "when in Rome..."). I'll be there from noon sat to 10am sun with no car, so I figure I'll have a lunch and dinner out (breakfast included at my place).. other than that, I'm also open to any other things to check out (preferably within walking distance since we won't be there long enough to worry about public transport)
The Ivy House is but a 10 minute stroll from your digs.

this looks good too!! too many choices for just two meals :/
It's Sunderland's premier drinking establishment. Just a 3 minute walk to Chaplins from there and you're in the City centre. Chaplins is packed pre match as well.

I'll be in the Ivy from about 2 tomorrow if you're a bit early.

It's Sunderland's premier drinking establishment. Just a 3 minute walk to Chaplins from there and you're in the City centre. Chaplins is packed pre match as well.

Don't think he's up til 4 weeks time. I'm up that weekend anarl if it's the case.

Walk from the Town down by the river, popping in the Glass Centre and visiting St Peters. Continue on past the Marina and up through Roker Park and along the front to Whitburn.
Maybe pop in the Roker for a pint or something to eat on the way back. Plenty of other pubs and eateries along there.
D'aqua for some bait on the night.
Pub crawl from Deptford, Isis, Dun Cow etc.
Winter Gardens, Museum and Mowbray Park, Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art depending on what is on.
Penshaw Monument.

Admittedly it depends on what type of stuff they like. Could take them for a livelier night out if you wanted.
Take them to a match or a tour of the stadium.;)

Is there any "tourist walks" like there is all ower the world in proper tourist places?

Is there any "tourist walks" like there is all ower the world in proper tourist places?
The one I described is one up to a point, it has the various different bits of sculpture along the way. There are 'official' ones as well and there have been guided tours in the past.
I'll try and find a link to the official ones, I did one when I was off work after having my nose done. I looked a bit mental with 18 stitches in my nose so people left me along but it went through Mowbray Park, Sunniside, down by the river etc. Lots of interesting little things I didn't know about.

is Souter lighthouse still the best place for Panackelty? you'll have to make sure your visitors try our favourite dish. It's on the menu at the Court Inn Durham.

Souter Lighthouse is in Newcastle apparently:

http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/things-to-do/souter-lighthouse-and-the-leas-p21181

As many people have said a walk along Seaburn-Roker is always as good shout for taking people who are visiting Sunderland, although get prepared to answer the questions "whats this all about?" when you walk past Lens billboards.

Lol I'll have to be quite a bit early (going up in March for the (hopefully) Everton game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back