How often should I go to the gym?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

I would say on a rating of 1 to 10 I push myself to about a 7, maybe 7.5, doing a mixture of cardio and weight based exercise. Is it better to be doing something like a day on, day off or is it okay to chain the days together? Been feeling a bit tired recently and was wondering if I've been overdoing it...

Well unless you're training for anything specific it probably makes very little difference, if you went 3 times a week consecutively it might tire you out instead of one day on one day off but you should adapt to it, how many builders work one day on and one off? None cause they just get used to it.

If you're really tired have a week off or have a week of 5/10

There really isn't an answer to this, to be honest.

It depends on so many factors but if you're just training for health & because you enjoy it, train the amount that allows you to continually enjoy it.

I aim to train 4 to 5 times per week.
Hour and a half sessions but thats just me.

When do you go, before work, straight after, or home for food then go after that?

I really need to get into an exercise routine but seem to struggle terribly for time. Think my issue is I drive home after work and then can't bring myself to go back out.

i do 3 days on 1 day off for around an hour before work and then try to add occasional cardio/circuit sessions in the evening once or twice a week.

When do you go, before work, straight after, or home for food then go after that?

I really need to get into an exercise routine but seem to struggle terribly for time. Think my issue is I drive home after work and then can't bring myself to go back out.

I work shifts,so this week i am on lates,so go around 9-30...When on days i go straight after work,home 1st then out within 15mins after a filling snack.
If you sit down you have no chance!
I am quite lucky in away as work
and gym are within 10mins of
were i live..
Its all about pushing yourself..
How much do you want it.

I work shifts,so this week i am on lates,so go around 9-30...When on days i go straight after work,home 1st then out within 15mins after a filling snack.
If you sit down you have no chance!

I am quite lucky in away as work
and gym are within 10mins of
were i live..
Its all about pushing yourself..
How much do you want it.

this is the key like. get in, get gym gear on, have a protein shake then straight to the gym otherwise you're fucked.

6 days a week for me.
Mon Chest and Tri's
Tues Cardio
Wed Back and Bi's
Thurs Cardio
Fri Shoulders and Legs
Sun Cardio

would train even more if there were more hours in my week! (if our lass says I could) lol

I've been doing something like 4/5 days a week till recently when I've been feeling a bit worn out. Been alternating between 2 days on, 1 off and 1 on, 1 off since.

Probs not eating enough mate.
I always struggle with that element to be honest. Can you recommend a typical daily diet for someone pushing as hard as I mentioned?

Should I be having something protein heavy before I go?

I'm fine for it me. Get in, do a bit more work, make a snack, have a coffee and then go.

i couldn't do that as i finish work at 7 anyhow so going soon as is a must. earlier to gym the earlier to eat after gym, so the more time to digest before hitting the sack.

i couldn't do that as i finish work at 7 anyhow so going soon as is a must. earlier to gym the earlier to eat after gym, so the more time to digest before hitting the sack.

That's when I finish work typically. Go to the gym for 8/8.30. My lass cooks on the days I train so I don't have to worry about preparing anything.

I always struggle with that element to be honest. Can you recommend a typical daily diet for someone pushing as hard as I mentioned?

particularly amino acid heavy if possible. i usually have a shake pre gym for simplicity then having something with eggs/mackerel after often with rice or pasta.

That's when I finish work typically. Go to the gym for 8/8.30. My lass cooks on the days I train so I don't have to worry about preparing anything.

my gym closes at 9.30 midweek, 9 on fridays so i couldn't fit enough in if i went that late - obviously it's what works for you but i think most people struggle if they rest/relax after work to then motivate themselves again.

I'd argue that, if anything, carbs should be your priority pre- and post workout. If you can handle eating before training (I can't) then have flapjacks/bananas and things like that.

Rather than recommend a daily diet - it's best if you find your daily calorie requirements and macronutrient percentages and develop an understanding of which foods allow you to achieve those. Then it's more likely to become part of your lifestyle.

my gym closes at 9.30 midweek, 9 on fridays so i couldn't fit enough in if i went that late - obviously it's what works for you but i think most people struggle if they rest/relax after work to then motivate themselves again.

That's fair enough like. Mine closes at 10 on weekdays so I'm usually one of the last ones in.

It is why I try to sit at the table and do work between work/gym though. If I slouched on the sofa I may struggle to get myself back out :lol:

Cheers lads. I have shakes quite regularly and I have started eating a lot 0f mackerel and the like, plus ghimbap (Korean rice rolls) and other rice based dishes, so maybe I'm not eating as badly as first thought. I'll look into calorie requirements, etc, as you mentioned, Charmless Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back